• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope option

Cmh259

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2020
So I have a Mark 5 3.6-18, have been toying with the idea of moving into a NXS 5.5-22x50 for long range steel shooting. Thoughts on this? Or am I better off with the Mark 5?

18 power is usually about where my 27x scope is dialed...when I shoot 18" steel at 1 mile. This time of year...the more power you dial...the more the Mirage Monster wants to eat you. I've made hits at 2500yds with the 3-15 Viper PST GenII.

I believe I shoot better at lower magnification...it allows me to see changes in the wind and I don't fret about reticle wobble.

I rarely shoot above 12x-16x all the way out to 1,000. Depending on recoil and the quality of glass anything above those ranges tend to reduce the chances for spotting my own shots. As you know, wind is the killer and if you can't spot your own shots (I don't run muzzle brakes), you can't adjust your wind "guestimate". I'd keep the mark 5 and rock on.

Stick with the MK5, 18x is enough for 95% of long range shooting.