• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Scope mounting suggestion

Leeboy03

Private
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2013
I'm having trouble finding anyone local that can lap 34mm rings. I have a set of seekins rings that are going to be mounted on a defiance deviant action. I'm putting a steiner 5-25x56 on it and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about lapping or not worry about it and torque it down. Ptg offers a 34 mm reamer but I'm not really wanting to drop $130 on it for just one scope. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a quality set of rings like Seekins, I doubt you'll even need to lap them IMO.

That was my initial plan, but right before I went to torque it down, I remembered how much I payed for that scope. So I figured I would look here for suggestions.

i couldnt find a 34mm lapping bar so i went to a local machine shop and had Mark the machinest make me one. I lap everything. Then all you'll need is some compound. You'll be able to get your money back and then some if you want to sell it cause no one has 34mm lapping bars.

IMO the majority of the time rings are lapped, the rings are not the source of the problem but the result of a scope base that is slightly banana from being stressed on the action. That situation does not exist on the Deviant as it has an integral rail and Seekins rings are topnotch.

There should be no need to lap those rings on that base.

Might check into having a lapping bar made. Rather be same than sorry. If that doesn't pan out, I'll just torque them and hope for the best! Thanks for the advice.

I'm located in Ball Ground, GA. A little town about an hour north of atl.

Ha, or by a chevy silverado!

If you can't lap them and you have a little worry why not bed them? That's what I would and have done in the past.