• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Scope + ring recommendation

jeffl838

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2013
I'm about to buy a Savage 12lrp and am going to need to put some glass on it. I'm looking at the Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21 with a h37 reticle, or a vortex viper pst 6-24. I'd like to get something with an h37 or maybe h59, any horus reticle really, but I'm not a fan of the tremor. I want a set of QD rings since I plan on using it on other rifles, one of them being an ar15 (would a 6.5cm shoot flat enough so that I wouldn't need an elevated mount to shoot out to 1200m?). I'm thinking larue but don't know if I should go one piece or two piece? I know I'll need a picatinny mount, but don't really know what brands are good. Your input is appreciated. Thanks.

Im a noob when it comes to glass, but I do use LaRue one piece mounts on all my optics, magnified and not. Removing them for cleaning the optic always returns to zero when re-mounted on the gun.

+1 on LaRue.

Everyone who has looked at the American Rifle Company M10 Rings was hooked so take a look. Best part of these rings........leaves NO MARKS at all on your scope if you install properly. Also would you consider a G2 reticles I have one left to sell in an XRS 4.5-30 Zero stop. Whatever the case happy shooting!

I would suggest regular rings instead of QD. Just slide them forward in the slot and torque to the in/lbs needed. Once the scope is in the rings, it's no issue removing everything quickly, even with the regular ones. I use barrett zero gap, but the american rifle company M10's look nice.

Take a look at sphur rings if you can afford $400 or badger and nightforce make decent rings as well. Larue is always gtg in my book as well

Also probably should've posted a budget... I'm looking to spend about 1500. I like the m10 rings, what height should I get with an HDMR? I just checked, did the HDMR's just go up in price? I'm pretty set on the h37 or h59, not too keen on the g2. Does anyone have a good site with good prices for either?

Definitely the ONE-PIECE ring/mount as Alex V suggested. This is so you don't have to hand lap the rings to get them concentric. This avoids stressing the scope tube and maybe torqueing it out of alignment.

I like the Bushnell HDMR scopes. I'm waiting until late April for the new illuminated HDMR.

My reticle preference is the H 59 for its versatility.

After doing some research, I'm pretty dead set on an h37 reticle. I think I'm going with a larue one piece, although I'll have to figure out what height I need the rings before I order... I'd rather spend less on the rings so if you guys have some good recommendations for cheaper ring, I'm all ears.

I can't find any h37 scopes cheaper than 1500 other than this: http://mahatosport.com/en/rifle-sco...0x50-rifle-scope-front-focal-h37-reticle.html

Any other suggestions? Still looking for what base to buy. Thanks.

Im a noob when it comes to glass, but I do use LaRue one piece mounts on all my optics, magnified and not. Removing them for cleaning the optic always returns to zero when re-mounted on the gun.

+1 on LaRue.

Larue is Obsolete.

It was years ago.

Almost pulled the trigger on a vortex, but then I heard about the horus falcon... Are those scopes any good?

After doing some research, I'm pretty dead set on an h37 reticle. I think I'm going with a larue one piece, although I'll have to figure out what height I need the rings before I order... I'd rather spend less on the rings so if you guys have some good recommendations for cheaper ring, I'm all ears.

I can't find any h37 scopes cheaper than 1500 other than this: http://mahatosport.com/en/rifle-sco...0x50-rifle-scope-front-focal-h37-reticle.html

Any other suggestions? Still looking for what base to buy. Thanks.

Is that company GTG? A Leupold MK8 for 1500.00??? Seems fishy to me. I've been on the search for about two months now for the right piece of glass and those are crazy prices to me.

I love the G2 reticle, but if you want Horus, you want Horus. I bought Seekins for mine and am very happy. I also have some Badger 30mm rings on an SWFA SS. You can't go wrong with either brand. I have and like the BO base I have for my 700. But if I were doing it over again, and for a Savage, I would look at Murphy Precision.