• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SD on prefit barrels from various companies.

Prebanpaul

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Akron Ohio Summit
So I know with this question, there will be a lot of variables. Factory ammo vs reloading and when reloading, consistency with the reloader.

But so many people post what there groups are at 100. I am starting to tell, there is a big difference between, 100 yard group and what the gun is doing at 600-1000.

So with the prefit barrels out there, I am wondering what the SD and ES your getting out of the prefit barrels. I am talking straight jacket, PVA, Keystone, and so on.

If you can please do me a favor and list:
1. blank maker
2. Gun smith
3. sd
4. es
5. Factory ammo or reloading.

Thanks for providing the information.

Bartlein
Spartan Precision
8? I think
Handloaded

IMO the blank and Smith have a lot less input on SD/ES than you do at your bench. The quality of the blank and chambering job will have a huge effect on the precision of the barrel.

Proof
Straight Jacket
Factory ammo 308
IMG_20200622_191653.jpg

Proof
Straight Jacket
Copper Creek 6GT
IMG_20200622_200707.jpg

The variations of velocity from barrels is probably overcome by the larger variations of velocity from loading...

Whatever information you get will be poluted by the ability of the hand loader.

Lots of Shilen’s, one brux and one savage.
Never had an issue getting legit single digits SD and often single digit or very close ES.
Loading bench practices have a bigger effect than the barrel in my opinion.

I load in the 4-6 sd range. So let’s say I am some what compent reloaded. I am just making sure that people chambers are being done properly and if there is a variation

Reactions: hereinaz
I load in the 4-6 sd range. So let’s say I am some what compent reloaded. I am just making sure that people chambers are being done properly and if there is a variation

I absolutely get what you are looking for, and I am curious about the outcome.

For my purposes, I haven't pushed below 10-14 SD reloading. I clearly need to step up my reloading game. I have had Criterion, Shillen, Proof, and X-caliber, and with the same reloading practices I never saw any variation in the SD or ES that I attributed to a barrel. I could always get it into that range. There were some trips that I got into the single digits with 5 rounds, but they were the exception, so I ruled them out. For precision, my Proof prefits have always shot better than the others, both steel and carbon fiber. I think that is because they are better quality and cut barreled.

Reactions: deersniper