• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seekins Havak vs Q The Fix

Tug556

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2018
MINNESOTA
I am looking at getting my first long range rifle. I have been shooting 3 gun for a while now and I am looking at broadening my shooting horizons. I am not really thinking of doing PRS competitions (3 gun is just too addicting), but I would like something to reach out there with.

I have decided I either want to go with a 308 or a 6.5 creedmoor. The 6.5 creedmoor sounds like an awesome round, but the longest range in my area is 400 yards, so I am not sure if I would ever use the extra range of a 6.5.

I have also narrowed the rifles down to the Fix or the Havak rifle. I really like the looks of the Fix, but I also have a 40% off coupon for the Havak rifle.

You guys have any advice? I jave been trying to lurk on here and read everything I can. There really is so much to learn.

40% off the Havak is pretty significant. And I'd give you $200 for the carbon fiber mag if it comes with it.

For competition, I’d get the Seekins. For hunting and anything else, The Fix.

I am looking at getting my first long range rifle. I have been shooting 3 gun for a while now and I am looking at broadening my shooting horizons. I am not really thinking of doing PRS competitions (3 gun is just too addicting), but I would like something to reach out there with.

I have decided I either want to go with a 308 or a 6.5 creedmoor. The 6.5 creedmoor sounds like an awesome round, but the longest range in my area is 400 yards, so I am not sure if I would ever use the extra range of a 6.5.

I have also narrowed the rifles down to the Fix or the Havak rifle. I really like the looks of the Fix, but I also have a 40% off coupon for the Havak rifle.

You guys have any advice? I jave been trying to lurk on here and read everything I can. There really is so much to learn.
With a 6.5, it's not all about the distance; it's about recoil and I have always had a much easier time loading for the 308

I've read here that the recoil lug on the Havak is oversized and can be problematic with some chassis. before buying a chassis I'd confirm with Seekins and the chassis manufacturer that they'll work together, or what mods are necessary.

I have a new Kelbly Atlas waiting for a barrel to be threaded and chambered but still catch myself drifting over to the Seekins ws to look at the HAVAK action, I'm sure I will end up with one maybe before the other rifle is finished.

I considered a Seekins before I bought The Fix, what it came down to for me was whether this was a rifle I wanted to mess around with and modify, or just shoot? I decided this was a "just shoot it" rifle and The Fix was a great choice, I love it. If I wanted lots of options, adjustable trigger, etc. for competition I probably would have gotten the Seekins and a chassis................. and still bought The Fix too! ;-)

Thanks for the responses. That makes a lot of sense about the Seekins being a gun to mess around and modify and the Fix to be just to shoot.

What about the 16 inch barrel on a 308? Is that too short or can you still shoot our there a ways with the 16 inch barrel?

Thanks for the responses. That makes a lot of sense about the Seekins being a gun to mess around and modify and the Fix to be just to shoot.

What about the 16 inch barrel on a 308? Is that too short or can you still shoot our there a ways with the 16 inch barrel?
If the twist rate of the barrel is appropriate the 308 can still be very effective at 16" if you can tolerate the noise and muzzle blast, put a can on it and problem solved.

I shoot my 16" Fix to 335 almost every day. No problem at all, but still good for learning the wind. A 1 moa target at 335 is a load of fun in the wind. Plus you can always switch to 6.5 when you absolutely have to hit. :)

Seekins rifle should fit any 700 footprint chassis.
Should but it doesn't with some Rem700 stocks. I have a Rem700 AG Composite stock and the bolt hits the magazine. I've had the stock checked and it's all to Rem700 to the thousandth.