• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Score This Target Please!

Josh Smith

Mosin Fan
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2009
Wabash IN
smith-sights.com
Hello,

I need this target scored please:

Five shots.

I am not scoring it myself for a couple reasons. First, I'm not sure I can be 100% objective. Second, I fired five rounds, almost certain that I hit with all five rounds, but I cannot find the fifth round.

I <span style="font-style: italic">think</span> it went through the same hole as another, as one looks slightly elongated, but I do not want to make that call. If you see it, please tell me which one it is.

I'm leaving the pic full sized; please click on the thumbnail to view the full sized pic.

The center is 0.5" across the black.

Please let me know what you all think!

Thanks!

Josh

Re: Score This Target Please!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dhutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your bottom hole is from 2 shots. </div></div>

That is what it looks like to me too.

Hate to be picky but maybe 49-1X. While the bottom hole does look like two it might be a judgment call as to whether both cut the line.

49-1x.
elongated hole on bottom goes down also.
Even though a x is an x, nothing is solid.
Tighten up the group, and no discusion needed.
Keep going, and find a place where you shoot one bullet per spot.
.22's are fun.

What was the ammo?

Hello,

The ammo was bulk American Eagle 38gn HP, modified with a tool available from D Rock on rimfirecentral.com .

I have been on a quest to break MOA at 100yds with supersonic bulk ammo. I think it can be achieved, but I don't think I <span style="font-style: italic">quite</span> did it on this target.

Then again, I could very well be at the functional limits of the ammunition.

Thanks,

Josh

Hi Folks,

I want to thank you.

Here is a screen capture of what I'm looking at:

(click the pic)

I have this posted on at least 10 boards, and there is a 50/50 split between opinions as to whether the double is at 6 o'clock or 1 o'clock. I initially thought it was at 1, but I agree now that it was at 6.

I'm also learning new terms. What is a "plug"? What is a "moving backer"?

I'm just a po' ol' squirrel hunter who is trying to make bulk ammo take squirrel at 100yds.

The bullets were reshaped first into a consistent roundnose configuration, then into a flatpoint, using D Rock's tool. This is why the target looks to have been hit with wadcutters.

The idea is to have a killing bullet, but one that is also accurate, and that means that, since for the majority of the way the bullet would be travelling subsonic (after 30yds or so), that it needed a shape better tailored to subsonic speeds. I also figured that getting there soon would be best, and the flat point is sort of a brake most noticable at supersonic speeds.

Also, this is really part of my attempt to get 1MOA with bulk HP.

Looks like I am shooting 1.048MOA or so.

Maybe this stuff just isn't capable of MOA accuracy? I do not know. I do know that this group was relatively easy after firing hundreds upon hundreds sorted by weight - only to have it recommended to me that I try sorting by case head thickness. That seems to have done it. I actually watched that bottom hole appear, and I wondered if I had hit it twice as I could see the white plastic backing through the hole as the woods were getting dark.

There were no other shooters; this is my private range. It maxes out at 110 yards or so, but is only really usable out to 100yds.

Thanks again, and additional comments are most welcome.

Josh

The smallbore guys at my club would get the overhead projector out, blow up the shadow on the wall and measure each hole to see which was out of round. Then look at how far out of round the double was and see if it would cut the line with both shots.

Most non OCD shooters at the club would chuckle at these guys and commence to shoot for the next hour while they measured, argued, and called each other names.

I've seen it happen upon occasion... it's not a joke.

I think your quest is a noble one, and I think you can do it the next time out if you allow sorting that bulk ammo. You might shoot an oddball 0.99 MOA group without sorting them, but I'm pretty sure you can do it quickly by spending about an hour sorting through that bulk pack.

EDIT: If I was scoring a match and this target came in I'd just give the shooter a 50-1x, if someone beat it fine, if nobody got within a point then I wouldn't think twice about it. When one of the above mentioned guys got huffy about it then the overhead projector would come out...

Aguila Super Maximum Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 30 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point Box of 50 stays ss at 100y

Josh,

The bottom hole is two rounds. +1 on mtstcon, Get a .22 scoring gauge. Champions Choice has magnified HERE and non-magnified HERE . They're cheap and it takes the argument out of the equation. They also have overlays but IMHO the gauge is cut and dry.

Good shooting btw.

Dave

(Editted to change score estimate from 50-1) I'd also guess 50-2, true bullet diameter will be larger than the black ring.

Here's another style of scoring device. No plug to enlarge the hole ("non-invasive"), and scores 12 rifle bullet diameters from 22 through 40 calibers. Click thumbnails for larger views.

Is this an "X" or just a "10"?

You'll notice the target "grain" running vertically in that photo, and the hole is actually wider than it is tall due to this.

Outer edge of scribed line is true bullet diameter - it's an "X"....

Cheers,

Bill

Josh,
If you do get this target scored with a gauge/plug, please let us know the score. Really curious now!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HHMMMMM... after looking at this:
http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/SBR/sbr-w14.pdf

i changed my score to 49 1x

i always thought you had to break the line to get the higher score. guess i was shortchanging myself all this time.
blush.gif

</div></div>

Scoring "best edge", you only have to touch the outside of the next higher scoring ring to get that higher score. This time I zoomed in on the target, and assuming the "double" is at 6 O'clock, I'd now score that a 50-1X, as the 10 O'clock hole probably would not contact the X-ring (only the 12 O'clock hole would be an "X"), and (probably) "both" 6 O'clock holes would be "10s". If it was scored "worst edge", it would be a 48-0X....

Cheers,

Bill

I've scored enough round nosed bullets to know that is a 50-2, without a doubt.

Until you get the correct scoring plug and plug a lot of targets you really don't know if "it'll go" or not. You will call them out often. I did for a few years scoring my own smallbore targets, then got educated.

45 ball rounds for Service Pistol are worse.