• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope setup problem seems backwards

ShortShooter1908

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2018
Central Ohio
I'm running a Gen 1 Vortex 6-24 on my 6.5cm. I set the scope forward/aft prone and on max magnification. I have good clarity edge to edge. When I back the power down I LOOSE clarity. The eye box becomes hard to find. What is the glaringly obvious thing did I miss?

TIA

PST?? If so there was a common complaint regarding a small finicky eyebox. Otherwise, sounds like parallax adjustment.

You are absolutely correct, in fact many scopes under 10 power don't even have adjustable parallax. But if your image is clear at max and becomes distorted at lower power, my first guess is parallax.

Reactions: ShortShooter1908
Not sure why the eye relief would shorten with the power turned down but try setting it up with the scope on max power and when prone you are at the forward most portion of the eye box. Meaning if you were to move your head any more forward/towards the scope your view would get distorted. That way when you change to a different position and your head moves further away you should still be in the eyebox. Right now it might be set up such that you’re already at the rear of it and due to a shorter eye relief it pulls you out. Also, parallax and the diopter.

It's been a bit since I have gotten behind it. I hope to at least get some dry fire in next week. I'll check the parallax and see if I can come up with any better description if that doesn't solve it.

Thanks again for the help.

I have 3 Gen 1 PST, agree that they can be and are finicky. Try using a power in the middle of the range to set eye relief. I noticed on one of my first (6-24 ffp mrad), that when I used lower powers, I was fine. Then when cranking up the power, it would act as if I needed to get a smidge closer to the eyepiece in order to not get shadow.

Reactions: ShortShooter1908
The pst does have a rather narrow eye box. If you have the rifle set up for max zoom on your scope, you are probably too close to the objective at min zoom. The image will appear similar to being too far away.

The pst does have a rather narrow eye box. If you have the rifle set up for max zoom on your scope, you are probably too close to the objective at min zoom. The image will appear similar to being too far away.
Any suggestions for a fix? Set it up at 12x-14x?

First, get behind the rifle and move your head around until you have a full field image in the scope. My guess is that you will need to move your head rearward to get a good scope image at min power. If this is the case you could move the scope forward, or increase the LOP if you have an adjustable butt stock. You may need to play a bit with the scope location, but you should be able to find a position that allows you to see clearly at min and max power, with only minor adjustments to your position. Check, sitting, kneeling, prone, any position you expect to shoot- they will all subtly affect your head position.