• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Secondary Optics On A Bolt Action Rifle?

AussieShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2005
Australia
Does anyone use a secondary optic for the bolt action rifle and if so how effective is the utilisation?

I am considering putting a Docter Sight III on a SPUHR mount (45°) that's holding a 5-25x56 S&B PM II.

I wanted to use it on smallish targets between 50 -100 metres with a .308.

I'd like to hear from people that have tried a similar setup and what sort of success / failure they have experienced.

Your interest sparked my interest. I'm thinking Trijicon RMR with dual illumination or the Aimpoint Micro.

It certainly works, I've got that setup on two different rifles. One of the best features is being able to look out at long range to an area, put the dot on it and then get on the glass and a small target quickly.

It certainly works, I've got that setup on two different rifles. One of the best features is being able to look out at long range to an area, put the dot on it and then get on the glass and a small target quickly.

I'm going to do this soon, do you zero farther out with the dot or up close?

I run an RMR - zeroed at 500 yards - at 12:00 over the main scope, and then targets between 3-700 yards or so are all in the RMR's window, close to the dot. If your main scope has the targeting elevation dialed, it will be a close enough co-witness with the dot.

Cory may have a different idea, which would of course be welcome.

The OP was asking about mounting the dot at 10:00 or 2:00 for close up targets, and I don't have experience with that setup.

Last edited:
I would have preferred to mount it at 12:00 but there are a few things I am concerned / have reservations about.

1). On a S&B 5-25 the secondary optic may need more than the extra picatiny rail to clear the turret for line of sight (so that it can be utilised).

2). It may be more prone to damage as it is a small device protruding from the primary optic ( more likely to be damaged if dropped or in heavy scrub).

I do like however that it would be inline with the vertical stadia.

3). I do not see however how both the primary optic and the secondary optic will intersect at different ranges when using the elevation turret on the primary optic, as the primary's optic only adjusts the stadia of the primary optic and not the elevation of the rail to optic interface.

Can you also please tell me what a RMR is?

Last edited:
RMR, Micro, Dr, all good choices. Besides using it for short shots, could also use it to orient yourself for a much further shot.

Thanks Deadpool.

Starbuck, am I correct in reading that you are getting shots on target at 500 yards using your red dot secondary, if so what calibre and size are the targets are you using?

Last edited:
I run an MRDS on the Spuhr mount, zero at 300 for the .260 Rem, which is a PBR from 0 to 350 on a 10" target. That's fine for snaps and close targets, plus it puts anything the dot is on in the FOV even at 1000y and 25x.

I have a savage hog hunter with a swfa 3x15. The iron sights make for an excellent secondary sight.

Thanks Deadpool.

Starbuck, am I correct in reading that you are getting shots on target at 500 yards using your red dot secondary, if so what calibre and size are the targets are you using?

No, I do not use the RD to make the shot. I use the RD from time to time - because of the wide FOV - to locate small (1 MOA +/-) targets, at a meaningful range - to actually FIND the targets, then I transition to the primary magnified optic, reaquire the target, and release the shot. Caliber is 6.5 x47L and/or .243WIN - very similar trajectories. By the way, this is in the context of tactical matches. I am a civilian, and cannot speak to this subject with respect to how it may work or not on a "two-way range."