• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

seater marks,

skinnypitt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2008
Houston, Tx
I just began to reload my new .260 and when i load the bullet (redding micrometer seater for 140VLD) I have a little stick after oading when i raise the arm and it leaves a ring around the ogive of the bullet. Any ideas?

Re: seater marks,

Assuming the die is clean/undamaged, you aren't seating with excessive force are you? Too much speed (unlikely)? Or you have too much neck tension. The sizing dies that accept different size bushings allow you to adjust the neck tension, might do the trick.

DSC00581.jpg

DSC00585.jpg

I assume it looks something like the above photos! I have found that it's typically the combo of high neck tension and a soft bullet jacket.

Terry

I put some solvent on a q-tip and ran it up inside the die for cleaning but if it is more difficult than that to clean I may not have completed the job. I am using 7/08 brass necked down with the .289 bushing and the bullets seem to seat very smooth it is just the draw back that seems to stick to the bullet. It actually looks just like the bottom ones Terry. It is less a dent ad more a mark. I cant even feel it with the tip of my finger but if I rub with my nail there is a slight catch. I am using 4831sc so there is a slight compression on my loads (45.5gr) so far but I plan on going up so.....

Thanks,

It will go away. My redding comp die did the same thing for the first 100 rounds, then it went away.

what you can do is remove the seating stem, wrap a small strip of 600 wet/dry sandpaper on the tip of the bullet and twist it on the stem polishing the contact surface, that will get ride of it faster. Or just leave it alone and it will iron out on its own.

I have a product that gets rid of Ring Around the O-Give. $49.99 a bottle. Call in the next 5 minutes for free shipping.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a product that gets rid of Ring Around the O-Give. $49.99 a bottle. Call in the next 5 minutes for free shipping.</div></div>
Capn - I'm not ordering unless a free set of Ginsu knives are also included.

I've noticed that my RCBS dies will do the exact same thing in .223 and .308 with 75-77gr and 178gr bullets, whereas the Lee dies I have do not...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a product that gets rid of Ring Around the O-Give. $49.99 a bottle. Call in the next 5 minutes for free shipping. </div></div>

BUT WAIT!!!! Do I get two for 49.99 if I call now?

As far as the ogive marks go I had the same problem with my RCBS dies. It has gone away after a couple hundred loads. As mentioned earlier I'm sure you can take the sharp edge off with some emery paper.

+1 for disassembly and emery cloth

on all new dies (non-competition) i take apart the decapping die and smooth out the expander ball with emery cloth as well as the seating plug in the seating die.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: baschu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a product that gets rid of Ring Around the O-Give. $49.99 a bottle. Call in the next 5 minutes for free shipping. </div></div>

BUT WAIT!!!! Do I get two for 49.99 if I call now?

As far as the ogive marks go I had the same problem with my RCBS dies. It has gone away after a couple hundred loads. As mentioned earlier I'm sure you can take the sharp edge off with some emery paper.
</div></div>

I said 5 minutes, not 5 Mils!

"it leaves a ring around the ogive of the bullet."

Two things can cause that.

One, if the ring is sharp and shallow the mouth of the seater stem is too abrupt (sharp corner) and that can be rounded and smoothed as descriped above.

Two, if the bullet depression ring is curved and sorta deep as shown in Mr. Suasponte's photos, the neck expander is too small so the force needed to seat the bullets deforms them; the cure is a proper diameter expander. There is no benefit at all for neck "tension" to use an expander smaller than 2 thou, at the most, under bullet diameter.