• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Selection!

EnforcerOfLaw

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2008
Northwest Kansas
Hey Everyone,

Been a while since I have posted. I'll introduce myself again. My name is Korey Ferguson, I'm ex-army, and currently a police officer in Northwest Kansas. I'm a Certified Hostage Negotiator but dabble in Marksmanship from time to time.

I have some experience with the M24 Sniper System, 700P, and AR15 when it comes to utilizing the weapons systems for precision shooting.

I'm currently building an AR15 Variation of a Sniper Rifle. I'm wondering what would be the best scope for this option. I've looked into the Leupold Customs and Super Sniper Scopes.

I would like to hear what other use and the positives and negatives of each.

The ideal situation would be to have a scope that is mounted where I can still utilize the weapon for CQB. I can't see myself ever needing to take a shot over 300 yards with this rifle either. This will be a duty weapon! Will I ever need it as a Sniper? Probably not, I'm the guy that would have to talk the suspect into stepping out into the open so our sniper can take the shot! (Has never happened and hopefully never will but just saying it could!)(Hopefull I can talk him into surrendering his weapon and walking out unarmed first.)

I appreciate your time!

Thanks,

Korey Ferguson

Re: Scope Selection!

For that price and range of use I would look at the SS or the Vortex PST Line. You might be able to find a Mark 4 near that price. Look for an 8 to 10 power variable scope.

The Vortex 1-4x24 fits that bill and retails for about $500. I have been very happy with that scope.

I did research the Vortex Viper PST!

http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-viper-pst-2-5-10x44-riflescope.html

It is around my price ranger and you can't beat an unconditional lifetime warranty.

How would I mount a scope like this to where it would still leave the rifle available for CQB? For CQB I have Flip Up Mag Pull Sights. I've heard of people removing their scope until the situations calls for it but how sure can you be that the scope is perfectly mounted back the way it was before you take the shot.

Keeping in mind that most Sniper Shots for Police use are cold bore shots. Is it as simple as marking where your scope is mounted and lining it up?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Vortex 1-4x24 fits that bill and retails for about $500. I have been very happy with that scope. </div></div>

I will check this out!

Just get a QD one piece mount. Numerous manufacturers produce such mounts. Weaver, American Defense Mounts, and Bobro all make such mounts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just get a QD one piece mount. Numerous manufacturers produce such mounts. Weaver, American Defense Mounts, and Bobro all make such mounts. </div></div>

Awesome, think I just figured out what I want!

Using the 700P was easier, lol! It had one purpose! Definately having fun with this build!

It seems like the QD with this:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-viper-pst-1-4x24-riflescope.html

Would be pretty damn affective!

When using an AR platform for close up engagements most right handed operators will automatically find them selves canting the top of their rifle to the left. I have been on some pretty high speed teams and when training I got to the point that I stopped using my sights while doing close up engagments.
Having said that; they make a canted sight mount that goes off of at an angle to the right of the scope mount on an AR platform.
This could be used in conjunction with a high powered scope and I tell you it would be just the thing you are looking for. I dont have one, but if I used a Semi Auto believe me I would have one.

Take Merritt's advice. You should definitely go with the SS 3-9x42 scope in the thread he suggested.
wink.gif