• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope under $1500

NorthWinds

Private
Minuteman
Hi, first post here. I'm sure the question has been asked a couple dozen times but I haven't been able to find any threads quite the same as what I'm looking for. So, I'm going to start a new one and let the chips fall where they may. As the title suggest, I'm looking for a scope under $1500. Intended use will be primarily target shooting out to 1000 yards, maybe hunting coyotes on the side. The scope should not be higher than 16x on the highest setting (if variable), FFP (if variable), mil reticle and mil adjustments. Anything from SWFA is out because I can't find a dealer in Canada, and I can't go up another $100-200 to get a Nightforce or Leupold Mark 4 M5. The scope I had in mind was a Vortex PST 4-16x50, but I heard the glass on some of them is very poor. Thanks for any answers, feel free to yell at me and link to another thread of I missed something obvious.

The PST would be a good option the SWFA 3-15x42 would be great but you cant get one shipped to you. Is there a reason you dont want to go above 16 power? A Busnell Tactical Elite 3.5-21x50 might be a great option.

In that range, the bushy g2DMR owns the realm. You are going to have to get into USO/NF/SB/March/Stiener/Khales to do better, and its going to cost more than $2K, some as much as $4K

The PST is nice, but for a little more scratch, the Bushy dominates it, 34MM, 6X ranging, built like a tank, good glass and a ton of elevation. It really is the best value in $1000-2000 optics

Hell I bought mine "used" which looks like it was never even mounted for $900 shipped. There are deals out there, just be patient.

I would think you should be able to get a Nightforce that meets all your criteria used....

I would think you should be able to get a Nightforce that meets all your criteria used....

+1 and with a Lifetime warranty you are set for life. I have actually senn Hi-speed and zero stop models come into that price point. You just have to be a hawk on the optics for sale.

In that range, the bushy g2DMR owns the realm. You are going to have to get into USO/NF/SB/March/Stiener/Khales to do better, and its going to cost more than $2K, some as much as $4K

The PST is nice, but for a little more scratch, the Bushy dominates it, 34MM, 6X ranging, built like a tank, good glass and a ton of elevation. It really is the best value in $1000-2000 optics

Hell I bought mine "used" which looks like it was never even mounted for $900 shipped. There are deals out there, just be patient.

Against a Vortex Razor....???

Vortex and IOR is where I'd be looking . I run a pair of 3-18 IOR FFP MIL/ MIL scopes, they can be picked up used for 1200-1400 pretty consistent.

Last edited:
Midway has nightforce scopes on sale for $1550 iirc right now.
Why limit yourself on the power on a variable scope? You cant always use max power when the mirage is bad but why not have the option?

+1 for the pst. very good product, great warranty. I'd like to see the scope whoever said the glass on a pst said sucks is using.

Why limit yourself on the power on a variable scope? You cant always use max power when the mirage is bad but why not have the option?

Agreed, why are you worried about limiting your max elevation? You can always turn a high power scope down, but you can't turn a low power scope up. I'd worry more about what the low end is.

By the way, for under $1500, Bushnell DMR is about as good as it gets. Just pretend it's a 3.5-16x if the 21x scares you.

Very good advice!

Just picked up a NF on the Midway deal and I have the PST 4-16 and the SWFA 5-20. Too bad you can not get the SWFA shipped, but the PST is a very good scope. The NF will be my third and think they are outstanding so I would jump on the Midway deal before they run out.

Sully

Thanks guys, I posted this in the wrong section and couldn't figure out how to delete it. I posted it again in optics and I'm hearing a lot of support for the Bushnell. There's a gun show in town this Saturday so I'm going to try and look through some scopes, if not find/buy one there. I keep eyeballing the Mk4 M5 but unless I find one that's an awesome deal I'll PROBABLY go with the Bushnell. I live in Canada and our import laws are pretty much FUBAR which is why SFWA, like many vendors, won't ship here. OpticsPlanet and EuroOptics will, so I'll keep my eyes open for sure. I'll let you guys know what I end up with, thanks :)