• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seeking opinions - Accuracy of X Bolt Speed

ttg7ya

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2022
Manhattan Beach, CA
All - I just received as a gift a Browning X Bolt Hells Canyon Speed.

I was in the market for a .300 PRC platform and was considering building out a custom rifle. My fiance surprised me with this. It has the thin sporter 26" barrel.

I have upgraded the trigger already to the Timney.

But I really dislike the stock - looking at McMillan options with adjustable cheek.

Setting aside the after-market stock and the lack of after-market options for bottom metal and other parts.. What experience do folks have on here with the accuracy of Browning X Bolts with this barrel and action.

I have bore-sighted it with a NF NX8 2.5-20 and a 20 MOA rail. Still have not fired it. Candidly, if folks do not find it to be a 1 MIL/MOA gun at 100 meters, I may just sell it. Concern I have is barrel heating.

I’ve shot a handful, and load developed for a few. They all shot great right out of the box, especially the 300wm. They are high quality rifles, typical of Miroku of Japan. I doubt you’ll have an issue with it being an accurate rifle.

Concern I have is barrel heating.

Given your fiancé surprised you with this, if you sell it, before giving a really good try out, I would be concerned about something else. You don’t want to mess up a woman who likes to surprise you by buying you a gun.

I don’t have one, but I was next to a guy at the range that had one and was trying to dial it in at 600 yards for a hunt. The gun could perform well beyond the capabilities of the owner, who in my opinion had no business shooting more than 200 yards at anything alive. Once the RSO helped him get a steady rest, he had no problem hitting the 12” gong at 600. The owner has very little gear, very little experience, but was headed out west for a elk hunt.

That rifle doesn’t have a sporter barrel. If it did it couldn’t be threaded 5/8-24 like it comes from the factory. Secondly, this rifle was a gift to you from your fiancee. Even if untrue, she needs to think this is your favorite rifle. Do not sell it.

I’ve shot two of these in smaller cartridges. One was a 6.5CM and the other 6cm. We doped them out to 750 yards and had no problem banging the 12” plate. The only thing I dislike is the rotary magazine. It works well and feeds nicely but you have to be damn sure it goes in correctly. We had them fall out when shooting several times because they weren’t latched in.

What purpose were you planning to build a rifle before receiving this?

Reactions: stanley_white
I've had 2 X-Bolts, but different calibers, 7-08 and 204. I bought the 204 used, and never really gave it enough of a chance to see how well it would shoot before selling it. I never shot the 7-08 for groups, just got it dialed in and hunted with it a few times. I kinda regret selling that one, but I had a major space issue and some things had to go.

Anyway, it was accurate enough to put 1 thru this pigs ear at 85 yards, standing and using a 1/2" thick tree branch for a rest. 😂

eDpv0Qz.jpg

And like others have already said, and for the same reasons, do NOT sell that rifle.

My wife has bought several for me over the years and they aren't going anywhere.

I don't have an X bolt anymore, but my dad does, and put it in a mcmillan game scout. It's probably his most accurate rifle next to his custom barreled rifles.