• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scoping an M1A.

Kilo-Sierra

Private
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2011
Oklahoma
Trying to decide on a scope and mount for my M1A. I think i have the mount narrowed down to a Basset, or maybe a Sadlak, any thoughts there would be welcome.

I am planning to use the gun primarily for mid to longer range stuff, hunting and target shooting out to a max of 600 to maybe 800, but most of my shooting will be in the 200 to 400 range.I would like to shoot some 600 yard matches just for the fun and learning it would provide as well. I am limited to around $300 for the scope, and the two scopes that really interest me are the SWFA SS scopes with the Mil reticle, and the Mil turrets. I can't decide between 6 or 10 power. I have looked at some other scopes, and would kinda like a variable power scope, but am worried about their durability in that price range. Plus I want one with parralax adjustments, and I really like the Mil reticle and turrets.

Anything else I should look at? or any other suggestions?

Re: Scoping an M1A.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HeroFish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sadlak Titanium or Sadlak Airborne

unless your running a Sage chassis - in which case go with the Sage Detachable Cantilevered Sight mount. </div></div>

I used the larue mount on my M1A in a sage - worked very well and not as expensive as the sage mount. It's not listed on their website, but they sell them.

Have a GI fiberglass stock at the moment. I may re stock it, but it will be a traditional stock. Bedded walnut, or maybe have the current stock bedded.

If your on a budget get the Sadlak aluminum mount with the SS fixed 10x. Its the one in the middle. I've shot it to 1000 yards.
Not on a budget get the Sadlak titanium mount and a Nightforce scope. It's the one on the top. I've shot it to almost 1200 yards.
IMG_4981.jpg

Sadlak aluminum, over a Basset steel mount? Not arguing I just thought steel would be better. No problems with your Sadlak Aluminum mount? How many rounds through the fun with it on? Thanks!

While admittedly I'm not the world's expert, the cheap-ass Sprinfield mount I'm running on my crap-ass Chinese made Weaver 2.5-10x lets me shoot out to 500M all day long with MOA consistency. As it's a quarter the cost of the Sadlak mount, honestly it's my first choice...

I'm running the black fiberglass stock, and it's my intention to have it bedded, THEN worry about high-end mounts and optics. Whatever you do, I recommend one of the drill-through adjustable height cheekpieces, it allows you to get a real cheek-weld, as opposed to a jaw-weld.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kilo-Sierra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sadlak aluminum, over a Basset steel mount? Not arguing I just thought steel would be better. No problems with your Sadlak Aluminum mount? How many rounds through the fun with it on? Thanks!</div></div>

The Bassett mount is aluminum too. I prefer the arms 18 mount. It's similar to the sadlak, but much lower. They are not as flexible to receiver variances as the sadlak though so some people have had issues with out of spec receivers.

I wouldn't get too "involved" with it Open sights are good. Mine only shot 3 in. groups, at 100, with a 4-16 Monarch. Great gun, but not a "hole driller". Mine was an off the shelf Loaded version.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The Bassett mount is aluminum too. I prefer the arms 18 mount. It's similar to the sadlak, but much lower. They are not as flexible to receiver variances as the sadlak though so some people have had issues with out of spec receivers. </div></div>

Ahh, my bad. Thanks for the input.

Leaning Sadlak Aluminum now. Any thoughts on the scope? Again my optics price range is about $300.

300$ I'd get an SWFA Super Sniper with mil adjustments and new style reticule no question about it.

Has anyone used one of the newer springfield mounts that connects to the stripper clip guide? I have been thinking of getting into M14pattern again as a friend of mine has a poly with USGI parts he'll sell for 750.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kilo-Sierra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trying to decide on a scope and mount for my M1A. I think i have the mount narrowed down to a Basset, or maybe a Sadlak, any thoughts there would be welcome.

I am planning to use the gun primarily for mid to longer range stuff, hunting and target shooting out to a max of 600 to maybe 800, but most of my shooting will be in the 200 to 400 range.I would like to shoot some 600 yard matches just for the fun and learning it would provide as well. I am limited to around $300 for the scope, and the two scopes that really interest me are the SWFA SS scopes with the Mil reticle, and the Mil turrets. I can't decide between 6 or 10 power. I have looked at some other scopes, and would kinda like a variable power scope, but am worried about their durability in that price range. Plus I want one with parralax adjustments, and I really like the Mil reticle and turrets.

Anything else I should look at? or any other suggestions? </div></div>

Well I started with the classic Griffin and Howe claw hook for the M14, but that was with a Leopold 2X7 scope and a Devine M1A which are still the best ever made since they were produced with M14 production tooling. The Bassett doesn't need to remove the clip guide and I have one on the way. It's a good little tactical mount, the Sadlak is made for serious distance work which means like many of the current generation of mounts, you'll have to remove the clip guide. I won't. I used that G&H/Leopold combo out to 1000 yards just fine (but I was younger and my eyes were better chuckle). PS we shot 1000 yards with 2 stages, 1st iron sights, second any sights. Never shot less then 80% of score on my worst day.

One more serious note: Mike has a way to test your receiver to make sure it's USGI standards since the mount is made to M14 specs. Be sure to do this to make sure you won't have a problem with the mount. Mike's good people.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kilo-Sierra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have a GI fiberglass stock at the moment. I may re stock it, but it will be a traditional stock. Bedded walnut, or maybe have the current stock bedded. </div></div>

Sorry to say this, but the USGI glass stocks are junk. They were made for two reason (Drill and jungle use), but the performance of the rifle with that stock was so bad, production was limited and the stocks were surplussed off. I tried and tried with those stocks and then simply tossed them when I found any in a lot of stocks I bought.

You want a great glass stock, goto McMillan. I've used and worked with them since the late 70's. best of all, the M1A stock is a copy of the P.J. Wright heavy NM stock made for the USMC. Interesting story on that one. M3A stock is superb, but it's mainly for scoped rifles (although I have used one iron sights). USMTU (or AMU, AMTU) uses them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of course the best solution is just getting an M25 receiver:

http://www.lrbarms.com/m14receivers.html
</div></div>

If you use a scope mount that blocks the iron sights, that's tactically unsound. Glass goes down, iron sights are always best to keep available.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rnuovrcj5</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I've got one from these guys. http://www.m14.ca/ Solid as hell and adjustable for cant. You do lose the rear iron sight if that matters to you though </div></div>

Tactically unsound.

FYI rojkoh was banned from m14forum.com for being a general nut.

Yup. Knew that. I won't be spending $750 on a new stock anytime soon, my M1A shoots groups around 1 moa with the USGI glass stock, that's good enough for me for the time being. I like the look and feel of a nice Walnut stock, so my go that route in the future. And the Current 1 moa is with iron sights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 08Cayenne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your on a budget get the Sadlak aluminum mount with the SS fixed 10x. Its the one in the middle. I've shot it to 1000 yards.
Not on a budget get the Sadlak titanium mount and a Nightforce scope. It's the one on the top. I've shot it to almost 1200 yards.</div></div>

What ring height did you use on the one with the Sadlak and SWFA?
and could it have gone lower?

Love my basset high mount with vortex scope.
I am able to get under 1" groups all day with my setup.
2 weekends ago, with handloads, 168gr, I was able to put 8 shots into the 1" circle.

With the sadlak, you have to remove the stripper guide. With teh Basset, I am able to remove it and it returns to zero every time.