• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Scope Shopping... Burris XTR II, Nightforce SHV, Vortex PST G2

Chaseerickson12

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2013
Washington
Hey hide members, I am new to the prs world and I am going to be shooting my first match in 2 months. I have just sold my 10x42ss to upgrade to the proper optic for both prs/hunting. My budget is around 1500 for scope,rings,etc... I like the Burris XTR II 4-20x50 I heard that over 18x the glass get cloudy.? The Nightforce SHV is a new find for me and it seems to have all the same options besides 10mil rev, magnification, capped windage. The vortex pst gen II 5-25 FFP would be great but im afraid I would not be able to get the scope in time to practice or even have it for the match. I am running a remington 700 in 308. I want a scope that will be able to grow with me as a shooter so this needs to be a purchase that last me the next several years. All advise is appreciated!

I'm enjoying my SHVs. The F1 version is only 4-14x, though. Not sure if you factored that into your comparison.

Haha, no, the Burris glass does not get cloudy over 18x.

I've looked through dozens of these and have yet to see one I couldn't resolve the target on at 25x, let alone 20x. You will be able to see your target and shoot it just fine with the XTR II. It's a great value in it's price range.

I use mine for PRS and hunting, as do thousands of guys. All without issue.

Reactions: chevy327
My budget is around 1500 for scope,rings,etc... I want a scope that will be able to grow with me as a shooter so this needs to be a purchase that last me the next several years.

DMR2
XTR2 4-20
PST Gen 2
NF SHV

all good options, though I'd go with the NF of the above

along the lines of buy once cry once...

I'd get ARC M10 rings & the Vortex Gen 2 Razor and never look back.

I sound like a broken record... but I've talked to so many people that start with a "value" scope, then graduate to a $1000 scope, then something under $2000... then ultimately end up with an ATACR/Razor/etc. though I know many people that have gotten PSTs gen1 and called it "good enough"

$1000 is a lot of money, but there is peace of mind in getting good stuff and never regretting your purchase or "missing out".

The ARC M10s, having used them... I'm never going back to 4 screws per ring again... might make an exception for Spuhr someday, but I really really like the M10 rings.

The Razor is the most vetted, used, tested, loved scope on the market currently. Other than weight and color, owners unanimously think it's at least a good scope. I think it's the best scope on the market for the money.

Consider spending a bit more up front for this setup... if you upgrade your gun... you can literally just move this setup over to the next gun without needing to upgrade anything.

I'd like to add the Burris 4-20x without illumination for $850 if it is available. That will work fine for you with the ARC M10 rings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaseerickson12
the glass in the xtr is ok, but not great by any means. the glass does get noticeably "dull" past 18x, but still usable. the rest of the scope is pretty good. but burris hasn't been great when there is an issue, but the qc on the xtr is way better than the gen1 pst. i would not get a gen1 pst.

Scope shopping is so stressful lol! I would love to buy a Razor Gen 2 or glass in that price range, but its just to steep for my budget. This is why I find myself turning to the scopes I listed burris,NF SHV,PST Gen2... ETC.

Im am just unsure which scope to pull the trigger on when my only experience is with a swfa 10x42. I know that probably any of the options would please me, but I know that there has to be one scope that is currently top dog in the price range that I am currently trying to stick to.

What I am getting from the above posts is the NF SHV would be better then the Burris? Also has anyone had hands on with the new vortex? Possibly trigger time behind one? how does it stack up?

Should I add the new Bushnell LRTS, HDMR II to the list of optics I am looking at?

Last edited:
In this order.

1.Sig Sauer Tango 4/6- check out optics planet sale right now 40% of some of them. Best scopes <$1000 I just bought a Tango 4 3-12x42 $650 24ozs. 30mm tube Sweet!
>$1000
2.Vortex Gen2-2month wait, unproven.
3.Burris XTR2- Not cloudy glass just not bird watching bright or crisp. A little CA. Will get the job done!
4. Athlon Cronus- Only because it more expensive than the three above. It Should be #1 on your list, if you want a Vortex Razor gen 2, Its close but no cigar! I've seen it as low as $1,350 in Optics for sale section.

Burris XTR2 5-25x50 helped me win my first competition! I own/have owned 3 of the 4 and will buy a PST gen 2 when available. Athlon Cronus is the best bang for the buck and glass is better than the XTR2 by a ways!!!!!!!!!

I don't think you can make a mistake if you choose one from this list. Gen 2 might not show up in time for you to get aquatinted with it, but saying that I received my XTR2 with enough time to mount, zero the next morning and win my first long range competition all within 48Hrs.

IanHusaberg out

Last edited:
In this order.

1.Sig Sauer Tango 4/6- check out optics planet sale right now 40% of some of them. Best scopes <$1000 I just bought a Tango 4 3-12x42 $650 24ozs. 30mm tube Sweet!
>$1000
2.Vortex Gen2-2month wait, unproven.
3.Burris XTR2- Not cloudy glass just not bird watching bright or crisp. A little CA. Will get the job done!
4. Athlon Cronus- Only because it more expensive than the three above. It Should be #1 on your list, if you want a Vortex Razor gen 2, Its close but no cigar! I've seen it as low as $1,350 in Optics for sale section.

Burris XTR2 5-25x50 helped me win my first competition! I own/have owned 3 of the 4 and will buy a PST gen 2 when available. Athlon Cronus is the best bang for the buck and glass is better than the XTR2 by a ways!!!!!!!!!

I don't think you can make a mistake if you choose one from this list. Gen 2 might not show up in time for you to get aquatinted with it, but saying that I received my XTR2 with enough time to mount, zero the next morning and win my first long range competition all within 48Hrs.

IanHusaberg out

I looked at the sig options on opticsplanet what do you know about them? There are not many customer reviews on how good they are.

Hey Chase,

The glass is really nice in the Tango 4 line is bright and crisp. I'd buy the Tango 6 2-12x40 FFP right now if I could($940ish, $600 off normal price).I think they are under rated by everyone right now. They are evolving a little to fast for everyone to keep up and thats why they are on sale right now. New models are being introduced this year and optics planet is liquidating to make room. There loss, your gain. I would have bought a 6-24x50 Tango 4, but the internal travel isn't that much, 60 ish moa. There higher magnification scopes don't have much travel in the erector unless you jump to the flag ship scope and they totally redesigned that one. I heard there was a compound error in the erector? Sig changed there model numbers on there web site so its hard to do your homework and make sure your getting a FFP scope with the right model #'s. You could cross reference withnother sites with more info. The information on optics planet is pathetic. Only thing I can't speak to is the tracking of the scope. I haven't put it through the ringer yet. I'm very impressed thus far!!!!!!!!

IanHusaberg Out

I run a NF SHV 4-14x50 F1 in matches out here in the PNW (NWPRL) and really quite like it. Ideally it would have 10 mil revs and top out at 20x mag but in this price range, you do have to compromise. I would suggest picking up the sunshade and power throw lever if you get it though, they're super useful add ons.

Scope shopping is so stressful lol! I would love to buy a Razor Gen 2 or glass in that price range, but its just to steep for my budget. This is why I find myself turning to the scopes I listed burris,NF SHV,PST Gen2... ETC.

Im am just unsure which scope to pull the trigger on when my only experience is with a swfa 10x42. I know that probably any of the options would please me, but I know that there has to be one scope that is currently top dog in the price range that I am currently trying to stick to.

What I am getting from the above posts is the NF SHV would be better then the Burris? Also has anyone had hands on with the new vortex? Possibly trigger time behind one? how does it stack up?

Should I add the new Bushnell LRTS, HDMR II to the list of optics I am looking at?

IMO, I would rather save 6 months more to get the Razor gen 2. That's my .2 cents.

Have you used the SHV in competition? Has any one used the SHV or Burris XTR II in competition?

Lots of guys are running XTR II's in competition. I see at least a half dozen or so at pretty much every PRS match I go to (yes, I always watch for them and get feedback). This is my 3rd season with mine. I ran 5-25's for two seasons, this year I am running the 4-20 H591 on my 6mm Creedmoor bolt gun and my 6.5 Creedmoor PRS Gas Gun series rifle. They are very well represented.

I think you probably see far more at the club level than national level though. I think only one guy in the top 50 had one last year, I haven't checked the PRS Blog for it this year. The XTR II is one of the finest mid level scopes out there with a solid track record in performance. Frank Galli lists it as one of his top three favorite scopes under $1500. At the national level I think most guys there are paying extra to get nicer glass. Burris glass is very usable as I said. You'll never miss a shot because of it. But it's not bright and beautiful as some as more expensive scopes.

Last edited:
NF SHV
Bushy LRHS
PST II

I would look at these, and if funds allowed, look at the Cronus... Your best bet would be to save just a little bit more and snag a Razor 2. This way you will be happy with your overall purchase cause you chose a proven winner with all the option boxes checked. you can get the 18x cheaper..

NF SHV
Bushy LRHS
PST II

I would look at these, and if funds allowed, look at the Cronus... Your best bet would be to save just a little bit more and snag a Razor 2. This way you will be happy with your overall purchase cause you chose a proven winner with all the option boxes checked. you can get the 18x cheaper..

^^^ I have the SHV (definitely outshines the Gen I PST) and an LRHS. Between those I would go SHV again without hesitation. My experience with NF in general has been great. I haven't had hands on the PST Gen II but they are getting some good press. Whoever said scope shopping is stressful is right. The only way your not going to have buyers remorse is to get your eyes and hands on a few. But there is more than 1 good choice.

I ended up ordering a Athlon Cronus BTR! Looking forward to getting it this next month sometime around 15th. I know its not a optic that i listed but after doing some research off of some of the hide members suggestions of checking out Athlon it became apparent that its the best choice for a mid priced long range tactical optic. I am also going with the ARC M10 rings and ordering a nightforce base. Ill post pictures and a review of the optic once I have it in hand! Thanks again for all the advice.

The Burris XTR II 4-20x50 is a great scope at its price point (street under $1000 and used for about $900 or less) they are rock solid, and mine did not have any issues above 18x so not sure where you read that. The optics are better than the old PST series but not as good as the DMR/DMR II series. I can't comment on Nightforce as I've never owned one because I'm always put off by their smallish FOV and other features, or lack thereof, for the price. You can find killer deals on the older DMR in the Hide classifieds; however, they did have their limitations. I am running the new DMR II-i now and have been really impressed by it optically and like the new mechanical upgrades, this would be the scope I would recommend that is available today. In regard to the PST II, I have great expectations for these and have a 5-25 on order; however, the big question is when will they be available.

Reactions: DangerRanger