• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scoring on Brass

pbatesaz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2018
Phoenix, AZ and Cimarron, CO
B10B6BBE-ECF8-47A8-8DBC-9837B09DAF47.jpeg
After firing the first 40 rounds of factory Hornady ammo through a new barreled action I noticed some scoring on the cases. It is present on every case. Soliciting opinions on the significance and where to look for the problem. The rifle shot well, but I want to reload and am uncertain about reusing these cases. Thanks for the help.

Happening during ejection. Next time you shoot, draw the bolt back very slowly, and press the round with your finger to keep it in line with the chamber, the mark wont be there. Could be feeding too, but judging by the scrub on the body, its ejection.

Here is a follow-up: I inked a spent case with a red sharpie and cycled it through the action. With careful observation I was able to locate the source of the scoring as can be seen in the attached photos. This is an Impact Precision 737R. I plan to dress the affected area with some 2000 grit sandpaper. If that gives anyone chest pains please advise.
8882E710-22AF-47A8-AC48-A5D8A348849F.jpeg
CF5AA42B-874D-4C36-B925-20854B7A1130.jpeg

I had this same issue with another manufacturers action. It seems to be somewhat of a common problem. Mine only took a light sanding with some emery cloth to fix.