• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope refinishing? Gunskins?

vinniedelpino

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Sep 27, 2020
    Charlotte NC
    I decided to try to build a 6.5 creed gas gun for as cheap as possible to feel out the semi auto long range situation. Looks like I’m coming in at about $1200 and it’s built around a criterion 22” barrel and an Odin HP BCG.

The budget required I mismatch parts in a variety of colors I either found on sale or were hard to find and happened to be in stock. No big deal. The billet receivers are fde cerakote, and since that’s a pain in the ass to refinish I figured I’d spray the rifle to match.

Im not usually particular about looks, but I’d like the scope to be fde as well. What are my options? I’d like to stay away from air cure cerakote and duracoat if possible. I was thinking about gunskins shrink wrap. Anyone have any experience with this? Or know of a better option?

I've used the GunSkins wrap on stuff before including a couple scopes and it worked pretty good. For me the advantage was that I could have a pattern on the scope without painting it and if I wanted to remove it then that was pretty easy too. The objective bell was probably the most complicated part but not impossible, I found that the key to that surface was to have a top and bottom piece and make the pieces big enough that there would be significant overlap. I don't want this to turn into a "how to" but having the wrap larger makes it easier to stretch and cover the scope with minimal creases or boo boos.

This was my AAC-SD in a previous configuration with GunSkins on the NF and AX AICS chassis.

IMG_5296.JPG

I've also used McNett CamoForm but I don't really like it because it can get pretty sticky.

Reactions: vinniedelpino
    I've used the GunSkins wrap on stuff before including a couple scopes and it worked pretty good. For me the advantage was that I could have a pattern on the scope without painting it and if I wanted to remove it then that was pretty easy too. The objective bell was probably the most complicated part but not impossible, I found that the key to that surface was to have a top and bottom piece and make the pieces big enough that there would be significant overlap. I don't want this to turn into a "how to" but having the wrap larger makes it easier to stretch and cover the scope with minimal creases or boo boos.

This was my AAC-SD in a previous configuration with GunSkins on the NF and AX AICS chassis.

View attachment 7655944

I've also used McNett CamoForm but I don't really like it because it can get pretty sticky.
    Thanks for the heads up! Looks good.