• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope rail bedding

dolecs

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2013
Western NY
I am about to mount my new EGW scope rail to my rifle... if it needs to be bedded, is this something I can do? I have never done it before but I'm very mechanically inclined. I have watched videos on it and it seems pretty simple. Does not seen to a anything to really worry about in the process.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I am about to mount my new EGW scope rail to my rifle... if it needs to be bedded, is this something I can do? I have never done it before but I'm very mechanically inclined. I have watched videos on it and it seems pretty simple. Does not seen to a anything to really worry about in the process.

To answer your question Yes.... It is very easy to do.

I am sure most on here will disagree but I have also found bedding scope bases to be completely unnecessary and a waste if time and energy. That's just my opinion. As stated above others with not agree. I recommend you bolt it on, torque it properly and go to the range. If your not happy then try bedding it.

Bedding a scope base can be useful if the base does not sit flush to your receiver. Sometimes this happens with a one piece bases. If you set the base on the receiver and push down on either end and see daylight at the other end bedding it is an option. Bedding will keep the scope base true (flat) and therefore not transfer the inconsistencies of your receiver into he scope tube, which could damage it or cause other issues. Hope this makes sense and is helpful. Hopefully your receiver and base match up and you do not need to consider bedding.

Its quite important if you are putting it on a factory action like a Remington 700. Its pretty darned easy too. I used JB weld.

Is jb weld the best to use or is there better? It has steel in it's compound so is there a possibility for rust buildup?

I prefer to put the base on the rifle, put in front screws and torque. Check rear and see if there is daylight.

Repeat with just rear screws.

If no daylight either way, no bedding required.

I used Devcon for bedding my scope mount.

just tried bedding my rail with bad results.....cleaned both surfaces, applied light coat of show wax to area...used jbweld for the compound. applied to rail and mounted it. tightened down the front screws and cleaned up excess jbweld. I waited about 5 hours and removed front screws and rail and half of the compound stayed on rail, half on gun. I was able to clean everything off to start new but dont know where i went wrong. Did i use the wrong jb weld? i used the red and black tubes.

I thought so too but the videos I watched all took it off at 5 hours to ream out the holes then put it back on. I'll try again and wait longer or try filling holes with Plato

That's the video I fallowed, he used jb weld and removed after 5 hours to clean holes, mine was not close to cured at 5. Hours and I used 50/50 mix. Will try again

5 hours might work with jb quick weld but not the regular jb weld.

It was room temp, I did it again and waited 11 hours before cleaning out holes, turned out perfect!

Just did mine today after watching 8541 Tacticals video. I used the JB Weld Kwik Set and it turned out perfect. I did not realize how much space was between the rail and the action, good thing I did the bedding.

I have found it works best to to coat all four screws in release agent and then partially screw them in to act as alignment studs, while ensuring that they aren't contacting the base and torquing it in any way. I then remove them after roughly an hour and clean them off with denatured alcohol.