• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scout Rifles / Practical Rifles

Re: Scout Rifles / Practical Rifles

Yes
Yes
If I shoot it, isn't that training?
Tikka T3 Scout CTR with Bolt Handle and Bolt Shroud (unknown origin purchased used) With an SWFA 5-20x50mm scope.

But what are you really asking? This seems like a pointless thread...

Actually the true Scout Rifle concept
Low magnification extended eye relief optics mounted forward of the ejection port.
I've had a great interest since reading all the articles Jeff Cooper wrote on the subject in Guns &Ammo in the late 70's and early 80's.
In the mid 80's while working at a Local gun shop I purchased a very nice used Remington 700 BDL in .243. A year or so later I put a Brown Precision Fiberglass stock on it. Fiberglass stocks were not widely used at that time.
This rifle has been set up several different ways over the years. Recently it has been in the back of the safe without any optics mounted.

Several months ago I helped a friend site in his new Ruger Gun Site Scout Rifle. That sparked the interest in the scout rifle again.
I pulled the old 700 out of the safe and mounted a Aimpoint Comp ML on a B-Square 700 Scout Mount. I figured I would load up some old components and finish the life of this factory barrel. It has about 750 rds thru according to my loading log book.
I have a Ruger Gun Site Scout Rifle that I will pick up this Saturday at my local gun shop.
Now I'm just waiting for the Leupold 1.5-4 Scout Rifle Scope to arrive.
Until then I'm going to mount a Trijicon Acupoint 1-4 with green triangle on the action and see how it shoots.

They are actually my favorite type of bolt gun. I've done the scout thing and while I like the concept, the forward mounted scope sucks. I like short, practical rifles like this one I built a while back of a post-64 Win 70 stainless classic:
MISC2010002.jpg

It's light, short, has iron back up sights with Warne QD rings(you can also mount an Aimpoint Micro on the front base), and with Ceracoat over stainless it's extremely rust/corrosion resistant. This one will hold 1/2 MOA or better with crappy reloads. The older Mcmillan stock was purchased NIB for $150 and I installed flush cups for the ching-sling and bedded it myself with custom stainless pillars. The sights are NECG with a bulletproof banded front with interchangeable blades and fully adjustable rear.

I've got a Steyr scout in .243 and a Springfield M1A scout rifle. Both fun rifles. I take them out periodically to do snap shooting drills and use one or the other fairly often for hunting.

I'll play, my idea, would like to do another one day and upgrade some parts.

100_0981.jpg

100_0982.jpg

100_0983.jpg

002-1.jpg

2011-11-14215734.jpg

Agree on the fwd mounted scope, nice in theory but low mag variables are a better option, I'm partial to the Triji 1-4's

I had a Savage 10 FCM Scout. Put a nice scope on there and it was quite a fun gun. Had I kept it around I would have bought a better stock for it. The iron sights were fun to mess around with for a bit and then the scope just made it even more fun. Shot about 40 rounds and then traded the gun for a Romanian PSL.

Good looking rifles. I'm thinking of building something like these. I'm thinking about a 18"-20" .338 Federal with back up irons & detachable mags. Something like this:
DSC_3050.jpg

It's a friend's 20" 338 Fed on a Savage action in a B&C stock. This is his joking (I think) description of it. You Louisiana boys will appreciate it.

Natchitoches Parish Deer Gun
Short 20" barrel for easy removal from gun rack and out truck window.
Surefire rail mounted weapon light means no more holding the one eyed dog and the gun. Also means you dont have to put the beer down!
Heavy Duty Duracoat ACU Deep Grey-Green color easily hidden in bushes when approached by Game Warden. Also blends well with Summer foliage. Won't scratch when thrown from truck when said Game Warden is not looking.
Burris Fullfield scope means lots of light gathering from the included light; even when its midnight on a new moon.
338 federal - lots of knock-down, less noise, and no more tracking deer until daylight! Also means less recoil. Less chance you'll spill your beer. (We all know how expensive Natural Light is in these hard times.)
Also approved for use in LaSalle, Winn, Grant, Vernon, Sabine, and DeSoto Parishes.
For more info on your next outlaw rifle, contact Redneck Special Fine Custom Fireams(address and number not given in case the Law finds out.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark5pt56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll play, my idea, would like to do another one day and upgrade some parts.
100_0982.jpg

]</div></div>

Mark

Could you tell me more about the back sight setup

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: km71107</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking about a 18"-20" .338 Federal with back up irons & detachable mags.</div></div>
I want to do something similar as well. I probably wont go with detachable mags. I also want to run a suppressor (shortish).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pduff</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark5pt56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll play, my idea, would like to do another one day and upgrade some parts.
100_0982.jpg

]</div></div>

Mark

Could you tell me more about the back sight setup </div></div>

Sure! It's the Ashley ghost ring rear base set, rings are Leupold QRW and the front is NECG banded w/gold bar. Brake is a Holland Quick discharge. I originally built it for my son, he was 9 at the time. .308, recoils like a .223.

I thought it over at the time and that's what I came up with. Not to toot my horn, I think it's pretty cool and practical, I sent Remington the pics and thought it would be a great offering at a reasonable rate. They could give two shits about it. More than likely the same assclowns that got ass torn with the Magpul wonder gun purchase

I would like to do another version soon if I can stay on track.
Things I would change
SS match grade barrel, standard threading with indexed R&D brake, a Vortex and a muzzle protector. Still have sights fitted, but may do the standard forward rear sight(in front of scope. More than likely two piece base so port clearance is still there. Quick release rings with a 1-4 scope, or maybe 1.?-6. Better stock and if I could find a detachable bottom metal without a railroad tie for a release lever and doesn't sound like a logging truck empty, I would add that(AI mags of course)
Although the soon to be released Eberlestock chassis may be the ticket, but it's going to be high-a shocker for some.

Oh, and whoever makes something like this--no need to be 4000 either or even close to that. That whole gun above with scope was well under 1500. And it's moa with match ammo, stock sps barrel.

Hope that helps!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: secondstoryguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark5pt56: Nice! Great minds think alike! </div></div>

Thanks brother! Yours is solid!

Your iron set up allows for a lower scope if desired, that was a slight hang up on mine. The stock pack works great with the scope, but is a tad much for the irons.

Personally don't really believe in the scout concept. Maybe shooting one will change that, but... I doubt that.

Scouting... I'd take a semi-auto. Boltguns are for snipers and with semi accuracy where it is today, a scout doesn't need one, I think.

Nice looking rifles
I see most prefer the Practical rifle set up with rear mounted scopes.
I have several hunting rifles that really are Practical rifles.
secondstoryguy - really nice set up.
After I get past this purchase I plan on building a Model 70 FW Compact .308 that will be very close to yours when complete.

I have found scout scope set up to be very fast on target.
Especially with a red dot scope set up.
I also shoot a couple of semi auto rifles with forward mounted red dots.
My first one was a older A2 Carry handle AR with a Aimpoint Comp ML in a forward cantelever mount.
Mounted low over the handguard. It will co witness with the A2 sights. I found at short range it was wicked fast on target shooting more heads up over the carry handle just shooting the dot.
I also took a old Chineese SKS put it in a Tapco T6 stock and mounted a red dot scope forward of the ejection port. It's fun to shoot and ammo is still fairly cheap.

got a Steyr Scout 308 and love it. It's quite accurate with it's built in folding bipod and fixed 3x Leup Scout scope. My next Scout concept rifle will be the Wild West Alaskan rifle ... they chop up a Winchester in large caliber and turn it into a scout type rifle. Shot one of those in 44Mag and it was very fun. Great gun to take into bear country.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChielScape</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally don't really believe in the scout concept. Maybe shooting one will change that, but... I doubt that.

Scouting... I'd take a semi-auto. Boltguns are for snipers and with semi accuracy where it is today, a scout doesn't need one, I think. </div></div>
Agree... I'm a Cooper follower and I just don't get his Scout Rifle hang up. Would I use one as a deer gun for heavy brush? Maybe. But a kinda-accurate bolt gun I really have no use for.

Done the scout thing.

Changed to Aimpoints instead of the IER scope.

Changed to 2-7 variables and Tikk t3s.

Seriously interested in the Ruger LH with an aimpoint.

BMT

I knew nothing about Col. Cooper or his concept until recently- bought the Ruger GSR because I didn't want a SA. Not much different from the Remington Model Seven in the .308 Winchester... Short, handy, and powerful.

Just picked up a Remington 788 carbine with an 18 inch barrel in the 7mm08....looking forward to make it Scout like also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gizzmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually the true Scout Rifle concept
Low magnification extended eye relief optics mounted forward of the ejection port.
I've had a great interest since reading all the articles Jeff Cooper wrote on the subject in Guns &Ammo in the late 70's and early 80's.
</div></div>

Is there nothing the Germans didn't do in the 1940's??
wink.gif

Say hello to the Mauser 98k/ZF41 Sharpshooter's rifle!

Not one of their better ideas!

Mauser98kZF41.jpg

<span style="font-size: 8pt">(Pic courtesy of www.milsurps.com)</span>

I have only seen photos of the 98K/ZF41
Never seen one in the flesh
And I know some people with very large military collections

I handled one and shot one at Bisley a couple of months ago.

It's a 98k with a pretty useless x2 (I think...maybe x1.5??) scope half way along the barrel. The scope has a three post German reticle and a very small eyepiece and objective. The scope is offset to the left of the barrel on a small dovetail mount. It takes some practice to get the head position/cheekweld right. Even so, it is really easy to lose the sight picture with a slight move of the head. The guy who owne the rifle said he has a real problem keeping the scope properly focussed and it is a real bitch to set up (could be just his scope need some work?).

I found it very frustrating....and I didn't have anyone shooting back the other way!!

You see a few of them over here.

Actually the scout rifle (according to Cooper) did not have to have a forward mounted eer optic. From a post on the scoutrifle.org web site. Here is the link if you want to read the entire post- http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=971.0

"A general purpose rifle is a conveniently portable, individually operated firearm, capable of striking a single decisive blow, on a live target of up to 200 kilos in weight, at any distance at which the operator can shoot with the precision necessary to place a shot in a vital area of the target." Col. Jeff Cooper " To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth"

Sighting system: Typically a forward and low mounted (ahead of the action opening) long eye relief telescope of between 2x and 3x. Reserve iron sights desirable but not necessary. Iron sights of the ghost ring type, without a scope also qualify, as does a low powered conventional position scope.

I think the rear or conventionally mounted optic is fine on a scout. I personally like the ability to use a forward mounted eer optic that can be detached to allow use of BUIS.
Nick-

I shown this picture before, I think it is a perfect practical rifle has over 1500rds through it, and alot of hard use in rain and snow, it needs irons though. Savage PC with 14.5 inch barrel, IOR 2.5-10 scope, 34 inches overall. This rifle holds 4.5 groups at 600yds so accuracy is better then average( she can drive a rifle very well, has hard dope out to 800yds ). My kid hates the picture she was 2 miles in and sat for 5 hrs in the rain hunting from a tree stand. Rifle is perfect for this work, and makes some much longer and heavier rifles look bad at the range.
IMG00341-20111126-1359.jpg
short308001.jpg

thats awesome, basically same concept i went with for my trunk monkey

100_5652.jpg

Hey, that looks great. What is the barrel length, and is the tube a custom length. I have a lA Savage in 284 with a 20 inch barrel and i have been looking for a stock.

I have a M1A1 Scout, little heavy long on firepower

I have only ran red dots, never tried a EER scope, yet.

I think the concept sounds better then it actually is, that is in practice.

There are some sweet setups that you guys have. Making me want to get a nice scout setup again soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats awesome, basically same concept i went with for my trunk monkey

100_5652.jpg

</div></div>

Big Joe, What profile do you have and less bipod, can you give a weight on that puppy?

Wonder what the weight difference is on the CTR vs the standard one?

Looks nice

Mark

NickW under todays terminology
Scout Rifle - scopes mounted forward
Practical Rifle - scope mounted in the regular position

Pappy Cool picture of your hunting partner

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats awesome, basically same concept i went with for my trunk monkey

100_5652.jpg

</div></div>

Hey Big Joe your PM box is full.

I am very interested in your tube rifle. Mind telling me all the specs on that particular build, weight, length, and who built it?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: km71107</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good looking rifles. I'm thinking of building something like these. I'm thinking about a 18"-20" .338 Federal with back up irons & detachable mags. Something like this:
DSC_3050.jpg

It's a friend's 20" 338 Fed on a Savage action in a B&C stock. This is his joking (I think) description of it. You Louisiana boys will appreciate it.

Natchitoches Parish Deer Gun
Short 20" barrel for easy removal from gun rack and out truck window.
Surefire rail mounted weapon light means no more holding the one eyed dog and the gun. Also means you dont have to put the beer down!
Heavy Duty Duracoat ACU Deep Grey-Green color easily hidden in bushes when approached by Game Warden. Also blends well with Summer foliage. Won't scratch when thrown from truck when said Game Warden is not looking.
Burris Fullfield scope means lots of light gathering from the included light; even when its midnight on a new moon.
338 federal - lots of knock-down, less noise, and no more tracking deer until daylight! Also means less recoil. Less chance you'll spill your beer. (We all know how expensive Natural Light is in these hard times.)
Also approved for use in LaSalle, Winn, Grant, Vernon, Sabine, and DeSoto Parishes.
For more info on your next outlaw rifle, contact Redneck Special Fine Custom Fireams(address and number not given in case the Law finds out.) </div></div>

nice, i laughted :)

i like the concept of a nice, handy, lightweight, do anything rifle to throw in the truck, but i hate the forward mounted scope. an ar10 seems like a better fit for the same concept

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">16" benchmark barrel and 14" tube </div></div>

Savage action, XLR chassis, rifle basix trigger built by force multiplier here on the hide (username).

I think a lowpower scope has all the advatages and more over a Extended Eye Relief scope. (Scout)

If your eye relief is set right its all the same to me

Yes, I have a sporterized 7x57 Mauser model 93 barrel was cut & re crowned to nice 18 inches. Had the peep sights & forward rail mounted for my quick detach 1-4 scout scope. I love the scout setup for big game hunting, but I dont think it would fufill any tactical purpose.

Did this . . . 308 BLR

JudisParty039.jpg

rifle026.jpg

NO I have this 3085 Savage LH that started as the Savage scout.

Rifle1191.jpg

It now has a 20" tube.

Scope is a 3.5-10 with Turrets and TMR reticle.

BMT

i need to get a pic when i get back to my parents my dad has my mohawk 600 in 6mm 18.5inch in his safe because im out of room, love it super light can run through the woods all day and forget its on your shoulder. good luck trying to find sights for it, i have been looking for years