• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope ring lapping?

xXlojackXx

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2011
    Washington state
    Is it necessary to lap rings in a one piece or picatinny style mount? Logic tells me that if the rings are seated flat and square to the picatinny rail, the rings should be straight.Ive always lapped the traditional style scope mounts, and am just curious if its needed for this application?

Re: Scope ring lapping?

High end rings no. Low end rings most likely.

Aron-

On my new rig, I didn't lap the Burris rings but I did bed the EGW base which eliminated the gaps between the base & receiver.

I lap them all, it may not be needed but certainly doesn't hurt anything if done correctly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I lap them all, it may not be needed but certainly doesn't hurt anything if done correctly. </div></div>

Me too. Only takes a short time and why take a chance binding the scope up.

It may not hurt anything but it may void warranty on the high end rings. I have not lapped any of my TPS rings and sold the last scope I had sitting in them and not one ring mark.

Aron-

Could someone also share tips and or techniques to properly lapping? I'm new to scope mounting and when I lapped my rings it seemed to just take off material where the lapping compound accumulated the thickest. Thnaks.

Also, some rings will leave aluminum residue once you lap off the anodizing. I stopped lapping rings after I started buying good rings to start with.

Start with bedding the base first. To ensure the rail will be true.

I use the Kokapelli kit out of Montana. I always use the rods and tools to test to see how concentric it is. I use USO, IOR, Badger, Seekins, and LaRue rings/mounts. Not one of them has been perfectly true. Maybe the rings are high end and quality that are true to one another, but once they are mounted on the rifles their angles can be off. You have to test the specific rings on that gun to see how close it is.

A good base bedded true and flat with good rings is all you need.

If good rings need lapping, then they are not sitting on a flat and true base, fix the base instead of ruining a good set of rings.

Note the word "good".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A good base bedded true and flat with good rings is all you need.

If good rings need lapping, then they are not sitting on a flat and true base, fix the base instead of ruining a good set of rings.

Note the word "good". </div></div>

+1

I have found this to be the case. Bed the base and everything else should be true, especially if using a high quality rail and rings. I trust the rail and rings to have tighter tolerances then the action, especially if factory actions.

buy the top quality rings and you won't have to, like the seekins, B A Gear, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">High end rings no. Low end rings most likely.

Aron- </div></div>

Exactly! Ive got 3 sets of TPS rings, they dont need lapping.
    IMG_0732.jpg