• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope rec's? Somewhat short range .223 bolt...

RichS

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2001
PG County Maryland
Alright,
So I sincerely hope this isn't too redundant, but I'm looking for scope recommendations...

The rifle: Howa mini action in .223, will probably get barrel chopped to 16"
Range: Currently no more than 200 yards (F-Maryland
icon_smile_dissapprove.gif
)
Budget: I'd LIKE to keep it around $400, this is just a "fun" gun, so I don't want to spend too much.

So, given the above parameters I'm thinking a mid-magnification scope? Something 3-15-ish? I know I definitely want an illuminated reticle. I currently have a PST Gen I 2.5-10x32 on my 18" .223 AR and a Bushnell Elite Tac on my 6.5 Grendel. I like them both quite a bit, but another Vortex is over budget and the Bushnell is no longer made.

Also, used is not out of the question, so I'm keeping my eyes out for a PST 3-15. So, are there any considerations I'm missing? How are the Sig Tango 4 series? Swampfox? Sightron? Arken? I also really like the looks of the Athlon Helos BTR 2-12. I had a SS 10x 20+ years ago and I liked it, but I want an illuminated reticle. I'd also like to avoid 50mm and 56mm obj as well...

I was looking at the Vortex 3-15 that eurooptic had on sale, but I missed 'em...

I mostly use 50 abd 56mm optics, so have t tried this one but looks like an athlon Midas Tac 4-14 would fit your criteria. Doug at Cameraland would be worth calling.

Athlon Helos BTR FFP 2-12x42
I have one also, excellent scope, similar to Bushnell LRHS 3 -12x, but has 2x on the low end and illuminated reticle. Not as good glass as the LRHS though..

I have one also, excellent scope, similar to Bushnell LRHS 3 -12x, but has 2x on the low end and illuminated reticle. Not as good glass as the LRHS though..
Totally agree. The Bushnell LRHS and variants are much superior, just not in OP’s budget.

My recommendation would be the Arken Optics 4-16x50 Gen2 in either MIL or MOA. Great scope for the funds! Shoot me a PM for more info and a bonus for ordering one. Thanks!

DK

vortex crossfire; punches above it's price, more than suitable for stated purpose, mked to 5.56, light and fairly durable

Used Athlon Midas BTR or Ares BTR - or used Votrtex, something used with lifetime warranty - can re-sell it when you're ready to upgrade

Ok, so I'm still looking. Would y'all consider the PST Gen I 2.5-10x32 still a viable "contender"? I have one on my AR and I like it. Just not sure if there's better scopes for the money out there. That being said, I found them on sale. Also looking at the Crimson Trace Hardline 3-12...

Ok, so I'm still looking. Would y'all consider the PST Gen I 2.5-10x32 still a viable "contender"? I have one on my AR and I like it. Just not sure if there's better scopes for the money out there. That being said, I found them on sale. Also looking at the Crimson Trace Hardline 3-12...

I think the 2.5-10x32 is still an excellent scope, glass and turrets on it are pretty good, the FOV is decent and the reticle is easily thick enough to actually use on 2.5x.
There is some questioning of the reliability of the PST Gen 1 but my one seems to be holding up ok.

I too have toyed with the idea of replacing it, if I did the Athlon Helos 2-12 is what I'd go for if FFP was a must have.

I'm looking in the $400 ballpark
Give Doug at Camera Land a call, mention you are from the Hide.

I just put one on my .22. It's not great.. but not bad.. I don't think I'd get another though.

I was in a similar situation looking for a lower power decent but not expensive scope for a Tikka .223 Compact I acquired for a truck gun on the ranch. Found a good deal (around $400 I think) here in classifieds on a Sig Whiskey5 2-10x42, sfp, zero lock & illuminated. Short, pretty light and I’m really impressed with the glass for what I spent on it. Haven’t dialed much with it yet so can’t really comment on that. Simple duplex reticle - wish it had some basic ranging marks but mainly shooting coyotes inside of 300 yd so I can live with it. I think these models may have been discontinued but at least this is a heads up if you happen to run across one.

8E039A0A-30DA-4987-8BC0-4E419BEB5F56.png

Vortex Diamondback 4-12 Adjustable objective or something along those lines with your choice of reticle will get you going, i have it in my .22 and for the price its awesome, paid $350.

One of my funnest guns to shoot is a low tech, .223, 3-9X cheapy Leupold (bought it for $300) with a mil Dot Reticle.

I zeroed at the crosshair than hold Mil Dots for all other ranges.

Not ideal for "groups" but super fun for steel and plus MOA targets...

I get 5 mils of hold at 9X and can double that to 10 mils if I dial mag down to 4.5.

I have its twin in .308 Zeroed at a 2 mil hold under. I get 7 mils at 9X and 14 mils at 4.5X. I was hitting steel at 1000 with that set up.

1626096512470.png

Reactions: db2000
Vortex Diamondback 4-12 Adjustable objective or something along those lines with your choice of reticle will get you going, i have it in my .22 and for the price its awesome, paid $350.

Just picked a Diamondback Tactical FFP MRAD up today. Dvor had them on sale for $285. For that price, if it's not really what I want I can always pop it on a .22 and keep shopping...

FYEBHtgh.jpg

uFsNhnQh.jpg

z6LH6Wih.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnCarter17