• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Security Query: Mexico

canuck

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2008
49.279785,-123.115566
I'm reaching out to the LEO and folk here on the site who have experience in/pertaining to security in Mexico.

My future sister-in-law's sixteen. Her secondary school is preparing a trip (March 2012) to the Baja region of California. The trip's goal is to go down, build some school houses, and to generally "experience rural and disadvantaged urban Mexican culture". I'll spare you my personal annotations on their motives, but it's a well-meaning, feel-good trip for the kids.

Only I'm very concerned about them going.

Here's the basics: they're driving down from British Columbia, one bus, maybe one support vehicle; likely a couple select parents and the teacher who's organizing the trip. They're staying in the immediate vicinity of the construction site, and they'll be there for a little over 60 days.

It strikes me that the teacher hasn't done a terribly great job of assessing the level of violence being experienced in the area due to the Arellano family's activities. Even if there's no immediate threat to the kids, I've concerns about violence they'll observe. (Bodies in the street, burned-out remains of the police vehicles left when each side kills the other's dirty cops, etc.)

Anecdotally, I've got some idea of what's going on. What I'm hoping site members might be able to help with is some substantiative, quantifiable documentation or testimony that I can take to the school board and to the parents of the students going that will help them to help them make an informed decision as to whether or not to kaibosh the trip.

If you can help, or just have feedback, feel free to post here or to email me at [email protected]

Re: Security Query: Mexico

Go to http://www.stratfor.com/ and check out the security assessment for the Pan American games about two thirds down the page. Stratfor is a subscription service, but you can sign up for free weekly reports and some material - like security analyses for Mexico - are available for free.

I would talk to the Canadian equivalent of the State Department...

But I think they are out of their minds, esp. when 60 days gives people lots of time to both get into trouble... and plan on how to make trouble.

Teacher should add planned travel expenses to the charity fund and see what can be done for some of Canada's Native populations in Yukon or NWT. I am 100 percent sure they can find a worthy construction project there.

Even if going to a 'safe' part of Mexico (and poverty-stricken areas where they will build houses are not in those safe zones) is it really fair to leave parents worried for weeks about their kids? Seems like kind of a well-meaning but not-well-thought-out venture.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I live in San Diego right next to the border and have many Friends who live south of the border in Mexico. That being said many 10's of thousands of people go to and from Mexico daily with no problems at all. Most of the violence happens in areas that will not be visited by children if you know what I mean.

Traveling in a larger group is a huge benefit. Much of the violence on tourists is kidnapping for ransom. Many of them do not survive.

I have no real reason to go to Mexico and that is why I haven't gone in 15+ years and don't plan on it. I just don't see the payoff for the risk and don't have a desire to go anywhere that corrupt.

I feel you on being scared. It would be an experience she would always remember and she would be doing something great. Being a father I would not let my daughter go. I would try to find something in the USA to be proud of. May not have the same gravity but I only get so many little princesses.

I am sorry if I just made the decision harder. Oh and as for security? It is usually better to NOT have security. It is a huge red flag for "kidnap me I am worth a lot of money" It would be much better to just find a local who knows the area and knows how to sense when and where to go if the SHTF.

I know Mexico well. Have travelled there and driven alone to some of the most remote parts of the country. Never had a minutes problem. That stopped about 4 years ago. I have a bunch of friends in Mexico and they all wish they could get out. The violence there is at a level we dont hear about. The Baja has like two major rads north and south. Any one or group who want to target you just watches those roads, andyour like a sitting duck. What better target than a buss full of kids for ransom?

Like the above saie, it would be an experience she would never forget....but that could be for worse as easily as for better. My advice, at this time, would be a resounding, NO.

I frequent San Quintin (200 miles below the border). I know that Mexico has its share of problems, however I do not think you should be alarmed by Mexico travel. I have never had a problem ... Same as you can be a victim here it is possible there also. But based on my 30+ years experience she should be safe

Good luck

I traveled to Mexico last October for business, company security found some of us, out of 4 vehicles, were being followed. We have expensive tools and sometimes cash for locale purchases and locale help if needed plus nice suv's. Our on site supervisor wanted firearms for us, no deal. Locale government and US state dept said no. Security outfit has firearms but can't be everywhere!
I would recommend kids don't go very scary in Old Mexico right now. I have several upper middle class friends in Northwest part of Mexico and they are very careful when and where they go.

I live on the border here in Texas and have spent many years going to Mexico and I will say this. Things are getting worse every year. Down here not to long ago the Zetas to a bus removed several people and beheaded them. A tourist bus is like a red flag. They really have no morals or codes. If they like what they see they will take it, especially a bus full of white blonde kids. To them it spells ransom or worse. Also the area this teacher wants to take them will never be safe. For that type of local populace are pretty much controlled by the cartels. If it was me i would say heck no.

I drove to Baja in Feb 2011. And I've also been to other parts of Mexico before. I plan on going back to Baja in 2012.

I also drove from Belize to Panama in Aug-Sep 2010. I did not cross through a single traffic light in Belize, Guatemala, or Honduras until I got into Nicaragua. While many take the Pan Am Highway I stuck to mostly dirt roads and visited many of the smaller towns that typical tourists do not visit.

And to top it off, I don't speak Spanish. People were so friendly down there and I felt pretty safe.

My advice is to get through Tijuana early in the morning and get as far south as possible away from the border towns (which is where most of the violence is concentrated). And don't drive at night.

F going to Mexico. I think it was a few weeks ago they were throwing grenades at each other in a market in Acupulco. American family got fragged. Dad died I believe. Cant remember Details. Google: Mexico Travel Warning

I'm half-way to wondering if there are ulterior motives for this teacher, and just how much liability and responsibility he is holding and/or willing to accept.

I am also having a hard time thinking that someone is that naive (or just plain stupid) to think that this is ok. To take young girls and boys into a foreign, 3rd world war zone.

Or have I 'over exaggerated' anything?

That trip isnt going to end well. I have never been to Mx, but have no desire to go until things get drastically better down there.