• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Scope turret question

surffly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2013
Okay, a stupid question for the stupid question section.....

Have an SWFA 10 power scope.
Im new to using turrets at different ranges. Used to just setting a scope up and always using the rifle at a fixed range.

So the dumb question is what the value range is on the turrets.
Scope has a MilDot recital and .25moa turret.

Why does the turret go from 0-14?
If i wanted to dial 20moa drop into the scope for a longer shot (just picked a random drop) I assume it will be 80 "clicks" right? but there has to be a better way then just counting that right?
So can i use the graduated hash markes on the scope itself? but they are 14 somethings apart?
im lost

The 0-14 are the numbers marking the number of full MOA in one turn of the turret. Note that there are 4 hashmarks between each number. Each one indicates a 1/4 MOA (.25 MOA). Those are your "clicks" as you call them. It's easy enough to dial 20 MOA by turning the dial past 14 until you get to 6 on your second turn.

Does that make sense to you?

Not really.

.25moa is one click. but there are clicks between the numbers. every 4th click is a number. So one full rotation is 15moa?
Why would they make a complete rotation 15 and not 10 or something like that?

Well, of course there are four clicks between each number. Each number is 1 whole MOA. Each click is 1/4 MOA. Therefore, 4 clicks times 1/4 MOA per click equals one MOA. It's simple really.

As to why they chose 15 MOA per dial revolution, that probably has to do with the mechanics of the scope and should matter little to nothing to you as it is not material. Just learn it and use it. No big deal.

Got it, just found it odd it was 15MOA to a full turn.
Guess it just is what it is. The rest makes sense to me

Don't sweat it. When I first started down this LR path, I was a bit intimidated with all the information too. Just practice and learn at your pace and the next thing you know, you'll realize you know quite a bit and have gotten much better.

Just get out there and shoot. ;)

Im also trying to learn when to change the turret and when to just hold over.
Seems alot changes when you arent just shooting at a target that is always standing still at 100 yards....lol

Dial elevation (change the turret) and "hold" (don't change the turret) the wind. If your just getting started, this seems to be the easiest. Works for me and I'm a 10 year newbie. Just my opinion, I'm wrong a lot :).

Dial elevation (change the turret) and "hold" (don't change the turret) the wind. If your just getting started, this seems to be the easiest. Works for me and I'm a 10 year newbie. Just my opinion, I'm wrong a lot :).
This.

I disagree, this guy is new, has an MOA turret and a Mil reticle - so he has to learn his come-ups in MOA but do his wind in Mils? Too deep too fast for a newbie in my opinion.

As for the 15 MOA per turn, you are working with a low-end scope (probably the best low end scope on the market) but the less expensive scopes tend to have less rotation per turn, so you will have to go well into your second turn to get past 15 MOA. So, 20 MOA is 5 MOA past the 15/0 mark.

It easy to get lost when you get into the second turn and be sure you get all the way back to your true zero when you are done.

Higher end scopes eliminate much of this problem - the scopes I run can get out to 1,000 yards with out going into the second turn. Just one less thing to have to deal with.

I disagree, this guy is new, has an MOA turret and a Mil reticle - so he has to learn his come-ups in MOA but do his wind in Mils? Too deep too fast for a newbie in my opinion.

Good eye djskit. I read through his initial post a bit quick, and missed or didn't catch the mil ret/moa turret combo. I stand corrected and I agree that my suggestion would get a bit busy with math.

Bought the scope as it was budget priced, but seemed like a good bang for the buck.
Went mil dot as I figured many people had used them for many years. Idea was that gave me a good pool to pull from.

Didn't realize the recital and turrets where different systems, that is kinda stupid no?

As a basic starting point.

If I am shooting and constantly hitting one mil dot low I need to adjust 3.4XXX MOA on the turrets?
Or about 14 "clicks"(.25 MOA)

Bought the scope as it was budget priced, but seemed like a good bang for the buck.
Went mil dot as I figured many people had used them for many years. Idea was that gave me a good pool to pull from.

Didn't realize the recital and turrets where different systems, that is kinda stupid no?

It is stupid IMO, but it is how a lot of budget optics are. I personally am going with a Mil reticle and Mil turrets on a SWFA 10x. That way I can just read the reticle like a chart and dial it up.

As a basic starting point.

If I am shooting and constantly hitting one mil dot low I need to adjust 3.4XXX MOA on the turrets?
Or about 14 "clicks"(.25 MOA)

Correct. The kicker with the mil reticle/moa turret is you will always be doing math. My first 2 scopes were the same (older leupolds). It's not that you can't work with that mis-matched system, it just requires a bit more head work. If you find that this hobby/activity is for you and have the opportunity and funds to upgrade your optics, a matched reticle/turret system (moa or mil) is just easier to work with on the fly.