• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope truing / MV truing

Deepseameade

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2019
New to the site and have only been long range shooting for the last year.
If you true MV on your kestrel Is there still a need to account for scope turret errors?? For example if when truing the kestrel called for 8.5 mils at 1000yds, and my shots took 8.2 to hit centerline, so the MV is adjusted to hit where my scope is dialing.. it makes sense to me that any scope errors I have should be accounted for afterwards.. do I still need to talk target test and account for errors the data my kestrel gives me? Appreciate any feedback.. I have a kestrel sportsman model BTW

New to the site and have only been long range shooting for the last year.
If you true MV on your kestrel Is there still a need to account for scope turret errors?? For example if when truing the kestrel called for 8.5 mils at 1000yds, and my shots took 8.2 to hit centerline, so the MV is adjusted to hit where my scope is dialing.. it makes sense to me that any scope errors I have should be accounted for afterwards.. do I still need to talk target test and account for errors the data my kestrel gives me? Appreciate any feedback.. I have a kestrel sportsman model BTW
MV truing and scope tracking are two different issues. You can’t do anything until u know what your scope is doing. Do a tall target test first.

You should test the mechanical error in your scope before you calibrate the kestrel. I mean both mechanical and the reticle also. Doing this before hand, you will know what the error is.

For your example on what you gave. If you are calibrating and adjusting the elevation knob to match the impact to 8.2 mils, and you have mechanical error for whatever it equals out to be, it really is not 8.2 mils. Now, say you have a tree reticle, and it is calibrated to read true mils, and you just shot the same elevation hold of 8.2 mils, impact goes high over target, well now there is error calibrated into the kestrel. Following what I am getting at.

Check both mechanical and reticle for error. Since most glass is etched with advanced technology, I have measured many tree reticles mounted solid in a vise set up to take out any human error, and they have read true mils. Test the elevation knobs after that and see what the error measures out at. Do the math formula and see what your correction factor is.

The key for what the kestrel gives you in a firing solution, is to input solid data in the real environment you are shooting in. Identify and reduce any error that may influence that solution. Fundamentals most importantly, optic (mechanical/reticle), ammo (MV, bullet BC, powder temp), this will get you going.

Yes, what you are doing will work and you don't need to enter a scope tracking error in your kestel. If you do get a chance to scope test and enter that value, then true your MV again (same 8.2), you might find a more accurate solution from the kestel. We're talking changing a 1/10th inside the 1000 and maybe a couple tenths outside the 1000+.
Many other programs, Like Hornady 4Dof, don't even offer an input for scope error and only truing MV is used.

Thanks for all the input. Next range trip I’ll set up multiple targets between 400-1000 and see how it’s hitting since truing the kestrel.. if it’s not working then I guess back to the drawing board