• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Searching for a 308 for training

Highplainsdakota

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2011
Bismarck ND
Looking for opinions folks…

I’m looking for a 308 bolt gun to help train myself on rifle fundamentals and wind calls. I have some custom rifles but I want to shoot more often with a rifle that is more affected by the wind.

I don’t mind buying a quality rifle system, but would I be better off with a simple rifle? Take a chance with a used 308 off the shelf? Is this my opportunity to talk myself into an AXMC? Should I go with a tikka t3x tac A1 (I have one in 6.5 and it shoots great). Would I be better off looking for someone who is tired of their custom rifle and rebarrel it to 308?

Any input on bullet weight or factory ammo for this purpose? I don’t want to reload for this. I’d rather buy in bulk and hit the range.

Looking for opinions folks…

I’m looking for a 308 bolt gun to help train myself on rifle fundamentals and wind calls. I have some custom rifles but I want to shoot more often with a rifle that is more affected by the wind.

I don’t mind buying a quality rifle system, but would I be better off with a simple rifle? Take a chance with a used 308 off the shelf? Is this my opportunity to talk myself into an AXMC? Should I go with a tikka t3x tac A1 (I have one in 6.5 and it shoots great). Would I be better off looking for someone who is tired of their custom rifle and rebarrel it to 308?

Any input on bullet weight or factory ammo for this purpose? I don’t want to reload for this. I’d rather buy in bulk and hit the range.
Sounds like you are really looking for a decent Rimfire rifle with expensive ammo. Most centerfire folks looking for that go 6.5 CM and ignore the gay jokes.

Reactions: Bender and BCP
I have a vudoo 22, and I’ve listened to Frank’s podcast on comparing it to larger calibers but it just doesn’t seem the same. The wind to 150 with a 22 may blow it over quite a bit but doesn’t teach me about reading farther down range, wind 30 ft off the ground, etc.

I have a tikka 6.5 CM already, I guess I thought I might learn faster with something slower and heavier that still recoils.

You can get FGMM 308 for under $30 a box online. Cheapest I can find 6.5 is $40.

Tac Ops delta 51 308 20"
Done.

Reactions: kthomas
ATX/AT/AX will serve you better than a MC if set on AI.
The quick lock makes it painless to switch barrels when inevitably you start adding them.

Blanks will be cheaper and easier to find and they are better positional guns.

You can also skip the 308 get a 6cm AI barrel which there is plenty of factory ammo available for and with a 18-20 will make you work on wind too

Sounds like you are really looking for a decent Rimfire rifle with expensive ammo. Most centerfire folks looking for that go 6.5 CM and ignore the gay jokes.
Rimfire doesn't exploit your fundamentals like a .308 does.

.308 is a greater trainer, more than enough recoil to exploit any flaws you have.

Reactions: ma smith
Lots of different routes you can go. It's all personal preference and based off of your objectives.

Since you left the door wide open, I'll also suggest a TacOps. Get a dream .308.

Thanks for the replies! I remember the website from years ago. Don’t know much about them but from some light searches they look like a serious rig.

Rimfire doesn't exploit your fundamentals like a .308 does.

.308 is a greater trainer, more than enough recoil to exploit any flaws you have.
The only problems with centerfire are the larger ammo costs and the need for a lot longer ranges to face the same wind challenges. Often shooters many not be honest with themselves about how often and how many rounds they will practice with. It is difficult to become unconsciously competent without a lot of repetition.

The only problems with centerfire are the larger ammo costs and the need for a lot longer ranges to face the same wind challenges. Often shooters many not be honest with themselves about how often and how many rounds they will practice with. It is difficult to become unconsciously competent without a lot of repetition.

There's always trade-offs.

Rimfires and .308's have their respective pros and cons.

My favorite rifle to shoot: M24R. Yeah, it's a 7.62x51. I flat out love that slow and heavy push you get without it being punishing. It is like shooting the .45, 1911 of the bolt action world.

.308 if you want the less expensive factory ammo option too.

I'm also a fan of .223 trainers.

Last edited:
I shoot everything from 22LR to 375CT and soon 460 Steyr. My .308 is still my I just want to go out in the desert and shoot rife. It's an AI-AE with a 26in 1-10 twist MTU barrel shooting 178 ELD-M. I shoots under 1/2 MOA and in a 1000 yard match last October I shot 93 3x came in 4 of 14 with 1 flyer in the 8 ring. I have also shot it out to passed 1300 yard with good results.
In the end they are just a solid rifle and round.
Here is a group I shot today at the range. Scope is zeroed for 178 ELD-M but today I waa shooting 175 SMK'S
5 rounds 100 yards.

IMG_1446.jpg

Last edited:
You are misleading yourself.... It's mot the rifle, it's the wind.
Go down to the pawn shop and pick up something cheap in .308.
Why a bolt gun ? A cheap AR 10 will throw .308. So will a break open. A H&R Handi-Rifle 308 Winchester Single-Shot Rifle for $219 will do it. No need for rapid fire.
If you are a fair weather shooter who is out in the desert with 70 degrees, clear skies and a slight breeze then why even try ?
Get out in some high elevation canyon's with 50 mph gust and start out shooting at 100 yards from a 30 degree angle.
But again, Not my Circus ... Not my Monkeys.

Reactions: stanley_white
Here's my new 308 fun-damentals rifle
IMG_0425 copy.png

I won't get to shoot it for another 3 weeks, but it's all ready to go.

ATX/AT/AX will serve you better than a MC if set on AI.
The quick lock makes it painless to switch barrels when inevitably you start adding them.

Blanks will be cheaper and easier to find and they are better positional guns.

You can also skip the 308 get a 6cm AI barrel which there is plenty of factory ammo available for and with a 18-20 will make you work on wind too
The AI may be a great option for me, and it’s been on my list for a while. Just realized the MC is the long action and comes as a 338.

On the AI website they don’t even list the ATX, even though Mike High Shooting is selling them. What’s up with that?

Does anyone recommend staying with the AX over the newer ATX for any reason?