• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Seekins Precision 338 Lapua Bottom Metal Issue

338macgruber

Private
Minuteman
May 2, 2012
Utah, U.S.A.
www.hooliganmedia.com
I have a Remington 700 .338 Lapua custom build that started as a 300 ultra mag ADL.

I just picked up a Seekins Precision Bottom Metal & lined everything up with 2 the stock/action screws & am having feed issues.

The base of the casing is catching a lip on the rear of the action (see pictures below)

Do I need to have the rear of the action machined at a 45-60 degree angle to push the rounds forward, or is there a spacer that needs to be added inside the back of the magazine to keep the rounds pushed forward to miss the lip on my action?

Thanks for the help.

P.S. I have searched the forum and the google for similar issues & haven't had any luck finding a solution.

seekins-1.jpg

seekins-2.jpg

seekins-3.jpg

Re: Seekins Precision 338 Lapua Bottom Metal Issue

Im getting a 338 RUM built buy Phoenix custom rifles, It is a Rem ADL same as yours. You have to have that piece milled off.

Yes the ADL bottom metal has 3 screws that bolt it to the action as the BDL has 2 screws. If you plan on leaving the seekins DBM on the action don't worry about having it milled off.

Makes sense. I have had the rifle in a HS-Precision M24 stock with a Remington BDL floorplate & am getting ready to install the Seekins.

Thanks again for your help.

Im using the Seeking DBM to. Are you building a 338 Lapua on the 700 action?

Yes. The rifle is already built. It started as a Remington 700 300 Ultra Mag ADL.

It is now a 338 Lapua with Shilen Select Match Barrel 1/10 twist in the H.S. Precision M24 Stock, Jewell HVTBR Trigger, McCann Industries MIRS 20MOA rail system.

Shoots 3 round groups at .343" diameter @ 100yds with the 300g SMK

I just decided to add the Seekins DBM and ran into this issue.

Sounds Good. I was reading some posts about building a 338 Lapua on a 700 action before I decided to build my Rum, People were saying that the 700 action would not be able to handle the 338 Lapua, but a 338 Rum would be fine in a 700 action. So thats why I went with the Rum.

How does it shoot for you?

It shoots amazing. Sub-MOA 3-round groups measuring 0.343" at the widest diameter with 300g SMK's.

I believe you can only go up to 250g projectiles with the 338 RUM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dt00083</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes the ADL bottom metal has 3 screws that bolt it to the action as the BDL has 2 screws. If you plan on leaving the seekins DBM on the action don't worry about having it milled off.</div></div>

Ok, so I took a photo of 3 Rem 700 Long Action 338 Lapua Actions - the top one was an ADL & the bottom two are BDL - there is no difference? Is it standard procedure for using the Seekins DBM to mill off the rear lip on the action to allow the longer magazines for all Remington Actions? - See pic:
rem-700-adl-vs-bdl-actions.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Issue Resolved!</span>

I just spoke with Brad @ Phoenix Custom Rifles who has done quite a few of these Seekins 338 Lapua DBM installs-

After the action, stock, & bottom metal have all been properly lined up with the action screws (with no screws hitting the stock pillar walls at an angle, etc.) measure where the rear of the magazine hits against the ADL screw hole & very carefully mill the protruding lip back until the magazine clears - it helps to cut a little at the time, re-fit & re-measure until it works - you don't want to over-shoot it & remove too much metal. Also, when all is milled & done, there will most likely be a burr that comes up into the bold path that you will need to file down with a jewelers file and some 300 grit sand paper.

Big thanks to Brad at Phoenix Custom Rifles - he was extremely knowledgeable and very good at communicating the process to me over the phone. We need more gunsmiths like him in the industry.

Did you get the DBM from us? If so, you should have gotten instructions explaining all of the modifications needed. Our lapua kit is extra long and the action needs to be modified to allow the longer OAL to feed. If you run into anything else just give us a call or email and we can help.

Hi Glen-

I bought it from a friend that has had it for a while.

I do not have the original instructions. (It has never been installed).

I have tried calling your shop & have not had any luck getting through to anyone.

I will send you an email.

Thanks!