• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scopes Country of Manufacture vs Quality

Doug308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
So, these scopes we have today are mostly being made in China, Philippines, and to a lesser degree Japan, Germany, USA . I would assume the scopes made in USA, Germany and Japan are going to be very good high quality. China is most likely a mixed bag, some good and some complete junk. That leaves the Philippines.

How are these Philippine made scopes ?

for example, Bushnell Forge made in China ($750 to $950) Vortex PST Gen II made in Philippines ($1000) Nikon Black FX1000 made in Philippines ($750)

Don't know about Philippines but I have a Bushnell Forge and have zero complaints with it.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
That's a tough question!

People are human and make mistakes - $4500 scopes sometimes need repair, we've seen the threads. I had to send a S&B back twice. German manufacture.

I haven't had to send back an Athlon scope back yet, though some friends have. Chinese manufacture,

One of the most disappointing scopes I have is a SWFA 3-15, the glass sucks in it to my eyes. Had 5 SWFA scopes and sold 4. Japan Manufacture.

The "main" complaint the Burris XTR2's had was glass quality. I have one and that aspect does bother me. I think this model is Japanese rather than Philippines being a 1-8.

^^^^^ I'm pretty sure that both those Co's would say those scopes are "within spec"??!! What are they going to do replace all the glass???

I think all of us can nitpick any brands scope, and we all have a budget in mind, personally for me it comes down to what features I get for what price. I want the most for the least$ and I prefer certain features.

Unfortunately we have to settle for next most favorite since often a favorite feature or 3 will be missing. Take my wants if I could have them, my preference is an all .2 reticle in a Athlon Midas TAC 6-24 because of it's 10Y focus, nope Ares BTR is as close as I get with a 25Y focus and it's more expensive.

Having the features I wanted meant I had to spend the big bucks on the S&B's back then. As much as I like them spending that kind of money isn't going to happen anymore at this stage of my life.

There's the fact that we have our regular rifles that a less expensive scope might be more appropriate on. I keep telling myself, as I look at the nifty walk about varmint rifle on my fireplace hearth, that I need to upgrade the $169 mil/mil SFP scope it wears, but for now at least I'm content because it does the job and has the features I set out to get, while coming in way less than budget. "I bought this cheap Chinese scope purely as an experiment and fully planning on selling it supposing I wouldn't like it", nope it is more than I expected and fine unless I see something else in the future that exceeds it's merit for my purposes on that rifle.

I figure as long as a scope Co has a good hassle free warranty, and the scope is fitting for my wants, I'll just send it back if or when something breaks - or live with it's faults.

Within reason (no barska, NC star, lol) - ^^^^ I don't care which origin of manufacture, if a scope is near to exactly what I want, and fits in budget, it's getting bought!!! Speaking of this I'm mostly happy with those Athlon Talos BTR 4-14's, why ??, because it's only $300, FFP, focuses at 10Y, has an all .2 reticle, is compact, and has better glass than the mentioned SWFA, it lacks a bit it in quality but gets the job done on the appropriate rifles they are mounted on. You'll laugh, I don't blame you, but I was trimming/"shooting off" the highest dead branches on my hardwood tree's with this scope that sits on a FX Impact PCP air rifle. Saved me from renting a lift because my 28' ladder won't reach and didn't want to risk falling! FS on 3 sides of my property in dense Ponderosa forest.

Chinese manufacture requires final QC on every unit - ideally, with a quality engineer from stateside inspecting all individual parts before final assembly - due to a cultural emphasis of corner cutting everywhere feasible. That said, the outfits over there can make an excellent product.

In the Philippines, Bangladesh, etc., you need very precise assembly jigs and fixtures that are impossible to use wrong, and sometimes they’ll still manage, but the jigs and fixtures will be used even if it takes a bit longer to set up, and a final function check on every part will likely be sufficient. You don’t need the partwise inspection to catch latent faults.

If the facility is elsewhere, you just pay a higher base labor rate (or automated tooling investment) and use sparse part inspection and assembly teardowns for the quality control.

The price difference between options one and three is not what it used to be.

There are exceptions, but generally:

China<Philippines<Japan=USA=Europe

That is quality only and it is mostly anecdotal and varies with price point. Performance is a little tougher to specify.

Any opinions on the Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 ? It is made in CHINA but seems to get good reviews, just watched a Youtube Review by TiborasaurusRex

I got one of the first bronze Ares ETRs that shipped, believe it was out of the first run of these scopes to make it stateside. I've used it on a custom 7mm-08 Improved, 40XB .22RF repeater, and it's currently sitting on a custom M70 in 6x47 Lapua. No problems of any sort with this scope; one of the first times I had it down on my range at 600yds was an overcast, rather dark & humid day, and I was shooting with it on the 7-08 Imp along side a Bighorn in 6 Dasher with a pre-BTR Cronus scope. There were times during the couple of hours of shooting these two rifles that I felt the new ETR had glass slightly better than the Cronus - it certainly didn't appear to be any worse in either resolution/clarity or brightness. As I recall, there wasn't a lot of visible mirage that day, so can't comment on how well the ETR handled mirage vs the Cronus.

Out of the box, I felt the clicks/detents on the ETR's turret knobs were almost too distinct - it took a fair amount of effort to get the knobs to break-out from one click to the next, making it a little difficult to get just one click. The Cronus felt a little mushy by comparison, but I was used to the Cronus, as I have them on several precision 22RF repeaters, and have used them all a lot. Never seem to have any problem getting one click on a Cronus if that's what I'm after, nor do I have any problem counting clicks if I don't want to raise up so I can look to confirm how many tenths of a mil I just put on or took off. However, running the ETR on the 22RF 40XB meant a lot of twirling the knobs, especially the elevation turret, and that aided in getting things worn-in a tad, to the point that, while the clicks are still very distinct, they're also smoothed out to the point that I have no problem taking one click on either windage or elevation turrets. Maybe I just got used to how distinct the clicks are, but I do feel they wore-in a bit also.

Just finished comparing the eyebox on this ETR to that of a pre-BTR Cronus & Kahles K624i, all set at max magnification - none of them seem too tight to me. The Ares ETR is very similar to the Cronus, and both seem a little less picky than the Kahles, which I've never felt was too tight to be a bother. Overall, I still like my Kahles scopes better than anything else I've shot behind, but at the same time, there's not so much difference to my eye in optical quality that I'm not happy with either of the Athlon scopes. Due to the fact that I shoot my .22s a heckuva lot more often than any of my CF rifles, I'm very much more familiar with the Cronus scopes than either the ETR or Kahles. I still love the Kahles scopes' turrets & parallax control - and also appreciate the great depth of field these scopes have, while parallax focus is quite a bit more critical on both the ETR & Cronus. This becomes very noticeable while shooting the .22s on a stage where targets are set from 50 to 200yds, with several targets at intermediate distances between the extremes. If time's tight, running the parallax knob for shots at each distance can run me out of time, which makes me wish the Cronus had as much depth of field as the Kahles. I can set the Kahles scopes parallax at 500-600 and forget it for most of the shots in a CF PRS match - but it's so easy to see & set parallax on the Kahles scopes that I often do it whether I really need to or not.

There ya go - my opinions on these scopes. Worth just what you paid for it...lol

Reactions: patriot07
As I started learning the long range shooting game and try to grasp some sort of handle on what equipment I could afford, I had to learn and explore the budget optics field. I started to feel out what gear I could use to get by even if it it didnt have a name on it that people could take to the bank with reliability. But I found what those posted above, in that country of manufacture is not always synonymous with junk or quality.

Scopes made on the Philippines are generally okay optics. I've had a few.

As far as durability goes....

USA = Japan > Germany/Austria > Philippines > China