• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

second range day with my 700P

steelcore

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2010
South San Francisco, CA
Spent 2.5 hours at the 100yd lane working on consistency. Found out that sight alingment DOES exist with a scope when I tried a different cheek weld, as one group was tight but 2" lower. This was my tightest 3 shot group nearest to bullseye. Havent been past 50 yards since 2001. My first range day was too embarassing to post

2010-10-02183103.jpg

Re: second range day with my 700P

Nice shooting... But a friendly word of advice... Check out the group picture Rules thread.... Your picture/post is going to be deleted/locked...

Nice to see you're starting to extend your range. Like the previous poster you might want to read the stickies before you post.

Well for first timers I have no problem with it you know now what the Forums "standards" are so now you can post ones like that. It helps keep people from coming on and saying they shot a .2 group once and the rest of them are 1 moa or larger. Keeps the consistency and people honest.

I believe that the shift in impact is due to parallax. Does your scope have a parallax (focus) adjustment? You can test the parallax by keeping your rifle/scope fixed (resting) and move your eye around in your scope. If you notice the cross-hair "moving" on your target, you have not properly adjusted your parallax. When you see that, you can easily understand how a different cheek weld will yield different POI.

[don't hurt me... I'm a noob here!]

I will definitely adjust parallax to get rid of the floating reticle on the next range day. All I thought parallax was used for is to focus the reticle but now I know more. Thanks!