• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Rings Suggestions? 700 LTR w/ 30mm scope

rmyers2213

Private
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2011
Orem, Utah
I just bought a 700 LTR (.308) and ordered the new SWFA SS 5-20x50. I also just put a Weaver base on but am stuck on what rings to get. Any suggestions would be helpful. So far I am thinking about TPS, Badger, GG&G and Seekins (although I would prefere steel-not illuminum). If any of you guys have any suggestions or comments I would appreciatte it...

Re: Scope Rings Suggestions? 700 LTR w/ 30mm scope

I ALWAYS use badger. Never failed me so i've never considered anything else

I believe that Frank, Jon A., & ILya who were lucky enough to review these scopes, all used rings and mounts by Jon A - Aadland.

http://shop.aadmount.com/main.sc

They look beefy as hell and will be the next ring I buy. Just another option to consider.

Thanks man those do look pretty beefy. This is my first precision rifle so I don't know jack about this stuff. I read somewhere to get steel rings and not illuminum as they are more durable and hold their zero better. Is this true or just some internet BS?

Thanks for those who responded. It was helpful. If anyone else gets on this thread and has an oppinion let me know. Thanks in advance

rmyers,

I am certainly no expert on metalurgy, or even rings for that matter. I will say that if a certain brand of rings is "good enough" for the well known forum members mentioned above, then they are more than well enough for my uses. All these guys and I'm sure many others on here shoot better, more often, at longer distances, with better equipment than I do and probably ever will. That's why I frequent this place..... to learn from people who have alot more experience, skill, & knowledge than I do.

I've heard what you mentioned above also, but can't remember where I read or heard it. I believe that one of the metals may be a little more sensitive to temp. swings - blazing hot to sub zero. How much? I can't answer that question.

I'm sure if you PM forum member Jon A he could explain it to your satisfaction, as I'm sure other members on here could as well.

Strictly just my opinion, but I believe that any of the better known name brand - not cheap rings out there whether they are steel, aluminum or even titanium will do the job just fine as long as they are correctly installed.

It's been my limited experience that it's not the rings, scope or rifle, but the "trigger puller" (me) that is most often the problem. Your results may vary.

MP15- well said and I agree. And I am sure my results won't vary. I shouldn't be stressing over it like I am. I just hate buying something and wishing I would have gotten something else. Thanks for the input though...

my badger ring/ rail set would be nice
laugh.gif

just a shameless advertisement, good luck with your quest

I'll go ahead and throw Farrell into the mix. I have the one piece 20 moa rail w/ recoil screw and a matched set of 30mm rings. These are on my 7mm RM and have been wonderful. Very well made.

Proper alloy Aluminum rings have nothing to be ashamed of when stacked against steel rings.

Until proven otherwise I steer away from TPS Al rings because of the negative reviews that I've read on here.

The other things that people have suggested all work, their customer service is great, and I have no doubt that they put pride into their work, especially Jon A.

Another ring that I generally throw into the mix is the stuff coming from American Rifle Co.

Jon A. makes a nice unimount that is Armageddon proof, Badger's stuff is well regarded by many members here, as well as Seekins and Near. I'm always up to try something new and stumbled into the ARC stuff, which I thoroughly love.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rmyers2213</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought a 700 LTR (.308) and ordered the new SWFA SS 5-20x50. I also just put a Weaver base on but am stuck on what rings to get.</div></div>
I just mounted a PST 4-16x50 on a 20moa Badger base with standard Badger steel rings on my R700PSS.

You didn't ask but I had enough clearance using the Badger standard rings, which in Badger speak means their low (0.823") rings.

I've been using TPS steel rings with no complaints on .308 for a while now

is there anyone besides GG&G that makes a quick disconnect unimount that has a return to zero. i know that larue makes the obr but its high for bolt guns.

AustinN4- Good to know! I just ordered a pair of the Badgers. I ended up ordering the MAX-50's which I know is way overkill for a .308. I got them so when I win the lottery I will be able to move this over to a 50 bmg if I want. Thanks for everyone's input!

I just purchased my first set of badger rings and base and the quality and finish are excellent!

How do I find out what size height of rings to get? I ordered the badger 1.1.. inch rings (and can change my order) but will I want the .82.. if I can get away with it? Again I am mounting it on a 0 MOA weaver rail on a 700 LTR if that helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rmyers2213</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do I find out what size height of rings to get? I ordered the badger 1.1.. inch rings (and can change my order) but will I want the .82.. if I can get away with it? Again I am mounting it on a 0 MOA weaver rail on a 700 LTR if that helps.</div></div>
As I wrote above:
"You didn't ask but I had enough clearance using the Badger standard rings, which in Badger speak means their low (0.823") rings."

Why would you want to go 2 sizes higher than you need to?

AustinN4- This is my first precision rifle and I'm just trying to figure it out and new to this game. The Badger rings I currently have ordered are one size higher than yours and are the ones SWFA recomended for me/my gun (thus the confusion). What kind of base do you have and how high is it? I am assuming that is a game changer as some bases are higher than others? Is there enough room to fit scope/lens covers on your scope? This may be a dumb question but is it better to have the scope as low to the gun as possible? I know I probably sound like a dumb a but I guess I gotta start somewhere...