• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope mounting

JohnyFive3

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2013
Wichita Kansas
Started putting together my ar10 together and got to my scope mount and this almost feels. Little close any suggestions?

Attachments

• 6DF2E03F-4262-41AB-B46A-E694B73A624B.jpeg
    6DF2E03F-4262-41AB-B46A-E694B73A624B.jpeg
    327.1 KB · Views: 54
A few years back I mounted a scope that was about that close. It had a relief cut in the center of the pic rail similar to yours. I sweated it for a while but never saw any signs of rubbing on the bottom of the objective bell. However, that was a Ruger bolt-action Scout Rifle with a barrel-mounted rail so there probably wasn't as much flex as you might anticipate on a floating AR handguard, particularly if you intend to run a bipod out at the end along with any other weighty accessories. A sunshade might complicate matters further.

It looks to me like you'll probably be OK, as the angle of your shot makes it appear that the scope is closer than it actually is, but without being able to hold your rifle in my own two hands and examine it closely I really can't say any of that with a high degree of confidence. Hopefully some of the experienced AR guys will chime in with some advice here, and maybe offer a minimum clearance measurement for you to use.

Thanks for your reply if it was a bolt action I wouldn’t be too worried. It still fits a sunshade just barley... I was looking at risers but the lowest I can find is 1/2 inch and I dunno if I want to raise it that high but will if need be

I thought these American defense mounts were for ar style rifles
They are. That does not mean, however, that they'll accommodate every scope known to man. That's for you to figure out. Some simple math would have told you ahead of time how close that objective bell would come to the top rail.

Is it too low for a proper cheek weld? I prefer 1.5" ring height on my SR25.

This ☝️if you are comfortable behind the rifle at that height run with it although you may have to notch out the bottom side of a objective bell cover to use one.
If you can't get comfortable be hung it and struggle with proper cheek weld and form your results will not be optimal.