• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Scratch on rail

Peter83

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2019
Hi guys. i know this might be a stupid question, and that i might worry about nothing.
I got this scratch on my top rail. I think it came from the last time i installed a scope on it.

I used a torque wrench, so its not from over tightening, but when i installed the scope, the mount suddenly "snapped" in place.
I think the side clamp on the mount maybe was in a slight "off" position, and when i started to torque the screws down, the pressure made it "snap" in place.

The scratch is actually a little deeper than what it looks like on the picture. My question is, if this scratch will make any difference for the mounts ability to be held in place and not move. Im thinking, that maybe the scratch will make the clamp not having 100% surface contact with the rail, and therefore making it less able to stay put and not move? Am im worrying to much?

Peter :)

Attachments

• P1040516.JPG
    P1040516.JPG
    319.4 KB · Views: 82
As long as there is no raised areas and the area is flat then I would not worry about it.

I dont think there is any raised area, but the area is not flat. I can feel there is a small dent when i put a fingernail over it.

No it doesn't-you scratched the surface finish and it is irrelevant so go out and shoot and quit obsessing about stuff that doesn't matter

Reactions: loveha