Rifle Scopes Scope recommendation for REPR MkII .308

SemperLiberi

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2022
Wes
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I am looking for a scope recommendation.
  • What is the platform for the scope? 16" REPR Mk II
  • What cartridge are you shooting? .308
  • What is your intended use for the scope? All of the above/general purpose. I will definitely use it for steel targets, may get into hunting or competition.
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Daytime
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? I typically shoot within 300m but I am looking for a scope that will perform well up to the REPR's max practical range, which I reckon is probably 800-1000m. I'm not a long range shooter--yet--but I want a scope that will enable me and the rifle to train up to it.
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? FFP, mil reticle and adjustments (veteran redleg so I think in mils), preferably a christmas tree reticle, throw lever, parallax adjustment. I'll ruck with this rifle so durable, compact, lightweight are desirable assuming other specifications are met. My reading thus far tells me I should be looking for something in the 3-15 or 4-16 ranges of magnification, rather than something higher, but I am open to more educated opinions on magnification (and on any other specification I've mentioned).
  • What is the price range you can afford? Top end. I can afford to get the right scope but I cannot afford to buy a bunch of scopes and figure out what's best. Would prefer to buy once, cry once if I can.
As noted above I am looking for a higher end scope that can take the REPR out to its max, and that I can grow into as I learn long range shooting. So far it seems the NF ATACR 4-16x42 with MIL-XT or Tremor3 reticle seems like a good fit for this application. I have also browsed comparable scopes from Steiner, Schmidt & Bender, and Kahles. But I would appreciate any considered opinions from experienced long range shooters since I will not have the opportunity to get behind a bunch of different scopes before I buy.

n2ishun

LightningTuTu
Minuteman
  • Jan 2, 2022
    Kansas
    beer.com
    Not much to add other than you'll definitely want at least 20x and more likely 25x on the high end of magnification.

earthquake

Area Man
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Jul 30, 2009
    USA
    Top end? ZCO 4-20x. I've been through tons of scopes, even the ZCO 5-25x, and finally found "the one" for me. Been with this one two years now. Longest I've kept a single optic. Not too big, not too small either. Plenty of reticle options, bombproof, stellar glass, locking or non-locking turrets (your choice), smart illumination etc etc. If I could afford to do so, this optic would be on every one of my rifles.

I've ran, Vortex, Leupold, Bushnell, SWFA, Nightforce, Kahles, Athlon and now ZCO. Spent a LOT of money over the years. Not saying it's right for you, but it checks all the boxes.
    Screenshot_20220117-192636.png

vivdav

Private
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Mar 6, 2017
    Rockport, TX
    I have the same gun and I could not be happier with the ATACR 1-8 DMX with an RPR on top. Perfect for inside 400 and stretch to further if needed. Rugged and really like the look.

Night Vision Viking

N00b
    Minuteman
    Oct 20, 2020
    Europe
    www.youtube.com
    My friend went with a S&B 3-20 PMII Ultra Short on his, very happy with the system.

Tremor3 for him. A bit busy for me.

This is the one he got, but on my JP CTR-02, Spuhr mount and new Aimpoint Acro P-2.
    Special tan/coyote version, contract overrun from the Canadian C20s. One of a few, but black works too ;)

The chimney is at 1250 meters @ 20x.

Attachments

• SoB-3-20pm2-1.PNG
      SoB-3-20pm2-1.PNG
      1.5 MB · Views: 47
    • WhiteAR-2.PNG
      WhiteAR-2.PNG
      3.8 MB · Views: 47