• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Second SPS package rifle complete from S.A.C..Pics

Mgordon

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2007
Wellington, Ohio
www.shortactioncustoms.com
Shooters, I just completed my second SPS package on another customers rifle and wanted to share my findings.

It started off as a SPS Tactical in .223 with a 20" barrel, customer supplied a Bell and Carlson stock. The stock was checked over and was found to be not inducing any stress on the action, so it was not skim bedded.

After cleaning the bore, I ran the borescope in the barrel and the throat was not concentric with the bore. No surprises with the factory bore....

The bolt was then checked for contact, and as usual the top lug had very little to no contact.

After the disassemble of the rifle, the recoil lug was replaced with a surface ground 700 lug, the action was indicated in and blueprinted with the exception of the action threads (factory barrel was to be re-installed). The bolt was then indicated in and blueprinted as well.

Next the measurements were taken and the game plan was formulated. The barrel was indicated off the bore in the headstock, the action threads, counter bore and chamber were close to .010" off. This presented a problem because since the action threads were not to be trued and opened, the barrel was going to index off of the threads, so the bore was going to be off center of the centerline of the action.

I ended up just cutting the barrel back a little more than usual and started as fresh as I could. The threads, shoulder, counter bore and chamber were now just about perfect.

Next the rifle was assembled, lugs were lapped in and checked for full contact.

After the rifle was completed, I mounted a slave scope, base and rings for test firing. I could only fire a few rounds tonight because it was getting late and the noise is really bad when shooting at this time. So I ran 2 fouling shots and shot one 3 Shot group at 300 yards.

The group measured .802 front center to center at 300 yards. I used some left over ammo that was loaded up for a different rifle. Not too bad.

I know I only shot 3 rounds down the tube, but it was just a simple test fire with generic ammo and I wanted to share some pictures and info. It did pretty well, Just slightly over 1/4 MOA with the 3 shots.

Services performed on this rifle were...

Action/Bolt Blueprinting
Tactical Bolt Knob conversion
Muzzle threading/Crowning
Custom thread protector
Barrel setback, rethreading/chambering/throating
Surface ground recoil lug installed
Trigger tuned to 2.25 lbs.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Mark

IMG_0327Large.jpg

New threads were cut and the remains of the old ones were cleaned up as best as possible.

IMG_0317Large.jpg

IMG_0318Large.jpg

IMG_0321Large.jpg

IMG_0328Large.jpg

IMG_0328Large.jpg

IMG_0337Large.jpg

IMG_0346Large.jpg

IMG_0349Large.jpg

Re: Second SPS package rifle complete from S.A.C..Pics

looks good. how much does that run? you said it was an sps, what kind of groups was it shooting before? and from what ive heard of remingtons "loose' machining practices would this service be any good for a ltr i have?

Thanks mark for doing a great job on my stick can't wait to get it back thanks bro good work and it was shooting just about 1 moa before work was performed Ill be mounting my vortex viper when it gets back should be a great set up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast freddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks good. how much does that run? you said it was an sps, what kind of groups was it shooting before? and from what ive heard of remingtons "loose' machining practices would this service be any good for a ltr i have? </div></div>

I'm doing a limited run of the package above for $525.

Mark

man i totally love the thread protector you make. target crown intact, supressor ready. very nice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">man i totally love the thread protector you make. target crown intact, supressor ready. very nice </div></div>

Thanks,

I have been playing around with a few different designs but I think this design is what I'm going to start using more.

Mark