• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Screw on Remington triggers

7mm-08 Freak

Medic
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2010
San Angelo TX
What happens when you take the little poundage set screw compleatly out to get it down to 2 pounds on the X-mark pro trigger.I cant seem to get mine below 2 pounds.

Re: Screw on Remington triggers

There were plenty discussions on the X-mark pro trigger. But to sum it up, NO, you don't want to screw it completely out, and NO, you don't want to get it down to 2lbs, nor can it be turned down to 2 lbs.

If you are not shooting bench rest matches, you do not need 2lbs, and if you are, you do not want a X-mark pro trigger.

Hope this helps. Just my $0.02, other pros will chime in and offer their takes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Target, I have trigger under 2lb, who is to say they don't need to be that low. </div></div>

I just don't want it to fly apart or something like that with the screw out of it. I like about 2# trigger to hunt with. I guess my question is a mechanical question not a safety question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Target, I have trigger under 2lb, who is to say they don't need to be that low. </div></div>

More power to you
smile.gif

As long as you know what you are doing and make sure you don't have AD. Like I said, its my $0.02 where I think its safe to make such recommendation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WM5L</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Target, I have trigger under 2lb, who is to say they don't need to be that low. </div></div>

I just don't want it to fly apart or something like that with the screw out of it. I like about 2# trigger to hunt with. I guess my question is a mechanical question not a safety question. </div></div>

Don't quote me on this, but one of the member once mentioned that his x-mark pro trigger will lock if the screw was backed out too much, and I believe Randy at R&D said the same thing, its a safty feature from Remington.

If the question was direct to mechanical capability, this is the best I can help out. Good luck!

That trigger is not safe.

With the adjustment screw all the way out there is no spring tension on the trigger, meaning the only thing holding it before it breaks is sear engagement with the trigger and cocking piece of the bolt. In this configuration it is possible while holding the rifle muzzle down while cocking the rifle the trigger won't reset.

Unload the weapon and dry fire it. Now pull the trigger to the rear, with no spring tension in the adjustment screw the trigger will just flop forward and backwards.

If the X-Mark trigger is not adjusted correctly after moving all three screws you can lock up the trigger, meaning if not done correctly the safety can't be engaged making the trigger useless

There is a reason why they put sealant on the over travel and sear screws.

The X-Mark trigger functions fine with the tension screw removed. The tension spring is deep in the recesses on each end and is in no danger of falling out. You can't get the spring out without dissassembling the trigger. It is designed to not be adjusted below about 2.25 pounds due to the length and tension of the tension spring even with the screw removed. If you want it lighter just get a different trigger. All my hunting rifles are set to 15 ounces. The 2# trigger on my 700P is distractingly heavy.

I think we are talking apples and oranges. The screw I am reffering to is the one on the top of the trigger. your finger will touch it when you shoot if you back it out far enough. You don't have to take the gun apart or anything to get to it. I am not talking about taking the gun apart and scraping off the glue on the square trigger box just the little allen screw under the gun just behind the bolt release on a brand new rem 700 thay call it an X-Mark PRO trigger.

I just saw that this is an X-Mark Pro. Yes the trigger adjustment is in the trigger shoe. Removing it may or may not cause an issue with two light of a trigger. With the screw removed the spring won't come out.

Do not try and remove the screw on a standard X-Mark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just saw that this is an X-Mark Pro. Yes the trigger adjustment is in the trigger shoe. Removing it may or may not cause an issue with two light of a trigger. With the screw removed the spring won't come out.

Do not try and remove the screw on a standard X-Mark.
</div></div>

Cool because all that stuff you said might happen didnt happen. I figured we were talking about two different triggers. I am gonna go shoot tomorrow and see how it feels.

Got it down to 28oz now and gonna leave it at that. Very crisp. Can't get it to go off banging it on the floor or slamming the bolt shut. Will see what happens at the range soon.....

I am curious why folks build rifles intended for hunting or other "rugged use" purposes with triggers that trip at the weight of half a sneeze.

Maybe I have had too many bad experiences with range doofuses (Doofii?) who show up to shoot ninja benchrest rifles but havent honed the human interface unit to compensate.

I really am curious, my understanding has always been that with proper positioning and trigger time, you really don't want to get below 2.5 to 3lbs and with the right trigger control you can achieve the same results as someone with a platform that has a lighter pull. I'll readily admit that there are many many folks here with greater experience than I. Is there REALLY that much of a gain by going with a trigger weight at 1 to 1.5#? Is it really worth any perceived safety compromise?

Also, what additional safety precautions, if any, are you taking with a trigger set that light?

I believe that most folks wanting too light a trigger are both emulating the benchrest crowd (with their higher expectations of accuracy, yet completely different form) and are also not experienced with good quality trigger pulls that feel lighter than they actually are.

A properly set up trigger (no creep or excess over-travel) will feel much better/lighter than the same weight trigger that grinds it's way to the release point and then slams past it.

I personally don't see any advantage to a trigger of less than 3 to 3-1/2# on a field rifle. Less trigger actually hampers the ability to precisely control the field rifle in the many positions required, whereas in BR, the rifle sits on a rest and rear bag and is not held by the shooter and less trigger prevents disturbance.

My (dormant) benchrest rifles use a very light (<1#) trigger, but my field rifles are all around 3-1/4#.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am curious why folks build rifles intended for hunting or other "rugged use" purposes with triggers that trip at the weight of half a sneeze.

Maybe I have had too many bad experiences with range doofuses (Doofii?) who show up to shoot ninja benchrest rifles but havent honed the human interface unit to compensate.

I really am curious, my understanding has always been that with proper positioning and trigger time, you really don't want to get below 2.5 to 3lbs and with the right trigger control you can achieve the same results as someone with a platform that has a lighter pull. I'll readily admit that there are many many folks here with greater experience than I. Is there REALLY that much of a gain by going with a trigger weight at 1 to 1.5#? Is it really worth any perceived safety compromise?

Also, what additional safety precautions, if any, are you taking with a trigger set that light? </div></div>

You like them heavy. I like them light. I am not going to tell you how to set up your gun. Don't tell me how to set up mine. When I point a firearm at something, I am willing to destroy it.

I set mine up for 15-16 ounces. I just shoot best that way and have ultimate control. Varmint hunting sometimes two or more targets present at the same time but will never stick around for two or more shots so we practice simultanios fire. We were doing this long before the Seals shot those pirates. The way we do it is one guy is the lead. Everyone else takes up some pressure on their triggers and when the lead shoots, our guns go off on the flinch. It's very impressive and usually has us each asking the other if they even shot because you can't tell. It sounds like one single shot and we usually get what we were shooting at. This would be very hard to pull off with a 2 pound trigger. As far as rugged use there is no question of safety. First order of business we never travel with one in the chamber and only a fool would rely on a safety to excuse proper gun handling. You never point your gun at anything you don't want destroyed. I personally have no use for a manual safety on any gun as I don't use them and as an instructor I will not teach anyone to rely on one.

If I were to set a rifle up for frezing weather where I had to shoot with gloves on or a more intense run and gun offhand shooting style it would have a 3-4 pound trigger.