• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

seating rim on bullet

PowderMeasure

JL
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2012
Middle TN
getting a seating rim aroung bullet using my 550B with Dillon Dies. seating 308 168 BTHP. sometimes it happens and some not. wondering if I am going to start having to prepare the mouth of the casing now to allow the bullet to go in easier as to not put much pressure on pullet to seat. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Re: seating rim on bullet

Sounds like inconsistent neck tension. Have you annealed the necks? Chamfered as above? Cleaned the insides of the necks? Polished them up with a bore brush and 0000 steel wool? Tried a little dry graphite lube inside the necks? How much (in thousandths) are you sizing under bullet diameter?

I believe I am going to go ahead and purchase a Thumlers Tumbler to clean properly. I am also going to get a Chamfering tool. I know how to use these items, I just have not done so. I do not know how to do the annealing process. In response to this question: How much (in thousandths) are you sizing under bullet diameter? I am allowing my die to do this on my Dillon die set in the resizing die. Any more information on how to do the annealing and sizing bullet diameter would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time. I live in Nolensville, TN and I wish I knew someone in the area that could mentor me.

That is often caused by the bullet not being perfectly lined up when seating.

I can often be eliminated by using a competition seating die.

There is a group of folks around Nashville that shoot UBR benchrest at the Gallatin Gun Club the first Saturday every month. Two things that shooting benchrest will teach you are how to clean a gun and how to handload ammunition. They are always glad to have visitors, check them out. Good folks.

going to get Chamfering tool, and a trimmer tomorrow. Believe the SS media tumbling is awesome. However, I have read/heard that is does not add to the accuracy. Love shiney brass, but do not know/believe a thumlers tumbler is worth the added expense. Anyone care to add their thoughts on this? I did find that the heavier brass is the ones that make the the rim on bullet. guess the neck is tighter due to thick neck.

To all who responded etc. the problem was the seating cone. This die was from Dillon and they gladly sent me a new one and a neck expander in hope to solve the issue and it did.

I had a neck expander that was .01 - .02 less than needed to expand the neck properly and a seating cone that had a "shoulder" at the rim.