• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

"Scratch and Dent" Hornady Bullets?

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    Found a source for these.
    I've never purchased "seconds" of bullets, but getting a bit desperate these days to put something down the tubes.
    Been looking for 300 grain A-Tips for months, and these are all I can find.
    Does anyone know, what is the criteria under which Hornady releases these- is it strictly cosmetic defects, as in absolutely no effect on bullet flight- or could there be defects in concentricity or actual "dents" that could affect accuracy?

I could give a fuck if there's a smudge somewhere, but if they don't fly absolutely true they're useless...

I treat any blem bullet as questionable. Perhaps fine for practice or local events, but not for a serious or national level competition.

I mean, would you REALLY buy first run bullets if they didn’t fly better than blems, but we’re more expensive?

Reactions: AKMarty and DIBBS
    When Sierra was in California I used to go by and pick up seconds from time to time. Usually it deals with cosmetics but don't know what Hornady uses as their guidelines. Since they are seconds, load and shoot for practice, velocity settings and take whatever they give you.

I’ve shot a pile of them. They kick them out for a number of reasons, cosmetics, bad noses, etc. they also kick out the first 1000 every time they setup I’ve had good luck with them.

Found a source for these.
    I've never purchased "seconds" of bullets, but getting a bit desperate these days to put something down the tubes.
    Been looking for 300 grain A-Tips for months, and these are all I can find.
    Does anyone know, what is the criteria under which Hornady releases these- is it strictly cosmetic defects, as in absolutely no effect on bullet flight- or could there be defects in concentricity or actual "dents" that could affect accuracy?

I could give a fuck if there's a smudge somewhere, but if they don't fly absolutely true they're useless...

Over the years I’ve bought 3 - 1000 round boxes of “blems”. 1 box was Hornady .375 cal., 270 grain. I randomly picked some to mic and to weigh. They appeared to be very consistent! I’ve used some for “fire-forming” and could easily shoot 1” @ 100 yards. Color me impressed! The other bullets (.270 - 130 grains, and .452 - 300 grain JSP) are of unknow manufacturers, but when measured and weighed they appear to be fine! Though, I haven’t tested either for pure accuracy.

In talking with others that have bought “blems”......could find nothing wrong with them!

Summary: Maybe I’ve just been lucky, but I would buy “blems” again! memtb

I've had seconds from the major brands that shot great and I've had seconds that were horrible. You take a chance when you buy seconds.

I’ve bought blems for years. Lots of times it’s for worthless stuff like ballistic tips that are pink instead of red. Or the color of the jacket is slightly off.

As some folks above said I often use them for fireforming or in semi automatics while I keep the prime stuff for the bolt guns.

But don’t run away from blems. They’re perfectly good bullets. Not for your best tier 1 stuff but not every shot is necessarily a make or break competition, hunting or tactical shot.

There’s plenty of need for bullets for plinking, fireforming, or load developing.

Sirhr

Hornady blems are normal cosmetic in nature. I’ve had great luck with them. Normally couldn’t tell them from a first rate bullet. Definitely good for practice,hunting and local comps.

I used to buy a lot of Hornandy blems and they shot great.
    I’m currently loving the 183SMK blems I got and kick myself for not buying more.