• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Scope Questions

claygunnell

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2013
Just picked up a Remington model 700 in a 300 win mag. Hopefully a good caliber for it. I need to put some glass on it, and I would like it to be slapping some steel plates at 1000 yards and maybe set a goal to shoot 1700. Who knows....maybe wishful thinking. :) What do you guys recommend and or used for my intended purpose. I am guessing I would want something around 70 moa adjustment or more? Completely new to the long range game. I have been looking at nightforce and leupold tactical riflescopes. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help in advance.

If you're looking at Nightforces, I take it your budget is around $1500-$1800?
If so, I'd look at the following:
Nightforce NXS 5.5-25x50
Vortex Razor 5-20x50
SWFA SS 5-20x50
Bushnell 3.5-21x50
IOR 3.5-18x50
The Leupold Mark 6's are nice, but a few hundred bucks more that the above. The Mark 4's are ok (getting to be dated technology), but there are much better values out there. Out of that list, the SS 5-20x50 is probably the best bang for the buck. For under $1000, the Vortex PST, Bushnell HDMR and Elite, and Sightron SIII's are among the best values. Any of these scopes will be able to take you out to a mile, equipment wise, but Marksmanship is the main ingredient at that range.

Looking to spend about 2k for glass. Definitely don't want to cut any corners with the glass or the rings. Couldn't agree more about the scope and rifle being able to shoot a mile but can the shooter? :). That is a goal a LONG ways down the road but... Still want to get familIar with scope and rifle to do so. How much vertical adjustment would I need? Know it will vary some depending on my load data, any idea though?
Thanks for your help crosshair

I would choose the NF 5.5-22X50/56 as they have a long record of reliability and durability.

I shoot a 700 tactical long range in 300 win mag with a BushnellTactical Elite G2DMR FFP. Great scope, less than $1k at most places. My advice is to get a one-piece ring setup with four bolts per ring or more. Make sure the front mount hole bolt doesn't bottom on the barrel. Torque everything properly.

If yo haven't owned and shot a 300 before you are in for a challenging and fun experience.

Looking to spend about 2k for glass. Definitely don't want to cut any corners with the glass or the rings. Couldn't agree more about the scope and rifle being able to shoot a mile but can the shooter? :). That is a goal a LONG ways down the road but... Still want to get familIar with scope and rifle to do so. How much vertical adjustment would I need? Know it will vary some depending on my load data, any idea though?
Thanks for your help crosshair

Most of the scopes I listed have around 100 moa of internal adjustment, with the Razor leading the pack with an advertised 125 moa. According to my ballistic calc, dialing 50 moa with a 200y zero running 190gr bthp match at 2950fps (.57 bc) will get you out to about 1450 yrds. Adding a 20moa rail would theoretically get you out to 1690 yrds. Pretty awesome, and still 5-10 mils of holdover in the reticle available too.

Thank you all for the help and the advice. Now time to do some shopping. :) I need to ship the gun off and have a gunsmith install a muzzle break on it. Packs a decent punch, but still pretty excited about it.