• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope options under $300 for 50 BMG

Grizzdude

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2011
sites.google.com
Looking for a scope that is under $300 for my new 50 BMG. Now before I get an earful, I'll be getting a Nightforce begging next year but I need something that will work in the mean time. I hear the SWFA ss fixed scopes are good, but are there any variable power scopes in that price range? I'd probably put less than 100 rounds through it before I get my Nightforce. So any suggestions?

any good picitiny iron sights I could add on instead maybe?

Re: Scope options under $300 for 50 BMG

Probably only going to get a fixed 10x in that price range that will survive. Either an SS or Bushy.

I would probably go a little higher power on the SS scope, like 16x for a 50bmg. I have a SS 5-20x50mm on my AR50 and could not be happier something to think about before getting a Nightforce.

Reactions: deersniper

Skip ALL variable optics for the <$300 range for use on a .50 unless you just plan on throwing money away. The SS fixed power scopes (like the 12x, 16x or 20x) should do the job (if don't skip on quality rings/mounting system) and the nice thing is that you'll actually be able to get the bulk of your investment back if you want to sell it after getting your NF next year.

As for irons...it depends on which .50 you are talking about and how you can mount them up. Unless you have a LONG picatinny rail, then irons mounted close together won't me of a whole lot of use on a rifle. If you do have the mounting area for irons, then any fixed AR-style BUIS should work provided you can get a decent cheekweld with them mounted.

I Think I'll save my money and go with picitiny iron sights. They are going on a Serbu BFG-50A, it also has a seperate small picitiny rail where the barrel meet's the reciever, should work out good. Thanks ORD, I found those metal AR style sights for a good price!

depending of the distance you have access to, the fixed power mil/mil SWFA SS scopes are hard to beat especially for the short time you are gonna use it.

You could always look for a used Bushy or SS in the classifieds for around $200. I know the Bushy's have a lifetime warranty so you can get it replaced if the .50 dislodges the reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe40x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh for gods sake!
Whats the besy scope for $12? Go back to your Mom's basement.
</div></div>

Found it! I went down there and found THE BEST SCOPE for $11.99!!!
couldn't have done it without you Joe40x!

Skip ALL variable optics for the <$300 range for use on a .50 unless you just plan on throwing money away. The SS fixed power scopes (like the 12x, 16x or 20x) should do the job (if don't skip on quality rings/mounting system) and the nice thing is that you'll actually be able to get the bulk of your investment back if you want to sell it after getting your NF next year.

As for irons...it depends on which .50 you are talking about and how you can mount them up. Unless you have a LONG picatinny rail, then irons mounted close together won't me of a whole lot of use on a rifle. If you do have the mounting area for irons, then any fixed AR-style BUIS should work provided you can get a decent cheekweld with them mounted.

I'm setting up a Barret M99 with a SWFA SS 10x. You mentioned buy quality mounting equipment. Would steel rings by TPS be a better choice over aluminum?

Why not just wait and put the $300 towards the glass you want? Anyways, just as a tidbit, I have been running a Luepold M1 Ultra 16X since the mid 90's...

Reactions: lancetkenyon