• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Seeing FPS differences based on how powder was dropped

va_connoisseur

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2018
As the title says, I am trying to figure out a velocity issue I am experiencing. Twenty rounds loaded with 44gr of Varget in FGMM once fired cases.

So here's the deal, I loaded 20 rounds, with one difference:

(a) 10 rounds were loaded using a simple funnel (RCBS cup/funnel) to dump to charges into the case (rounds on the right)
(b) 10 rounds were loaded using a "long neck" funnel (like 4"), to dump the charges into the cases (rounds on the left)

Both groups were seated to 2.21" CBTO. However, Group A what I can only describe as a pressure ring near the top of each round. Group B did not, also there was no "crunch" when I loaded each round. There was a crunch for each round of Group A.

While the group sizes were negligible, group A was running about 25fps faster. Neither group showed pressure signs. Any ideas? Am I concerned about nothing?

Attachments

• image1 (3).jpeg
    image1 (3).jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 37
You are crunching powder which is breaking it up which is increasing the surface area which is increasing how quick it can burn in addition to packing it all tight.
This. And the ring is from the stem pressing on the bullet while it’s crunching the powder.

You are crunching powder which is breaking it up which is increasing the surface area which is increasing how quick it can burn in addition to packing it all tight.
Bingo. Spife nailed it.

The long neck funnel is settling the powder. This allows you to put more in the case or give you more air between powder and bullet. This makes perfect sense that the short funnel had crunch and the other did not.

Settling can be a helpful tool but it may allow you to over pressure so use with caution. However if you are not getting pressure it can be useful to fit more powder in with little to no compression. A tumbler can be used to settle powder by placing a case with powder on the top of it as it vibrates.

Reloading 101.

That ring... Seating those couldn't have felt "right". I speak from experience :)

Last edited:
The long neck funnel is settling the powder. This allows you to put more in the case or give you more air between powder and bullet. This makes perfect sense that the short funnel had crunch and the other did not.

Settling can be a helpful tool but it may allow you to over pressure so use with caution. However if you are not getting pressure it can be useful to fit more powder in with little to no compression. A tumbler can be used to settle powder by placing a case with powder on the top of it as it vibrates.

winner winner chicken dinners for both guys correct answers and an article on the effects of using a drop tube for reference: