• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Secret Life of Brass: Part 2

thank you!

about group size with different brass; it looks like that maybe Hornady was partialy right about their findings that accuracy is not very diffenent with different brand of brass...

probably on long range it is becoming more important to get more consistent brass because of small and large difference in velocity spread with inconsistent brass (in your findings that correlate with case head thickness ≈ weight ≈ internal volume), but in short range it realy doesnt matter for non-BR shooters...

Reactions: Sniper King 2020
thank you!

about group size with different brass; it looks like that maybe Hornady was partialy right about their findings that accuracy is not very diffenent with different brand of brass...

probably on long range it is becoming more important to get more consistent brass because of small and large difference in velocity spread with inconsistent brass (in your findings that correlate with case head thickness ≈ weight ≈ internal volume), but in short range it realy doesnt matter for non-BR shooters...
Yes, agree. If you can’t get consistent brass then do what you can to make it that way - turn necks to uniform, uniform pockets, sort by case head thickness, etc.

Hi Bryan.
Yesterday I observerd funny thing with seating force when I was seating bullets.

I got smooth seating pressure when I was lubing inside the case necks, and I also got smooth seating pressure when I didn't applied lube to inside necks but when I only brushed case neck with dry brush or dry q-tip.
All bullets were lubed with Fluna Tec.

If I didn't brush or lube the necks, seating force was way bigger, even that I brushed necks months ago when I preping my brass.
Only if I brush neck prior to seating, I could lowered the seating force.

Do you have some experience with that, if I can skip lubing necks?

Reactions: Sniper King 2020
Hi Bryan.
Yesterday I observerd funny thing with seating force when I was seating bullets.

I got smooth seating pressure when I was lubing inside the case necks, and I also got smooth seating pressure when I didn't applied lube to inside necks but when I only brushed case neck with dry brush or dry q-tip.
All bullets were lubed with Fluna Tec.

If I didn't brush or lube the necks, seating force was way bigger, even that I brushed necks months ago when I preping my brass.
Only if I brush neck prior to seating, I could lowered the seating force.

Do you have some experience with that, if I can skip lubing necks?
I found the same with brushing necks which is why I do it when I plan to complete my loading sequence within the next hour. As for the inside of necks when your bullet is already lubed, the additional benefit of lining the inside of the neck is a likely reduction in SD. If you need the smallest SD possible and need the most precision, then I’d line the inside of the neck too. If you are shooting well enough with what you’re doing now, then I don’t think it’s a big deal to lube inside the necks.

Reactions: MarkyMark007