• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope suggestion - sub $1800 range

catalyst81

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2012
Utah
Right now I have a Bushnell ERS 3.5-21x 50mm. I'm also one of the ones who jumped on the Bushnell rebate snafu and bought a XRS II. I bought it due to the reduced price with the rebate and I probably won't keep it if the rebate doesn't go through - its a few hundred more than I want to spend without the discount. With that situation in limbo, it got me to thinking. If for whatever reason I don't get the XRS II at the rebated price, should I just keep my ERS or find a better option in the $1500-$1800 range? I'm happy with the ERS feature set, but would like a bit clearer glass. At the price range I'm looking at, what options are there? Am I better off just keeping my ERS until I can spend more?

One of the few scopes with exceptional glass in that price range is the Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56. I had the old HDMR's which I can only compare to in memory to the Cronus, not really a fair comparison in most ways IMO.

I've owned a ERS 3.5-21x50 for several years, and Athlon Cronus (original model, not the newer BTR) for a couple of years. IMO, the Cronus glass is superior to that of the Bushnell, and I prefer the Cronus turrets. Have shot tall target & box tests with several of the Cronus scopes, and every one of them was spot on, which is more important than the glass quality anyway. My personal choice between the two reticles is the Athlon's.

The Cronus' zero stop is far easier to set than the one on my older ERS, but if I understand it right, the newer Bushy's have the same zero stop & elevation turret of the LRHS, which would make it as easy & simple to set as that of the Cronus. I've owned a couple of the 4.5-18x44 LRHS scopes, and liked both of them. What it boils down to for me is I believe the Cronus is a better value than the new Bushnell, though it's a close call in some areas.

I've owned a ERS 3.5-21x50 for several years, and Athlon Cronus (original model, not the newer BTR) for a couple of years. IMO, the Cronus glass is superior to that of the Bushnell, and I prefer the Cronus turrets. Have shot tall target & box tests with several of the Cronus scopes, and every one of them was spot on, which is more important than the glass quality anyway. My personal choice between the two reticles is the Athlon's.

The Cronus' zero stop is far easier to set than the one on my older ERS, but if I understand it right, the newer Bushy's have the same zero stop & elevation turret of the LRHS, which would make it as easy & simple to set as that of the Cronus. I've owned a couple of the 4.5-18x44 LRHS scopes, and liked both of them. What it boils down to for me is I believe the Cronus is a better value than the new Bushnell, though it's a close call in some areas.

I really appreciate that comparison. The Cronus BTR is on my short list if the rebate on the XRS II doesn't go through. Pricing seems to be about the same when adding in the rebate with the XRS II. I really do hate the zero stop on the ERS.

I went through the same research myself. My plan was to settle in the Cronus BTR, especially considering the pricing you can find around here (below the range you listed). I setttled on a used Cronus Gen 1 because of the locals walking I found, but haven’t gotten to mount it yet. I sold the rifle I would have put it on, so I don’t have anything to mount it on yet for a real review.

Have the cash ready to go and watch the PX like a hawk. You can snatch up a Gen 2 razor or ATACR 4-16 around 1800, but like I said, be ready to pull the trigger asap. You can get an AMG for a little more as well for a good used one.