• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope with large eyebox for new/young shooter?

alaskalanche

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2017
I’ve hada CZ “tacticool” in an MDT chassis for several years now and have had a ton of fun with it. I have had a SWFA 3-15 on there the whole time with zero complaints. However, my daughter will be turning 5 soon and wanting to get her comfortable shooting with an easier to get behind the scope with a full sight picture and large eyebox. While it’s never been an issue for myself or my wife I do know that this SWFA 3-15 is a bit tight on eyebox. I will be pulling the buttstock in to get the LOP right and cheek height set for her as well but still want to make it as natural as possible for her to gain full sight picture.

If I were to replace the SWFA 3-15 with something a bit easier to get behind that is similar in magnification range, parallax down to 10m would be ideal, preferable still 30mm so I can use the same rings, zero stop would be nice, dial reliably, be MILs based preferably, and have somewhat decent glass (SWFA glass is fine for me), and big ol eye box at around $600 or less what might one suggest?

Thanks for any insight.

Last edited:
I’ve hada CZ “tacticool” in an MDT chassis for several years now and have had a ton of fun with it. I have had a SWFA 3-15 on there the whole time with zero complaints. However, my daughter will be turning 5 soon and wanting to get her comfortable shooting with an easier to get behind the scope with a full sight picture and large eyebox. While it’s never been an issue for myself or my wife I do know that this SWFA 3-15 is a bit tight on eyebox. I will be pulling the buttstock in to get the LOP right and cheek height set for her as well but still want to make it as natural as possible for her to gain full sight picture.

If I were to replace the SWFA 3-15 with something a bit easier to get behind that is similar in
magnification range, parallax down to 10m would be ideal, preferable still 30mm so I can use the same rings, zero stop would be nice, dial reliably, be MILs based preferably, and have somewhat decent glass (SWFA glass is fine for me), and big ol eye box at around $600 or less what might one suggest?

Thanks for any insight.

Trijicon 2.5-10x56 will start around $650+ depending on options. It has 4.1" of eye relief.

https://www.eurooptic.com/trijicon-...7&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=avantlink

Trijicon 2.5-10x56 will start around $650+ depending on options. It has 4.1" of eye relief.

https://www.eurooptic.com/trijicon-...7&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=avantlink
I would buy a red dot, starting kids with red dots is easy, Teaches them target acquisition, positioning the rifle to hit, Transitioning to a scope after is a piece of cake. Sighting the dot in at 15-20 ensures almost moa to 70+ yards, Make it fun, not a challenge.
The age old adage of teaching kids on iron sights is BS.
Unless you are willing to make your rifle close to unusable for you and your wife, cutting the stock down, etc.., make it enjoyable for the kid, Having fun reactive targets for a kid 10X more fun than shooting dots at whatever distance. 5 yr olds do not need to dial scopes.

Reactions: Masojoh
Oh great idea!! I got a red dot I can slap on there. And yes got a whole back stop in they yard with 30+ flip or spin targets to get that immediate gratification with. I agree the 5 year old won’t be dialing regardless of the scope but when dad wants it back from time to time he might ;). Thanks again for the good idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: Milo 2.5
Oh great idea!! I got a red dot I can slap on there. And yes got a whole back stop in they yard with 30+ flip or spin targets to get that immediate gratification with. I agree the 5 year old won’t be dialing regardless of the scope but when dad wants it back from time to time he might ;). Thanks again for the good idea.
I have started a fair amount of kids on 22's, getting the fit is paramount, if you can't, red dots are forgiving. Not getting into a lengthy post, but it seems to work better when the kids tell you they want to be like you, rather than trying to make the kid be like you upfront. But also, I tend to start kids a little early, successes and failures have always been a part of the game.
I had a 3.5 yr old, take to a 3-9 Luepold EER rimfire scope like a champ, we were like wow, he moved the rear bag like a champ, and hit. Next time out, it was like he had never shot, even trying to use his non dominant eye. It was tough to start fresh now. We taped his shooting glasses and got him going. It is all in the excitement level. You can have 500 worth of steel, hitting a empty paint can will be the highlight of the day. I swear there are days I learn more from kids than they ever could from me.

Red dot is a great idea. May I add my own little suggestion? Tape the objective end with opaque or with some scotch tape to make it fuzzy. It will force them to keep their off axis eye open, and hopefully extend to other scope use, or at least red dots. I don’t know of anyone else saying this, so I am open to critiscism and contrary thoughts on it. I’d try it with my kids, bit I’ve run out of kids to start training.

On scopes, for someone that young, I’d start them out with a fixed power scope. Specifically for 22lr, I’d suggest a 10X scope. SWFA with the side paralax- though with 10X it is less important. Fixed gives better optics and I think better eye box than variable, and is usually cheaper. It is one less variable for them to screw with or worry about. My son’s 455VPT and a SWFA 10X has done him well. He wasn’t 5 when we started, but he wasn’t much older

Reactions: alaskalanche