• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes scope reticle decision *purchase made* viper PST

dishonored

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2013
St.Amant, La
hey guys I was trying not to start a thread on this as I have been searching and found a few of my questions that have been answered and elimnated many scopes.I will probably never shoot a match with this rifle but I do have that possibility to consider. Other than that this will be used to hunt maybe one time a year if that; mostly getting to shoot steel targets out to 800 meters for fun and to familiarize myself with long range shooting. I do want to learn how to use the scope and be as precise as possible. With my budget these are the scopes I have narrowed it down too. I would like to have opinions with experiences please. WHICH RETICLE!?
MY rifle: Remington 700 sps tactical threaded barrel
Scope choice:
Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 with talley rings and burris xtreme rings from sport optics in hammond.(mil-dot reticle and 1/4" moa)or (BDC hold reticle with MOA) or (v-plex reticle with MOA)
maybe the PST 4-16x50IR if the funds allow.
My question is with which ever model I choose WHICH reticle should I go with?
IF I can get the PST what reticle should I go with? the MOA/MOA or the MIL/MIL... What really is easier to use in the field, faster etc....
If not I am stuck in MOA adjustments on the regular viper so which reticle would be best for this scope's uses. the bdc hold over which supposedly doubles as a MOA reticle the MIL-DOT reitcle or the standard V-Plex reticle... thanks for any helps guys. Trying to make it out to sport optics today and pick it all up.

Re: scope decision

I shoot MOA. MILs are the in thing but I still prefer MOA. I also prefer SFP. It's all about what is going to work best for you. I must have went through ten scopes before settling on NF NXS w/ MOAR ret. Best thing is to try to find as many as you can to try for free or you'll be in the classifieds like I was. The PSTs are defiantly a good start.

You made some initial choices, but I'm going to list some general considerations before you make a final decision:

o SFP or FFP (do a search - there are numerous threads)
o Mil or MOA (which one is personal preference)
o Reticle (go to manufactuter sites and download their reticles and study them. I know these are not on your list, but for example, Nightforce and USO do a nice job with drawings)

Beyond that, ensure reticle and turret is the same (i.e Mil-Mil or MOA-MOA) - DO NOT MIX!
Do not get a "BDC" - it does not double as a Mil or MOA!

I personally run Mil-Mil. The only MOA scopes I have are 4-Plex Leupolds on hunting rifles. The true "Mil-dot" has been superceded by some really good reticles with different graticules.

Good luck on your quest,

Kevin

Thanks guys. I went to sport optics in hammond and got set up. I cannot speak well enough of these guys and Jay for helping me out!
Once I was there I just decided to upgrade and get what I wanted from the start.
I skipped over the 6.5-20x50 viper I was originally gonna get and went for the
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50 moa/moa on top of a talley 20moa base and secured with some low burris xtreme rings.
I am very happy so far and can't wait to shoot it tomorrow.
This will also be my first time to shoot my brand new rifle. Rem 700 tactical 20" heavy threaded barrel.

Good choice. I have the same scope and love it. MOA/MOA is absolutely perfect for me. For my mind, the MOA just translates easier and makes more sense. My shooting friends also are using MOA so it's useful that we all use the same so our calls to each other are in MOA.

Good thread! Trying to make the same decision myself for a Sendero in 7mm Rem. Mag. Only difference, on a more limited budget. Any suggestions?