• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope to Barrel clearance

repiv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
The Colony Texas
www.dallasmicro.com
I have a Remington 700 SPS Tactical .223 and an Explore Optics Scope 6-24x50 with Seekins rings and 20MOA base. With this combination I have .230 clearance. I am thinking this is too much and I need to switch to another set of rings. However even with Seekins low rings its only going to be .050 lower or .180 clearance. Is that still too much? If so what rings can I switch to?

DSCN3773.jpg

DSCN3782.jpg

DSCN3778.jpg

Re: Scope to Barrel clearance

With any style of picatinny rings and base you wont get lower than our low rings...The low, or even the mediums that you have should give you a nice comfortable cheek weld on your stock and a good sight picture.

Thanks Glen

This is my first time to use your products and they are really nice!!

This was set in motion to be an inexpensive build with a $570 gun and a $380 scope and it was going to be a $50 basic Leupold base and ring set. However I choose to go with a base & ring set that is much better on the quality scale. I still may order the low rings next week though. I will see how the cheek weld is.

Another option is a Karsten cheek piece, of course that is if you are having cheek weld problems.

If you just want it lower, then try the Seekins rings.

that clearance looks fine to me... save your money and buy a stock pack... wedge some material under it if need be to raise your cheek weld.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that clearance looks fine to me... save your money and buy a stock pack... wedge some material under it if need be to raise your cheek weld.</div></div>

Agreed. Or add a cheek piece. My NXS probably has a 1/2" gap.

found this old pic of my rifle just so you can see the clearance...

with that clearance, on my AICS i dont have to raise my cheekpiece at all.

IMG_2514Medium.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">found this old pic of my rifle just so you can see the clearance...

with that clearance, on my AICS i dont have to raise my cheekpiece at all.

IMG_2514Medium.jpg
</div></div>

Is that a 20 MOA NF rail you have on there? And what height rings are you running? Mediums?