• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Scope or Sight with PVS-14?

Most Eotech's and aim point style holographic style 0 magnification sights work well.

just watch out cause the EOTech vs Aimpoint battle is like Ford vs Chevy. I have owned both and have run them into the ground with no failures on either, so it all comes down to how good each looks to the owner. I run a 552 on my rifles that don't have lights or any attachments cause AA's are easy to find and I don't have to worry about matching batteries with other components. I run a 553 on my rifles with my lights and lasers so everything takes the same battery.

Try to avoid the Eotechs that have more than one dot because they take away from the actual "reflex" part of the sight. If you are trying to engage targets far enough away that you need to hold over, then just go with a 1-4x variable that is compatable with the PVS14.

Own em' both like em' both, both work great with a 14. Prefer smaller dot on the EoTech.

just watch out cause the EOTech vs Aimpoint battle is like Ford vs Chevy. I have owned both and have run them into the ground with no failures on either, so it all comes down to how good each looks to the owner. I run a 552 on my rifles that don't have lights or any attachments cause AA's are easy to find and I don't have to worry about matching batteries with other components. I run a 553 on my rifles with my lights and lasers so everything takes the same battery.

Try to avoid the Eotechs that have more than one dot because they take away from the actual "reflex" part of the sight. If you are trying to engage targets far enough away that you need to hold over, then just go with a 1-4x variable that is compatable with the PVS14.

Thanks for the reply. I agree that there is a debate between shooters when it comes to the two manufacturers. Obviously being in the Corps and around shooters, I hear the back and forth.... As stated in my initial post, I do not have experience with any of the sights. I have only used a RCO on my military platform, but just built up my first personal AR, so trying to get the input before making the final purchase (or maybe the first of who knows how many purchases... haha).

I did read in another post; however, that the use of a device with a red dot can burn a spot into the -14.... anyone have this experience? I figure it will take a long time for this to eventually occur...

Last edited:
How about rather than running the PVS 14 on your gun, keep it on your head and use a laser on the gun. I like the versatility of this set up. I don't need to have my head behind the gun to use it, and I get to see in the dark without having the gun up to my face.

How about rather than running the PVS 14 on your gun, keep it on your head and use a laser on the gun. I like the versatility of this set up. I don't need to have my head behind the gun to use it, and I get to see in the dark without having the gun up to my face.

That is what I have much experience with due to being in the Marine Corps. I do currently have a laser/light combo mounted on the platform right now; however, I do want the rifle set-up where I have the option of mounting the 14.

You might be best suited using a QD mount on your rifle for your 14. That would free up your 14 so that you could use it for spotting and then attach it to your rifle before you shoot. This may take some practice but we have used that technique on amush sites. I am fan of the LT133 ( http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-pvs-14-mount-qd-lt133 ). I like it cause I can still mount is on a skull crusher or a helmet then move it to a weapon. It has a larger throw lever that makes is easier to attach at night and with gloves on. One thing that will help you mount it in the same place everytime at night is; mount it on your weapon where you want it; then get some 100mph tape and cut little 1"x1" sqaures out of it; stack about 5 or 6 of the squares infront and behind your mount base (not touching your base but just outside of it). This will give you and indexing point to feel for at night. This will also allow you to run a 3x or 4x magnifier on your weapon with the same style mount during the day if you want.

As for the "burn in": I have never had an issue with this but I have only used 14s and 7s in a military environment where they break about every one or two months and you just swap them out. I know that Eotech uses a NV setting that makes the dot very very light. I am assuming that setting is to try and stop the "burn in", but I have no idea.

Last edited:
Here's my experience. I have prolly missed 20 dawgs at night fumbling around trying to mount my pvs14 behind my aimpoint in the heat of the moment.. Heart pounding adrenaline rush, then to get in on and look and the dawg b gone. After getting wise, I bought a helmet rig and a dbal d2 IR laser. Now your eye is on the critter all the time. Just push a button with your thumb, point, and lay the smoke down. This set up is good for fast shooting, when hunting small tracts. My longest shot at night with a laser is about 200 yards. Now when I'm gonna hunt a large field with long fence rows and ditches about a half mile or a mile long and u know your gonna have a lot of time to spot the critter coming I'll mount it behind my vortex viper 2.5-10x44 with a torch. I keep it mounted on my AR and scan with a flir ps 32 thermal. U can shoot long range with it mounted behind a good scope and a good IR devise. So keep ur options open. My favorite and most versatile is probably the helmet rig with an IR laser. And if u decide you wanna shoot a longer range with a laser get yourself a 3x magnifier for the pvs 14

You might be best suited using a QD mount on your rifle for your 14. That would free up your 14 so that you could use it for spotting and then attach it to your rifle before you shoot. This may take some practice but we have used that technique on amush sites. I am fan of the LT133 ( LaRue Tactical PVS-14 Mount QD LT133 | LaRue Tactical ). I like it cause I can still mount is on a skull crusher or a helmet then move it to a weapon. It has a larger throw lever that makes is easier to attach at night and with gloves on. One thing that will help you mount it in the same place everytime at night is; mount it on your weapon where you want it; then get some 100mph tape and cut little 1"x1" sqaures out of it; stack about 5 or 6 of the squares infront and behind your mount base (not touching your base but just outside of it). This will give you and indexing point to feel for at night. This will also allow you to run a 3x or 4x magnifier on your weapon with the same style mount during the day if you want.

As for the "burn in": I have never had an issue with this but I have only used 14s and 7s in a military environment where they break about every one or two months and you just swap them out. I know that Eotech uses a NV setting that makes the dot very very light. I am assuming that setting is to try and stop the "burn in", but I have no idea.

Thanks for the insight...

Here's my experience. I have prolly missed 20 dawgs at night fumbling around trying to mount my pvs14 behind my aimpoint in the heat of the moment.. Heart pounding adrenaline rush, then to get in on and look and the dawg b gone. After getting wise, I bought a helmet rig and a dbal d2 IR laser. Now your eye is on the critter all the time. Just push a button with your thumb, point, and lay the smoke down. This set up is good for fast shooting, when hunting small tracts. My longest shot at night with a laser is about 200 yards. Now when I'm gonna hunt a large field with long fence rows and ditches about a half mile or a mile long and u know your gonna have a lot of time to spot the critter coming I'll mount it behind my vortex viper 2.5-10x44 with a torch. I keep it mounted on my AR and scan with a flir ps 32 thermal. U can shoot long range with it mounted behind a good scope and a good IR devise. So keep ur options open. My favorite and most versatile is probably the helmet rig with an IR laser. And if u decide you wanna shoot a longer range with a laser get yourself a 3x magnifier for the pvs 14

Thanks! Great advice. I am definitely familiar with the head-mount setup due to many years of military operations, so I may just end up going that way. I do plan on doing some longer range shooting, as this weapon is not being built for CQM purposes. Additionally, I do have the 3X magnifier for the 14.

Thanks again!!

I personally like the 14 helmet mounted and used with laser. However, I also have both the eotech and comp 4 . I like the 14 mounted behind the eotech. I use a D-lock for a QD mount abd it works great. I got it from modarmory.com, and identmarking.com has them also as I am sure others do. I works great and is very quick to mount or take off.

If you want to talk scopes and the PVS-14 I would suggest you PM SkyPup, on here as he has pics and thoughts on this. He uses his set ups regularly.

Semper Fi

To avoid burn in, try finding a 30.0 or 30.5mm IR 720nm filter for the front lens of the PVS14. Skypup's idea, and works great. In fact, many never remove it, as the USGI 3X screws right into it.

I personally like the 14 helmet mounted and used with laser. However, I also have both the eotech and comp 4 . I like the 14 mounted behind the eotech. I use a D-lock for a QD mount abd it works great. I got it from modarmory.com, and identmarking.com has them also as I am sure others do. I works great and is very quick to mount or take off.

If you want to talk scopes and the PVS-14 I would suggest you PM SkyPup, on here as he has pics and thoughts on this. He uses his set ups regularly.

Semper Fi

Thank for the great info!

Update....

This is the setup I put together last weekend; with the -14 mounted behind an Aimpoint Comp M3 (my brothers). Seems to work decent.... will hopefully find out this weekend if the weather cooperates.

Attachments

• IMAG0231.jpg
    IMAG0231.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 40
Just sayin.... Practice gettin it on the gun and I mean practice!!! I'm tellin ya it happens fast, then u r fumblin around getting it on the gun, then u look for it thru the sight and it'll b gone.. So be efficient getting it mounted!!! Good luck, you'll have a blast!!

I run the PVS14 with the 3x magnifier behind a CompM3. Got the idea from Vic over at TNVS. Here is an old archived ARFCOM post with pics of different setups.
Brand New PVS-14 NIGHT VISION Tactical Packages. - AR15.Com Archive
The clarity with the 3x attached to the pvs is outstanding. The only downside is that it also magnifies the red dot. My CompM3 is the 2MOA dot but it is noticeably larger in the sight frame with the 3x mag attached. Not an issue, just an observation.

I run the PVS14 with the 3x magnifier behind a CompM3. Got the idea from Vic over at TNVS. Here is an old archived ARFCOM post with pics of different setups.
Brand New PVS-14 NIGHT VISION Tactical Packages. - AR15.Com Archive
The clarity with the 3x attached to the pvs is outstanding. The only downside is that it also magnifies the red dot. My CompM3 is the 2MOA dot but it is noticeably larger in the sight frame with the 3x mag attached. Not an issue, just an observation.

Thanks for the excellent insight, as well as the link. I am definitely leaning toward this form of setup.

I like the EOTech mounted on a Larue QD mount with the Larue QD PVS-14 ring. That entire setup, from A to Z, was made for a quickly detachable night vision weapon sight without modifying the parts or losing zero, plus the ability to use other optics. Their EOTech mount has a small, raised rail mount behind the sight itself. Their QD PVS-14 mount lines right up behind it and stays on the 14's, even on the head. I think the magnifier works on that rail piece, and I know my flip up irons don't get in the way of it either. Everything snaps on and off like Legos and keeps zeroes well too, amazing. I have the ACOG RX01 on ARMS mounts (not the best) but I doubt that little sight would work well with NOD's but I could be mistaken (mine just doesn't line up). I also have a 4x ACOG with a QD Larue mount that I use on the same rifle, only without the NOD's. I have used NOD's mounted on a helmet behind an ACOG before, holding it up there, and though it is doable, it works in a pinch, it doesn't work nearly as well as a PVS-23 or other clip on, and there I'd prefer a thermal.

There is also the recoil concern. ITT has a lower recoil rating than L3 but better image. ITT can handle 5.56 only, L3 can handle .300BLK, 6.8, 7.62x39 (and due to that, I'd suppose the 6.5G, but I didn't ask).

I went with the ITT for the best picture, TNVC is hooking me up very well with this new set of NOD's, and my preferred method of targeting at night has historically been with the PEQ-2A or an IR laser with the laser zeroed for 300m. I liked the PEQ on the Larue QD mount too. If you know what you are doing and have a little practice, IR laser targeting/shooting it is as easy as it looks.

My $.02.

I know you didn't ask, but for the price of a good qd mount you could get an IR laser and have a more versatile setup. Spreads the weight out a little too.

I'm going to go with the ITT PVS-14 mounted on a helemt (Wilcox L4-G11 mount) and an OTAL IR on my LMT piston. . . stop me, anyone, anyone ? ?

I like the EOTech mounted on a Larue QD mount with the Larue QD PVS-14 ring. That entire setup, from A to Z, was made for a quickly detachable night vision weapon sight without modifying the parts or losing zero, plus the ability to use other optics. Their EOTech mount has a small, raised rail mount behind the sight itself. Their QD PVS-14 mount lines right up behind it and stays on the 14's, even on the head. I think the magnifier works on that rail piece, and I know my flip up irons don't get in the way of it either. Everything snaps on and off like Legos and keeps zeroes well too, amazing. I have the ACOG RX01 on ARMS mounts (not the best) but I doubt that little sight would work well with NOD's but I could be mistaken (mine just doesn't line up). I also have a 4x ACOG with a QD Larue mount that I use on the same rifle, only without the NOD's. I have used NOD's mounted on a helmet behind an ACOG before, holding it up there, and though it is doable, it works in a pinch, it doesn't work nearly as well as a PVS-23 or other clip on, and there I'd prefer a thermal.

There is also the recoil concern. ITT has a lower recoil rating than L3 but better image. ITT can handle 5.56 only, L3 can handle .300BLK, 6.8, 7.62x39 (and due to that, I'd suppose the 6.5G, but I didn't ask).

I went with the ITT for the best picture, TNVC is hooking me up very well with this new set of NOD's, and my preferred method of targeting at night has historically been with the PEQ-2A or an IR laser with the laser zeroed for 300m. I liked the PEQ on the Larue QD mount too. If you know what you are doing and have a little practice, IR laser targeting/shooting it is as easy as it looks.

My $.02.

Thanks for the great advice. I will definitely take a look at that option... as I'm still looking around. I do have a hook-up within AimPoint and have been thinking about the PRO or Comp M3 to line up in front of my NOD's (14's). I don't have much trigger time behind an Eotech, as being in the Corps I am mostly familiar with the RCO. In regards to your last sentence, I do have plenty of trigger time utilizing an IR.

Like you, I would like to mount a PEQ or other reliable IR

Thanks again!

Jon

Last edited:
TNVC has two of the civilian IR lasers, one has the illuminator and costs more, but the illuminator is LED, not a laser. The laser is supposed to be good to 200, 250 or so meters. They have one that costs less without the illuminator and has a visible laser, red or green, but the IR laser is supposed to be good to 450m, which to me for an M4 is adequate, and I could just use a Surefire white/IR illuminator. The other fellow with the OTAL sounds good, I don't know how far that IR is good for though civilian-wise but may be worth checking out. Newcon Optik makes class 3 lasers you can buy, but quality has been hit or miss it seems, in the past anyway. They have some nice looking laser range finders though, that go way out there with lots of gadgets, so who knows?

Aimpoint T1 all the way

I think Larue makes a T1 QD mount that lines up with the PVS-14 QD mount that is always attached to the NOD's. Small, but I reckon it works if you like those sights. They are just too small for me, but if I had a light PDW or something, it would be my first choice likely.

Larue makes mounts, I'm sure, for the regular military M68, or the Aimpoint series. If you like those better than the EOTech, that route is possible too. They can make it happen I'm sure. They also have the fixed and swing magnifier mounts, though the fixed QD mount like the NOD mount is the only one that works on the EOTech mount I think. The Aimpoint setup is more adaptable to using the magnifiers if you wish.

I've just never used anything as fast as an EOTech, and the fact it all lines up using the Larue mounts, PVS-14 and all, is just nice, the fact it is all QD, holds zero, AND allows me to use the ACOG and retain zero on that too, well, that's just the tits. If you prefer the Aimpoint T1 or M68 or other Aimpoint, that would still be the tits too, just a different looking pair (with more options I believe).

You want it all to line up. The optic and the NOD. So find a mount maker that makes everything you need, vs. getting different parts and moshing them together (though that may work fine too if vigilant). The Larue mount puts the PVS-14 at the right spot in front of the EOTech's window. EOTech is NV compatible. I have the old 512, 2AA battery, but the new short ones with the controls on the side and one CR123 in the side, that is awesome and they don't extend past the Larue mount like the 512 does, thus getting in the way of a PEQ-2A, should you have one.

When the NOD's aren't on it, instead of a true aligned dot and irons, you get the irons in the lower portion of the ring, the dot above it. This is actually nicer than having true co-witness and doesn't hamper the speed of the optic with a fixed front sight as much (like I use on this M4 I'm discussing). And because the window does hamper the irons, if the sight is down, just take it off and use the irons openly. Or pop on the ACOG. That is what is nice about this setup.

Larue makes great quality stuff, I feel, that makes this endeavor much easier. I just can't say enough good about them considering how they've treated me and how well these mounts have worked out for me. Hassle free.

Just remember, ITT tubes, 5.56 ONLY, L3 tubes, 5.56, .300BLK, 6.8SPC (6.5Grendel?). ITT tubes have better image (film is only atoms wide, 10 Angstroms?) L3 has better recoil management (ie, thicker thin film, so how many Angstroms wide to achieve this?).

I was looking, and Meprolight makes a 30mm sight similar to the ACOG RX01, a reflex sight. It is tri power, has a visible laser on one side, and an IR laser on the other. Both 5mW, so it is more than civilian, but less than most PEQ's. Still, for the price... Worth looking up. Not sure if you can mount NOD's behind it, but maybe. I forgot the site, but you can look it up using the clues I gave you. Wasn't restricted.

I don't want to fan the flames of the eotech vs. aimpoint debate...but...you have a MUCH larger field of view through the -14 behind the eotech than behind the aimpoint. Looking through the -14 through an ampoint is like looking through a tube - because you are looking through a tube. The aimpoint and eotech are both great sights and I have several of each. I tend to use the aimpoints for shorter range, pistol caliber applications (9mm, .45, .22 AR rifles/subguns) for day and have IR lasers and a bump helmet for the -14 at night. On rifles, I use the -14 behind an eotech for night.

And the -14 behind a telescopic sight combined with an IR illuminator like 'da torch' or a surefire vampire is pretty spectacular out to 250 yards or so - the whole field of view of my mark 4 14x is illuminated at this range.

I am NOT an operator - they're just range toys for me.

Most people run weapon mounted UV Lasers with their helmet mounted PVS-14. I'd look into that if you want to do it the right way. Get yourself a D740 if you want magnification. I guess it all depends on what you plan to do with it. If you are sitting in a stand waiting for a pig to arrive at the bait box, it really doesn't matter, but if you are walking through the woods, you are going to want it mounted on a helmet.