• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope upgrade opinions: NF SHV to NX8 or ATACR, or Vortex Razor...S&B?

ghott

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2020
Hey guys - looking to upgrade the glass on my .300wm. I'm currently using a NightForce SHV 4-14x50 F1. I purchased it through Doug at CameraLandNY based on the research and recommendations here. With my current scope - glass quality and turret tracking has been phenomenal. I have two main gripes with it tho - which is why I'm looking to "upgrade".

1.) The eye-box/eye relief is not as generous as I'd prefer. 3.1" eye relief has proven to be a little small and a little annoying to my neck.
2.) I'd like more magnification. Initially, I thought 14 would be enough - but I'm constantly hunting for a little more magnification.

Use: hunting anything from white tail to elk and big horn. Might use it to plink steel every now and then. Ranges from 100yds to~ 600yds.
I know the caliber will go further, but I'm not confident in my ability beyond that distance yet.

Important features in a scope for me are:
- Quality glass, good warranty, proven brand/product
- Reliable and repeatable external turret adjustment and tracking w/zero stop
- Durability
- FFP reticle
- Max magnification in the 24+ range
- 50mm or 56mm objective
- Generous eye box/eye relief

I'm struggling to choose between the below 5 considerations. My initial thought was to just stick w/ the NightForce 50mm and jump up to the NX8 for ~$850 premium over my current SHV. The eye box/eye relief on the NX8 is still a bit of a concern here for me though. The Vortex stuff...I love the price on those - but the durability and turret tracking don't seem to be quite as good as the NF stuff (from what I've read). Then I'm also wondering if it's worth it to step up to a 56mm objective (and the extra weight that comes with that) and/or spend A LOT more money on the ATACR or SB.

Current 50mm considerations:
- NightForce NX8 4-32x50 F1 ($2150)
- Vortex Razor HD AMG 6-24x50 ($2500)

Current 56mm considerations:
- Vortex Razor HD Gen2 4.5-27x56 ($2000)
- NightForce ATACR 5-25x56 F1 ($3100)
- S&B PM II 5-25x56 ($3200)

So...price range: I'd prefer to stay in the $2500 or under range - and obviously the cheaper ones in my list above appeal to my wallet, but I don't want to cheap out on glass and regret it. If needed, I could step up to a maximum of $3200...the buy once cry once....it'd be a good long hard ugly cry at $3k+

Any opinions on the above lineup? Any others contenders I missed and should consider (Something from Zeiss, Swarovski, etc.)?
Thanks for any and all help!

I'd go AMG or ATACR, shop here in the px for a good deal first.

I 2nd the suggestion on the AMG. I’ve been very happy with mine and it seems to fit your feature list pretty well. I guess the only drawback for the AMG would be reticle choices however, I happen to like the EBR-7B for my application which is mainly steel target shooting. Good tracking and glass, light weight, no drama warranty and can frequently be found in the PX around the 2k price point. I also appreciate the effort Vortex put into producing a scope that is USA made.

Reactions: Jcaplinger199
For under $2500 it’s really hard to beat a used Minox ZP5. If you’re patient, they show up in the PX in the low 2k range. I don’t think anything else under 2500 comes close.

Don’t sleep on the Razor gen 2. Lot of scope for $2,000 or less if you grab one out of PX. Turrets are bomber, no issue there. Had an Atacr 5-25, didn’t see $1,000 dollars difference vs Razor. Just one mans opinion.

Appreciate the input! The more I read about the Razor AMG, the more I'm leaning towards it. I'll keep an eye out to see if I can find a decent deal on a brand new one (do any site sponsors offer discounts on Vortex products)? In the mean time, I also plan to keep an eye on the PX for some even better used glass.

I think the AMG is an atrocious hunting scope. Whoever decided that a bottom mag of 6x made for a good hunting scope was an idiot.

Appreciate the input! The more I read about the Razor AMG, the more I'm leaning towards it. I'll keep an eye out to see if I can find a decent deal on a brand new one (do any site sponsors offer discounts on Vortex products)? In the mean time, I also plan to keep an eye on the PX for some even better used glass.
Scott at Liberty Optics is the man to talk to. See link below and add to cart to see the true price. He runs sales from time-to-time as well.

Durability of the razor series hasn't been an issue. They are portly, and that should be a consideration on a hunting rifle.
As always, I'll throw in my recommendation for the Sightron SVSSED 4.5-24 they have a ZS model and a non ZS model.

I just bought a PMII Tremor 3 for $2k in the PX. I’ve been looking for some time though. Depends how big of a hurry you’re in. There’s a Minox there now for $2200. Also depends what reticle you like. That’s what took me so long to find the right deal.

Well, I made a decision this morning. Called Doug at CameraLand and decided to pull the trigger on an ATACR 5-25x56 F1 (MIL-C). The ATACR was obviously more spendy than the NX8 or AMG, but I think it'll be worth it (Not to mention, Doug gives a nice discount for members).

For my application, I believe the ATACR is less of a compromise vs. the NX8 or AMG. As silly as it might sound, I've literally been losing sleep over this - and I now feel good about the choice (praying my wife will feel good about it too lol).