• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Seeking optic recommendations

PaseMkr

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2013
Hi all,

I am in the precess of waiting for my DTA SRS A1 rifle w/a 22" .308 conversion kit. I eventually plan on purchasing a .338 26" conversion kit and a .338 can. I am hoping to tap into the wealth of knowledge here and get some ideas from you all in terms of what optic that you would recommend. I am leaning towards something along the line of a 5-25x56mm, first focal plane, but I am open to all suggestions pertaining to the scope, features, recticle, etc.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Price range? What optic(s) are you using on your current rifle(s)? Do you plan to compete with this setup?

Provide additional information so that you will receive helpful assistance.

I have had a DTA SRS A1 with 260, 308 and 338 barrel conversions since August and still waiting for the second DTA I ordered March 1st. I've been using a Vortex Razor HD 5-20X mil/mil scope on it and it's been a great package. I also have 2 nice March scopes F 3-24X and FX 5-40X. I think the new Nightforce BEAST will be the perfect scope for the DTA platform and have had one on order for several months. We'll see! You gonna love your DTA. Everone that's shoots mine and is surprised by the light smooth trigger pull in a bullpup design.

I have a DTA 308 and 338 just like you have on order and have been running a Steiner 5-25x56 . The gun and scope are awesome, I would highly recommend the Steiner. After months of reading reviews , talking with people and from past experience I chose the Steiner and couldn't be happier. Good luck with your purchase

Price range? What optic(s) are you using on your current rifle(s)? Do you plan to compete with this setup?

Provide additional information so that you will receive helpful assistance.

Price range $2500-$4000. Not sure if I will compete, but wlould like the option to if I can excel to a respectable level. In all honesty, I am not at all versed in scopes or recticles for long range shooting. This rifle with be my first caliber above 5.56 and I want to learn the art of long range marksmanship as best as I am capable. My optic experience is currently limited to 4x on battle rifles, my IWI Tavor has a Leupold HAMR w/a Deltapoint, My 10.5" SCAR has an ACOG w/RMR, My LWRC has an Aimpoint Micro T1 with a flip to side 3x magnifier. That's why I was also looking for suggestions on recticles. I like that the BEAST is 1st focal plane and will check it out! Some have also suggested the NF ATACR and the Premier Reticles 5-25x56 Tactical with the Gen 2 XR reticle. I'm surprised no one screaming Schmidt & Bender. Please forgive the fact that I am a complete newb. I started reloading about 3 years ago and I am now looking to branch out my hobby of firearms a little more.

Check out Schmidt 5-25x56 H2CMR. I prefer the standard DT (non MTC). I've tried most of what's available in this price range. Overall I have not found an optic equal to Schmidt. In your stated price range all of the scopes will be very good. This is a very subjective topic and everyone has their own preferences. My preference is Schmidt and it is what sits atop the majority of my rifles. Although I have others (March, Premier, Khales, and USO) and enjoy using them.

Try to get behind the scopes you are considering and choose one with features you prefer and fits your needs best.