• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Scuba Divers

G

It would appear that there are quite a few divers here. Where are your favorite dive locations. Best dive & worst dive. Pics if you gottem.

Prickley Pear Cays north of Anguilla in the Caribbean.
Berry Islands north of Nassau

Philippines both accounts. Pics are long gone. Emergency ascend from the 3rd atmosphere almost popped my internal bouncy compensator's. :(

Reactions: diverdon
I gave it up when it started interfering with my party schedule. I specifically recall the day I made that decision:

sitting on on the beach drinking buckets of Singha in Thailand watching topless Euro backpackers frolick
PADI guy approaches me from the resort and tries to sell on me on a trip, we chat a bit and I look at pictures of the sites
PADI guy says we meet at 0600 for the ride to the boat, etc
I start laughing uncontollably and explain that I will still be midway through my "long time" with a hooker from the beer bar at 0600, but if he has an afternoon trip that gets back in time for happy hour, to let me know

I used to me crazy about it, and would dive anywhere in any conditions, but my priorities as I've gotten older have changed.

Why the assent?? Equipment malfunction??

Diaphram in regulator was screwing up. Banged on my tank to get my friends attention and took off for the top. Nuther lesson learned. Should have remained calm and swam to them instead of up so I could buddy breath with them faster. Scared the shit outta me when the big burp came. Anyone that's been there knows it's like pulling a bottom fish up with it's air bladder hanging out it's mouth. Chest hurt for awhile after that.

I gave it up when it started interfering with my party schedule. I specifically recall the day I made that decision:

sitting on on the beach drinking buckets of Singha in Thailand watching topless Euro backpackers frolick
PADI guy approaches me from the resort and tries to sell on me on a trip, we chat a bit and I look at pictures of the sites
PADI guy says we meet at 0600 for the ride to the boat, etc
I start laughing uncontollably and explain that I will still be midway through my "long time" with a hooker from the beer bar at 0600, but if he has an afternoon trip that gets back in time for happy hour, to let me know

I used to me crazy about it, and would dive anywhere in any conditions, but my priorities as I've gotten older have changed.

lmao been there done that !!! Use to just go to 10 ft or so in the morning to sit on the bottom and sober up. Never a good idea.

diverdon I know he does. Well, diving... in lakes, oceans and such.

It would be interesting to go muff diving with the regulator in your mouth though.

Oh damn... I don't want any turns on the brown eye now...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1J04
For Me

Caymans
Bahamas
Many times at Penny Camp
Coszumel

Green island off the coast of Taiwan. The vibrancy of the colors of the corals was unbelievable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For Me

Caymans
Bahamas
Many times at Penny Camp
Coszumel

There is a lot to see in those places. I used to love the drifts in Cozumel, and the patch reefs at Pennekamp. The walls in Little Cayman and Cayman Brac were really great. The WWII wrecks at Truk Lagoon are worth doing once. Today I do about 90% of my diving in the Philippines. They have a diversity of life on their shallow reefs that is perhaps 40 times as great as in the Caribbean. It is a long trip but once I get their its cheaper to live and dive there. I'll be in Sabang, Oriental Mindoro most of this July and August. If any one wants to check out the Philippines Scuba during that time frame I would be glad to show them the ropes.

For those who don't like to start at 0600, the shop I dive with has their first dive of the day at 0900, but the boat returns to the shop so if you are too hung over to make is at 0900 it's cool to do your first dive at 1100 or 1300.

Last edited:
There is a lot to see in those places. I used to love the drifts in Cozumel, and the patch reefs at Pennekamp. The walls in Little Cayman and Cayman Brac were really great. The WWII wrecks at Truk Lagoon are worth doing once. Today I do about 90% of my diving in the Philippines. They have a diversity of life on their shallow reefs that is perhaps 40 times as great as in the Caribbean. It is a long trip but once I get their its cheaper to live and dive there. I'll be in Sabang, Oriental Mindoro most of this July and August. If any one wants to check out the Philippines Scuba during that time frame I would be glad to show them the ropes.

For those who don't like to start at 0600, the shop I dive with has their first dive of the day at 0900, but the boat returns to the shop so if you are too hung over to make is at 0900 it's cool to do your first dive at 1100 or 1300.

Been going there since 1981. Lived there from 93-96. The Sgt Major of the PNP was a Master Diver, my friend and instructor,, and just one helluva a guy. Use to hang out at Camp Bagong Diwa in Bicutan near my house and electronics factory. We use to do training at the pool there. Free diving for 3 yrs and travelling all over diving was terrible. ;) My wife is from Nasagbu Batangas so still have all the connections over there. The PI will spoil you will it not?

Reactions: diverdon
Been going there since 1981. Lived there from 93-96. The Sgt Major of the PNP was a Master Diver, my friend and instructor,, and just one helluva a guy. Use to hang out at Camp Bagong Diwa in Bicutan near my house and electronics factory. We use to do training at the pool there. Free diving for 3 yrs and travelling all over diving was terrible. ;) My wife is from Nasagbu Batangas so still have all the connections over there. The PI will spoil you will it not?

The PI has indeed spoiled me. Some of the cheapest diving in the Caribbean is in Couzmel, a good diveshop there Aldora Divers charges $USD 95 for a two tank dive. South Sea Divers charges me PHP 900 per dive. At todays exchange rete that is under USD $18 per dive. Now that rate is only available to divers who have all their own equipment and have been diving 100 dives or more per year for many years with them, but the rate for a certified diver doing only one dive and owning no geat is PHP 1,400 at todays exchange rate thats about $28.

The most important thing is not the price but seeing new and interesting things, and it is a good location for marine diversity.

Most of my diving has been in the Caribbean. My favorite spots are actually freshwater in the Smoky Mountains National Park and Lake Kiowa in South Carolina. The stuff you find in lakes was half the allure to see what you would find. Not many swimmers or divers to contend with when the water is 55F

Best place on earth is Fiji - specifically Taveuni Fiji. It has it all - brilliant soft corals, abundance of hard coral, colorful fish.

Cozumel, Costa Rica, and a couple of wreck dives off the coast of Virginia. Never did get to the German Subs down there then all my gear got stolen and I let it go by default.

Best Dive

Before wife and I were married we took a vacation to Puerta Vallarta. 17 or so years ago.
Dove some atoll about an hour out by launch on a dive charter.

A few minutes into dive I yanked some dumb ass away from inspecting a stone fish.
During dive about a 12ft Manta started circling around above us letting the bubbles rise under his/hers belly.
8-12ft above, graceful, flying through the water.

Came up to the surface through a bunch of little jellies you couldn't even see.

While we were bobbing up and down waiting to get picked up I looked down and noticed no fish.
Where did they go? Saw a large bull shark (or at least a big shark).
Boat showed up and I threw myself and dive buddy in.

Funniest Dive

25+ years ago. Girlfriend I was with at the time was working on her Divemaster Cert.
During the dive somebody clipped about a 36 inch baited line to her BCD.
Her BCD caught a 16 inch bass.
Bass was quite excited and I cut the line.

Worst Dive

Years ago I was involved in some recovery work.
Throwing up your asshole while trying to figure out how to breath.
I do not recommend.

Fitz.

My absolute favorite is wreck diving near the Tortugas. Favorites are the Rhein and Araby Maid.

The wall off of Akumal is incredible for big fish. The caves in that area are also beautiful dives.

For easily accessible stuff, The reef off of Boynton Beach and the Florida springs are the ticket.

Bonaire is great for being able to dive any way you want at any time of the day or night. We especially like getting in before first light and watching the reef wake up.

The Cooper River in SC is a very different kind of diving that is a blast.

I can go on forever - spearfishing off of SC and NC, the wrecks off of Hatteras, wreck hunting off of SC, it's all good.

Shark Dive Bahamas
markkayaksharks002jpg450.jpg

Did about a thousand dives while working for the Navy in the mid 80s. Mostly in Coronado, some in Hawaii, a couple in the Persian Gulf, and a few other places. Once I got out I was done with it. After 20 years my old navy buddy talked me into going back and getting a recertification, and man have things changed. It is not "work" anymore. Drift dives at Cozumel are spectacular. Just beautiful. Will be going out in two weeks off the NC coast to look for some megalodon teeth. Going with the knuckle head who talked me back into this stuff. Great times with great friends.

502, I know the place. A good friend got "stupid tooth fever" there and paid with her life.

If you're close to there, the City of Houston wreck was one of my favorites years ago. There wasn't anything valuable, but there was plenty of interesting junk to be brought up. Lots of good times in that area.

Che, we haven't been on the Houston. Will have to check it out. The Gill is out in that area. It is ok, a good dive, but nothing to go crazy over. Dove the Hyde a couple years ago and it was super cool. If you like diving with big sand tigers, it is a good spot.

502, I've done the Gill and it is OK. I've not done the Hyde.

The City of Houston is a digger's wreck. It's a little SW of Frying Pan Tower. Finding a ride to it was difficult 15-20 years ago; I don't know about now. I always had to recruit enough people to charter a boat to get there or go on a private boat. It's really pretty out there, but my ex GF didn't like going with us because we'd blow the vis with digging. The guy who ran the Maritime Museum in Southport with his wife ran 6 pack trips to it, but I never quite "connected" with him.

Well Im no worldly diver like some of you. Best place I have been was the Flower Gardens on the Galveston Coast during what was apparently Hammerhead migration time. That was pretty neat.

Worst was diving hungover in Vortex Springs FL after a LONG night of shenanigans.

Truk lagoon. One helluva dive! All of the Japanese materials destroyed by the Army Air Force in WW2. It was doubly sweet in the fact that my Dad was riding the tail gunner position on a B-24 Liberator when the US was bombing the island.

Been diving since 1969. PADI instructor.

Those stupid eels at Vortex have been over fed by divers and are getting a bit uppity! Damned aggressive! Need some Japanese divers in the spring to make some sushi.

North West region of Philippines around Bolinao. Shallow dives, lots of bottom time and visually stunning. The Caymans were always great dives too. Haven't been more than 10 feet deep in about 15 years. Now that I think about it I should just sell all my equipment. BC, regulator and computer only had about 10 dives on them. None of my current friends, nor wife, dive.

I have been certified since I was 19 years old, but I prefer free diving. Just love spearing fish, and greatly appreciate the athletic workout that comes with freediving. Have dove a lot in the Sea of Cortez, Baha California. Cozumel is great, but you cannot spear there. Panama diving is great also, but that is a long ways away.

Bonaire,been there a lot.I can't dive no more because of health reasons and I miss It.Turks and cacaos,cayman brac and little cayman were also very nice.