• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Seeing Double Through LPVO

Rerun7

Furious George
Minuteman
  • Feb 18, 2017
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    Someone give me a reality check here. I noticed recently that looking through my lpvo I was seeing double images with both eyes open. I tried to get a pic and you can see the shift in image when it transitions into the scope.

Is this normal or something wrong here?

I don’t recall having this issue over the last few years with this optic but am doubting myself that it might be normal and I just never noticed?

IMG_0796.jpeg

This can happen if you are cross-dominant.

Try both eyes open but use your other eye to look through the scope and see if it does the same thing.

-Stan

This can happen if you are cross-dominant.

Try both eyes open but use your other eye to look through the scope and see if it does the same thing.

-Stan
    That’s a good thought but I’ve been using this thing for a few years and just started noticing it. I tried it anyway and it does the same with both eyes.

I also have a cheaper LPVO here and it’s not doing it so I think something may be ganked with it.

Is there a vortex rep here?

Reactions: stanley_white
    The picture above is pretty typical for most 1-X power optics because most of the time 1X it's really true 1X, there's almost always a little magnification on the low end, even on expensive optics. Playing with the diopter and position of the scope can help mitigate it and provide a nice flat image but it varies from shooter to shooter.

If you're looking through the optic at the target and also seeing the target overlaid on it like this:

1710716136359.png

That's normal too, it's your brain being fucky. It happens to me on occasion depending on what prescription lenses I'm using or if I'm a little dehydrated, but since people vary, the cause can vary depending on their physiology. I don't think this is an equipment problem though.

That’s exactly what it’s doing. I tried playing with the diopter a bit but it didn’t really help.

Come to think of it, I noticed recently that I’m also starting to notice some far sightedness creep in (I’m old, haha). Didn’t even think about it but I wonder if that could have something to do with it.

Just odd that my razor is doing it and a $200 strike eagle on my .22 is not.

Interesting - couldn’t get the diopter to help without the reticle getting really blurry but if I up the magnification just a little above 1x it stops the issue.

Must just be me getting old!! Haha.

Thanks for the sanity check. Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t some obvious issue that others had experienced.

I had this exact thing happen to me with LPVO’s due to cross eye dominance. Left eye dominant, right hand shooter. Always shoot 1x both eyes open like I shoot handguns, and red dots on gas guns. Always got that slight double on the reticle. This was trialed on the NF atacr 1-8, Razor 1-6, and khales 1-8. I just accepted it was either shoot LPVO’s one eye closed or just run red dots. I went with running red dots or MPVOs.

Just in case this helps anyone else out.

This kept bugging me and I contacted vortex. They said to send them the scope.

Got a brand new one in the mail today with a note that said the other had an “internal issue”. So I guess it wasn’t just my eyes!!

Last edited:
    Haha, I’m sobered up and the new scope looks great. No issues transitioning onto it at 1x now.

I’m not gentle on my gear and I noticed it after my last competition in January so who knows.