• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope to replace Vortex HST 4-16x44

Biscuits

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2020
Looking for a scope which is a step up from a Vortex HST 4-16x44. About the $1000 price range. Must have exposed turrets, mrad reticle and mrad click stops. 10 mrad per rotation would be a bonus. 30mm tube would also be a bonus.

Long story: the 44mm objective on the Vortex doesn't let enough light in for twilight use; I took it deer hunting yesterday and it was at the limit of being useable in twilight even dialled down to 4x power. For target use, the exit pupil diameter is too small at 16x and I find the IQ not particularly good past 10x zoom. So would like a new scope with a 50 or 56mm objective. Similar 4-16 zoom range and illuminated reticle. The illuminated reticle isn't a hard requirement but I'd like it.

Will be used 95% for target shooting and 5% for hunting.

I have a Primary Arms GLx 4-16x50 FFP on a 22 rimfire which would actually be a good replacement for the Vortex. But I just can't make myself buy two of the same scope.

Have looked at some of the Burris scopes which are the right price but I'd have to add another $100++ for 34mm rings when I've just bought a set of expensive 30mm rings.

I would also look at the Sightron s3 series or the Athlon Ares ETR I've had great experiences with both of them

I just did the same thing, almost. I went from a 6-24 hst and got a used Ares ETR on here for under $1k.

Reactions: Odogster

I just did the same thing, almost. I went from a 6-24 hst and got a used Ares ETR on here for under $1k.
I'll tell ya i had the hst for a while and I was completely unimpressed. The glass was ok but I didn't think it was worth what they charge.

Last edited:
3-15 PST II? It's a great scope and as you probably already know, vortex is worth every dime. You can also find used Razers in that price range.

I’d suggest the Zeiss V4s. Great glass, zero stop, illumination, lightweight, and nice reticle options. If you get the right models they can focus down to 10y too.