• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope recommendation for FV-SR

smokinrooster

Private
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2014
okay guys I am new to 22 long range shooter need a scope recommendation for a savage FV-SR. The longest I will be shot in is 100 yards. Mainly 50 yard punching paper but would also like to be able to shoot squirrels 50 and closer. I want to stay under $300 max but cheaper would be nice. Would like mil mil if possible.

I like the SWFA SS 10x I put on mkii being a leader to dial the parallax down to under 20 yards is awesome.

If I was only going to shoot inside of 100 yards I might have gotten the 6x

Rhyno I was thinking about the ss line but I was looking at the 16x and thought it might not work to well with a close up target squirrel say 20 yard

Yea, I don't think it would, I'm a little worried about the 10x, the closet I shot with it was 29 yards at paper, it's not to bad looking through it in the house.

That's why I contemplated the 6x, but got a good deal on the 10x during a Christmas Sale at swfa.

I put the Bushnell AR22 on mine and I'm happy with it - suits my purposes anyway and the price was right. Supposedly the parallax goes down to 10 yards, but I found it is more like 20 yards. Other than that, it has a simple BDC reticle and MOA knobs that seem to track pretty good.

Midway only special - BSA Tactical Mil-Mil 4 x 14 x 44. This scope works well for .22, side parralax down to 10 yards. This thing kicks butt for a .22 rifle. I know all kinds of bad things said about the BSA, but it is a Midway only product and is for me a real good scope. It works well, repeatable and I have had no issues with it.

Mueller is good, I have one. Weaver Classic V is also good, for your needs I would suggest the balistic x reticle over the fine dot reticle since you will be using it for hunting. I picked up a used classic v for $260 so they can be had for your budget. 4-16 should be plenty for want you are wanting to do with it.

okay guys I am new to 22 long range shooter need a scope recommendation for a savage FV-SR. The longest I will be shot in is 100 yards. Mainly 50 yard punching paper but would also like to be able to shoot squirrels 50 and closer. I want to stay under $300 max but cheaper would be nice. Would like mil mil if possible.

I think the Mueller 4.5-14×40AO Tactical would be good for what you are wanting to do with it and is far under your max budget. It's a 30mm tube.
Or something else that is Mueller that you like. I'm sure it's not the only good scope, but I think you will be safe on not being disappointed.

Last edited:
GOPR0731.jpg

I have a Savage MKII with a Nikon Pro Staff Rimefire 3-9x40 with the BDC 150 reticle which I use at an outdoor where Im usually hitting steal animal shaped targets at 100yrds. I previously had a $45 Barska and the difference between to two scopes is astronomical. The Nikon is very clear, holds zero well with a lot of great features; positive adjustment clicks, zero reset turrets and the BDC 150 is amazing for bullet drop compensation. Has served me well and is a great tool for $150 on Midway.

The Nikon scope mentioned just above works well on the FV-SR in Tacticool I put together for my wife. Dropped a crow out of a tree @ 93 yards last year with CCI SS HP through AAC Aviator: KaClick--WHOP!

This Mueller 8-32x44/30mm tube is on my Savage 11VT .223 FV250 F T/R rifle.

It is crisp and clear enough that resolving 22cal bullet holes at 250yd is really possible. Side Focus/Parallax and 1/8 MOA clicks complete the deal.

Works; a second one is on my wish list.

Greg

Last edited:
I have a Mueller APT on my rifle and I've been very happy with it. Any improvement for me would be if they made it in a Mil/Mil version